Fungal Infection?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My courtyard attracts cats from all over, and I do not have the courage to send them away.
Last year a cat with her four tiny kittens landed here. The four kittens were re-homed a few weeks later, the mom was spayed. She stayed since.
Now a new tom cat arrived. He's 9 months old, I'm thinking of having him neutered soon.
A few days ago I noticed a tiny hairless round spot near his mouth. Now I have noticed a similar hairless spot on the mom's head.
Is it a fungal infection? What should I do? What should I not do?
I will discuss this with my vets, but these are quite feral cats, do not like traveling, nor will I be able to pill them or give them a bath!
Any idea?

PSX_20180428_194150.jpg

Mom's head, today

PSX_20180428_200456.jpg

Tom cat's mouth, Wednesday

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, Antonio65 Antonio65 , this could be ringworm starting, but the usual remedies are going to be useless in your particular situation. I'm actually going to ask one of the moderators to move your question into the appropriate area of the Feral Forum, where experts in feral care will notice it faster!

BLESS YOU for all you do for these cats! You are one of my heroes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to add that three weeks ago I put a Seresto collar to this mom, along with an aluminum tag with her name and my phone number.
She lives outside, with her own house and beds. Eats wet and dry food in steel dishes. Drinks from a plastic bowl.

The real interesting thing is that one of her four kittens, re-homed at the end of last August, developed the same issue in mid March. This kitten, which has recently turned 1 on Tuesday, lives indoors only, with no other pets and with only one human. This kitten, now an adult cat, had two bald spots, one where her mom now has hers, and one where the black tom cat has his.
She was taken to the vet who thought it was a fungus. This morning, before I noticed what Mom Cat had, I was told that the kitten is much better. She was given an antibiotic shot a month ago, and two special baths. She was re-visited and it turned out it wasn't a fungus, but it is unclear what it was.

I cuddle these two feral cats daily... Should I refrain myself from doing that?

PSX_20180429_002807.jpg

The Black Cat and Mom Cat today in the early afternoon, before I noticed the bald spot on Mom's head.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to add that three weeks ago I put a Seresto collar to this mom, along with an aluminum tag with her name and my phone number.
She lives outside, with her own house and beds. Eats wet and dry food in steel dishes. Drinks from a plastic bowl.

The real interesting thing is that one of her four kittens, re-homed at the end of last August, developed the same issue in mid March. This kitten, which has recently turned 1 on Tuesday, lives indoors only, with no other pets and with only one human. This kitten, now an adult cat, had two bald spots, one where her mom now has hers, and one where the black tom cat has his.
She was taken to the vet who thought it was a fungus. This morning, before I noticed what Mom Cat had, I was told that the kitten is much better. She was given an antibiotic shot a month ago, and two special baths. She was re-visited and it turned out it wasn't a fungus, but it is unclear what it was.

I cuddle these two feral cats daily... Should I refrain myself from doing that?

View attachment 228990
The Black Cat and Mom Cat today in the early afternoon, before I noticed the bald spot on Mom's head.
Well, depending what it is...but that never stopped me.
I had ring worm as a kid from cuddling kittens and cats with ring worm. Desenex cleared it up on me, but that was years ago of course.
If you do decide to TNR this male, maybe do so and tell the vet to take a peek at it while he's under...maybe an long lasting antibiotic shot would clear it up. If they can be handled, there may be a spray that would help that you could spray onto a cloth and "pet" the area with the cloth provided it's safe to be around their mouths, etc.
Thanks for loving them.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what it is. It could be ringworm. If it's ringworm you don't have to treat it, they will get better on their own. You might want to avoid cuddling them for a little while, because you can catch it and its very itchy. I had it once.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they can be handled, there may be a spray that would help that you could spray onto a cloth and "pet" the area with the cloth provided it's safe to be around their mouths, etc.
Thanks for loving them.
This is a very good tip! Thanks 1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 .
I will show the vet the photo before taking him in. Tomorrow, of course.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what it is. It could be ringworm. If it's ringworm you don't have to treat it, they will get better on their own. You might want to avoid cuddling them for a little while, because you can catch it and its very itchy. I had it once.
Thanks surya surya , that's comforting. Anyway I'll show the photos to the vets so we can be sure of what it is.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I showed the photos to the vets in a practice near home. They know me, but I rarely took in a cat there.
Anyway they were kind, looked at the photo and agreed it's a mycosis, so they gave me a prescription for an antimycotic cream to be applied on the spot once a day until the spots get clear.
No charge for the prescription, 10 euro for the cream at the pharmacy :)

I put the cream to both cats yesterday and today.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Excellent!

Your care for these street cats is an example to all of how this world should work.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Keep doing it! Kindness is what makes this world keep on turning without blowing up entirely. HUGS!