Fur... fur everywhere!!!

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our two kittens have been moulting a lot more over the winter months.  I hoover that flat perhaps 4-5 times a week and our cleaner does a thorough clean once a week.  However our bed and clothes are covered with the stuff and despite constant lint-rollering its hard to keep on top of.  I have a bog standard cat brush from Amazon. Dennis likes being brushed, Squish hates it.  It doesn't actually seem to get rid of that much even with a long brushing session.

We think they are siamese/ragdoll cross kittens, so they have light dense fur which is sleek on most of their body and tufty on their tummies.

Has anyone got any recommendations for amazing brushes for short fur? and any other tips for keeping a household (particuarly bedding and clothing) fur free?

Thanks in advance x

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
the Furminator does a good job at pulling dead fur out of cats. or a thin wire comb.

Good quality food can help reduce shedding. Is the house dry? i find if my home is dry, the cats tend to shed a bit more too.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll second what Draco said.  We use a Furminator for both our long haired and short haired cats and it really pulls out an amazing amount.  Also, I've noticed that the long haired cat gets some dandruff wintertime - but not nearly as much as she used to when we first got her and changed her diet to grain free foods. 

We wipe down surfaces with a moist cloth to pick up loose hairs, and I bought a pet hair remover to pick them up from furniture; I think it's by 3M possibly.  But it's a losing battle.  Cats shed.  There is no two ways about it.  Fur free is an illusion. We do the best possible but other than banning them from rooms which we wouldn't ever do, we've accepted it for what it is.

Last edited:

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both the Zoom Groom and the rubber Kitty Curry Brush seem to loosen a lot of Dandy's hair but then I don't know what to do with it.  She's not too fond of being brushed or sticky-rollered (the loose hair seems to accumulate around her tail). I have a Furminator but it's an old one and while it gets some, the other two brushes seem to loosen as much.

She's 1/2 ragdoll and 1/2 siamese with a short coat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all.  I will have a look at the furminator and the zoom groom. I know its part and parcel of having cats :) I don't mind going through reels of lint rollers - it is def worth it :D

Diana - do you having photos of Dandy? Would love to see more siamese/ragdoll crosses as I am pretty certain know that is what our two are!

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry but I have no photos of Dandy right now.  I keep thinking I will get a camera working, but it hasn't happened yet.

catgirl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats ne with long fur and one with sort fur, the amazing brush that works with both of my cats is the Furmanaor  you can get it from pet smart or amazon. hope this advice helped you

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks catgirl.  I have ordered the zoomgroom for now as it was a lot cheaper but if that doesn't work sufficiently I will give the furminator a go :)

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A good diet can also help with shedding. 

For my short haired gal I have a Zoom Groom and Furminator - I use both on separate occasions, but mostly reach for the Zoom Groom. Afterwards, I take a comb and collect the fur that is on her, and wipe her down with a wet rag. 

Now, for my long haired guy once a week I loosen his coat up with the Zoom Groom and use a metal comb. Afterwards I wipe him down also, just like my short haired gal. Everyday I give him a quick comb down with a moulting comb - which is a comb with alternating long and short teeth. This is also the comb I use for my short haired gal after I Zoom Groom her.

The kitty curry brush I use it to clean cat trees, lol.

willowlondon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The zoom groom came and it is fantastic! Dennis absolutely loves it and purrs away happily.  However Squish HATES being brushed and just does a slug impression to avoid the brush or runs away under the table or up the cat tree!! Any tips on getting her to come round to it?

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad the Zoom Groom works.  I could use those tips. Sometimes I can brush one side.  Okay, this is not the cat I envisioned (I pried her jaws off my wrist this am and she smeared poo on my shirt so I am not feeling too charitable.)  DH picked that name and I would go for Grumpy or something about now.