Fur under mouth looks slightly off

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I did use it specifically for chin acne. One cat, my avatar ironically, developed a major case of it. She dislikes being handled in any way that may restrain her, so it was difficult to apply it. I did manage to sort of soak it in and I am sure that it did reach her skin.

This could certainly be an allergy though, which is why the other product is not working.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Something just occurred to me as I was giving Topaz his hairball paste... I changed brands about a week before I first noticed his mouth irritation (I confirmed this through Whatsapp messages with my parents, who are doting grandparents and require frequent updates lol)

He was originally taking Smilla's Malt Paste:
By-products of vegetable origin (43% malt extract), oils and fats, yeasts. Additives: antioxidants.

As it was out of stock when we were about to finish the tube, I ordered Beaphar's Malt Paste with MOS:
Oils and fats, milk and dairy by-products, malt extracts (12%), yeasts (MOS 1%), minerals. Additives: colorants, antioxidants.

Now I'm wondering... I just ordered Smilla's paste again. I don't want to remove the paste as it he hasn't had any hairballs at all since we made this part of our routine. We went through a whole tube of Smilla's paste without any issues. But I'm wondering if any slight changes in the formulation could have caused an irritation - I notice the only differences are milk and dairy by-products and colorants.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is worth a try. Sometimes these things are caused by minor, obscure problems like an additive or something that you would not suspect.

Very cute that your parents consider him to be their grandchild.:itslove:

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is worth a try. Sometimes these things are caused by minor, obscure problems like an additive or something that you would not suspect.

Very cute that your parents consider him to be their grandchild.:itslove:
Right? I realized that was the only new thing. He had already eaten the home cooked diet for about a month earlier in the year, and nothing had happened. The paste, however, was new. I think this has been on my mind since the nutritionist included this in an email to me over a week ago:

"Generally, the signs of allergies start in 4 to 7 days but then can take 3 to 10 weeks to clear up on an elimination diet."

I mean, I realize this is a wonky elimination diet as it obviously contains more than one protein source, due to the paste. No one is inclined to remove the paste completely though - the nutritionist knows about it as well, but he's a maine coon that's shedding and threw up two hairballs in one month before I introduced the paste, back in April. I'd rather not risk a blockage, even if it does make everything more complicated. It can't ever be easy!

Back to Smilla's paste we go, and we'll test that for a while before attempting to change the recipe of his meals.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have one cat who had an episode of constipation and I would not risk it again either. If the paste has helped, you need to use it.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who had an episode of constipation and I would not risk it again either. If the paste has helped, you need to use it.
Definitely will. He used to throw up hairballs once every 4-5 weeks... since he has so much fur and sheds a lot, it was never a concern. Plus he doesn't feel sick from it, he does it and immediately moves on with his life. But when I say he did it twice in one month, what I meant is that he threw up two hairballs in the same week, two days apart. The first one happened about 4 weeks after his last hairball... I started giving him the paste daily on the day of that 2nd hairball and it's never happened again, that was almost 2 months ago. His record before that had been 5 weeks, and we beat it. It works and I won't stop giving it to him - if it ends up being what's causing the skin irritation, then we'll work to find a different formulation.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree. Graycie is long haired and also likes to groom herself despite being seriously brushed daily. Her hairballs are under control now and I don't plan to let them start up again.

gabicards

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree. Graycie is long haired and also likes to groom herself despite being seriously brushed daily. Her hairballs are under control now and I don't plan to let them start up again.
I brush Topaz pretty much every day too, and he usually starts grooming himself when I do it. It's almost as if he thinks I'm getting him dirty with the brush lol

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is funny how they think. Graycie, for a cat who almost died on the streets, is now very picky about how I "style" her hair and gets squawky if she is not brushed just right.