Fur on flea scars growing white?

catcafé@home

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a black, 5 month old male kitten that we found off the street when he was 2 months old and had a bad flea infestation which caused scabbing and fur loss on his shoulders. He's all healed up now, but he has an unusual amount of white fur in the area, and I don't think it's a fever coat because of how old he was when it came in and how it's localized to where he had the flea injuries. Is it probably his scars, and will his fur always look like this?
Pictures attached of what I could get of his shoulders (for he doubles in wiggliness whenever he detects a plot to photograph his shoulders apparently) plus a general photo as I've lurked here enough to know you all appreciate a good cat photo :)
20230908_191315-1.jpg 20230908_191351-1.jpg 20230725_073220_HDR-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is possible that enough damage was done to the skin to destroy pigment cells. It has happened to people who experience badly damaged skin. Whether or not the pigment cells could regenerate is beyond my knowledge level, but I suppose it might be possible.

Fever coats in kittens are usually identified by dark roots and a lighter silver/grey towards the tip. As the hair grows out the dark takes over and the white-silver hairs are shed and 'disappear'. You could check to see if the roots are dark, either denoting a late case of a fever coat, or the possibility of dark hair returning to your cat. Odds are if the pigment has been damaged, you would find light colored roots.