Fur babies replacing Real babies?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wanted kids till one of my friends had one at 19 ... I loved to "barrow" her but that was it... lol.. My mom is starting to get the grand kitty , doggy and fishies...My friends know that I will be the old lady they find dead with a mini zoo..And I will die with a smile on my face

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel the same way about dogs. Its fun to play with them and pet them and stuff when they are there, but I couldnt ever take one home because I have no patience for dogs. Im like a big lazy cat myself sometimes xD. Dogs you ahve to walk, and they want so much more attention than cats, and they always want to play, adn THEN They do that THING where they will sit and stare at you when you are eating, or WORSE YET go sit in a corner and look at you out of the corner o ftheir eyes o_O That annoys me so much. My cats dont do that. if I give them nothing at first they will go away. O_O I cannot stand it when a dog stares at me when I am eating. I dont know why but I just hate that. Heh... I think of kids the same way, I like em, but I wouldnt want to keep them unless they were my own? Like if the dog was my OWN i would like it, because I would train it to be a good dog. If I had kids, i would bring them up to be good. I dont think I could stand someone else's cat either. I like mine because they are so well behaved and good, but sometimes toher people's pets can be annoying O_O

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

And has anyone had the old line of "but it's different when it's your own!".

Please!, when i know what i want and what i don't want, i know!.
But it is different when it is your own. I can tolerate a lot more from my kids than from anyone elses! LOL!

That said, I don't think anyone should have kids to appease their parents, or anyone else. Kids are a huge commitment, and not for everyone. And if you are as great with kids as you say, you are a great resource for all the other Mom's and Dad's of humoon kids! It is great to have someone "borrow" your kids for a few hours, giving the kids a fun experience and giving Mom or Dad a break.

I personally have 4 kids, and always wanted 4. But now that my baby is 5, I am definitely fulfilling my baby urges with kittens! I see nothing wrong with anyone doing the same, whether or not they want humoon babies.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pandybear

i can just imagine the look of shock on mums face when i bring pandy and bonnie over for a visit and say 'hey mum, meet your grandchildren'
Silly -they are grandcats, not grandkids!

I have very low tolerance for 2 legged kids. Give me cats and dogs please!

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll add a funny note to this.....I've always known that I didn't want kids, my mom tells me that I didnt' deal well with children when I was one myself! Turns out that I couldn't have 'em anyway, ...but I digress, lol.....actually there are two funnies about this...the first happened, oh about three years after we married, and every little old lady that I've ever known had been bugging me about when was I going to have one. One of them caught me one night at the funeral home, and granted, I was tired and didn't feel good, but she asked me when was I going to , I politely looked her in the eye, laughed and told her that at the rate I was going, probably about the same time that hell froze over! She laughed and told me not to worry, she wouldn't ask me again, lol!! And till the day that I had my hysterectomy, she kept that promise!

The second really relates to mom and the grandcats....My mom is a great lady, with a wicked sense of humor. She didn't really want kids either, and really didn't want grandkids, so this deal was great for her! About the time this happened, I only had two, maybe three cats, and she had some pictures of them. Well....this lady that went to school with mom kept bugging her about when was I going to make her a grandma..........Mom finally got fed up, and told her that she had some pics, but asked the lady not to laugh, 'cause they were handicapped a bit, and had some physical problems (dedpan serious here), the lady told mom that she'd never laugh at any handicapped kid, so mom whipped out the pics of the kits.....and the lady took one look and burst out laughing about it! To this day, she hasn't asked mom that again, either!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never wanted kids, that is until I hit 30-ish.
I want them now, but I'm not getting any younger, and my window for having them is closing.
I do not want to wait until I'm so old that I physically cannot do a lot of things with them, my older brother waited, now he and his wife are always just so tired now that their kids are old enough to go out and do things.

I haven't given up yet though, but my pets are my kids, my fiance' feels the same way, nothing will change that.

Nothing at all wrong with not having/wanting kids, there are plenty of living things out there that need our love.

fat clumsy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Iwanted real kids and fur kids. However, I felt that it is not up to wherever I want them a not for real kids. For fur kids, you can either go to SPCA to adopt one, pet shop to buy one or just pick one up on the street. For real kids, it is up to god to see if he wants you to have one. If you are going to adopt or go that unnatural way of having a kid, you will need lots of money.

sanctie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brilliant with kids too, everyone likes to give me theirs on a regular basis. I play on-call mommy at least once a week, so I get my fill (overflowing) of kids, lol. I love them and cant wait till the stage in my life where I can enjoy children of my own, but at my ripe young age of 21, brokeness, and oh yeah, being single....For some reason I dont forsee being able to have kids any time soon!! I truly do feel like Conner is my baby. Everyone makes fun of me for treating him so much like a baby. He's a handful on his own, I couldnt imagine balancing his antics and neediness with a newborn's needs and attention. Phew, how do you multiple species mothers do it????

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I always wanted fur babies and real babies, but wasn't able to have children. I think it just wasn't meant to be, so I've relished my role as an aunt (3 nieces and 3 nephews) and teacher (hundreds and hundreds of "surrogate children"), not to mention Sam and fwan here (sorry, but I've unilaterally adopted you). My parents were always very into pets, but my in-laws weren't, so I'm still a bit surprised that they both say, "Come to Oma/Opa!" to our pets. My father-in-law is afraid of both dogs and cats. They stopped by yesterday evening, and Jamie proceeded to climb all over my f-i-l ("cat torture" - he unties his shoelaces, "combs" his hair, licks his ears, etc.). I told him to get down, and my f-i-l said, "Let him be - that's what grandfathers are for!", which got us all giggling. He actually brags about how big and smart his "grandcat" is.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I always wanted fur babies and real babies, but wasn't able to have children. I think it just wasn't meant to be, so I've relished my role as an aunt (3 nieces and 3 nephews) and teacher (hundreds and hundreds of "surrogate children"), not to mention Sam and fwan here (sorry, but I've unilaterally adopted you). My parents were always very into pets, but my in-laws weren't, so I'm still a bit surprised that they both say, "Come to Oma/Opa!" to our pets. My father-in-law is afraid of both dogs and cats. They stopped by yesterday evening, and Jamie proceeded to climb all over my f-i-l ("cat torture" - he unties his shoelaces, "combs" his hair, licks his ears, etc.). I told him to get down, and my f-i-l said, "Let him be - that's what grandfathers are for!", which got us all giggling. He actually brags about how big and smart his "grandcat" is.
I love having you as my Aunt, and who knows maybe one day I'll take up that offer of adoption!