Fungal ear infection with abscess

fatfelix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just got back from the vet today and it turns out my cat didn't have ear mites like I suspected. Turns out he had a bad case of fungal infection in his ears. He also has an abscess on both sides of the face so we were given doxicyxline and some fungal lotion called Micoderm. I bought him an e-collar too so that he'll stop trying to scratch his ear off and further harming his bump/abscess.

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone else had experienced this with their cats? I trust my vet but I really need words of assurance right now because i'm scared that the infection might kill him or something. :(

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just got back from the vet today and it turns out my cat didn't have ear mites like I suspected. Turns out he had a bad case of fungal infection in his ears. He also has an abscess on both sides of the face so we were given doxicyxline and some fungal lotion called Micoderm. I bought him an e-collar too so that he'll stop trying to scratch his ear off and further harming his bump/abscess.

Anyway, i was wondering if anyone else had experienced this with their cats? I trust my vet but I really need words of assurance right now because i'm scared that the infection might kill him or something.
It's not going to kill him, he just needs treatment.  Keep the E-collar on, and call your vet if it gets worse.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our cats used to be prone to fungal infections in his ears, and the vet prescribed Tresaderm ear drops.  Unfortunately, they didn't help that much, and the vet didn't want to try oral medications unless we absolutely had to.  But the antibiotics worked beautifully in treating the bacterial part of the infection.  It just took some time, which always feels like an eternity when you're an anxious pet parent.

During our most recent visit to the vet, I had discussed starting our cats on probiotics because I thought it might help improve their immune systems, and healthier immune systems might help them better fight off infections.  The vet was fine with that, but I don't think either one of us really expected it to magically cure anything.

Within about a week of starting our cats on Proviable-DC, the fungal infection started to clear up.  Now it's completely gone.

Maybe it was just a coincidence, and our cat had a delayed reaction to what the vet had prescribed.  I dunno.  All I know is that I'm going to keep giving our cats Proviable-DC.  It at least makes me feel better.

Hope your kitty feels better soon. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fatfelix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not going to kill him, he just needs treatment.  Keep the E-collar on, and call your vet if it gets worse.
Thank god! I was really worried that the infection might become systemic cos his abscess was the size of a ping pong ball and looked quite painful. I keep his e-collar on throughout the day, although I do take it off thrice: in the morning, noon, and evening. He has a hard time eating and drinking with the collar on. And it's easier to apply his anti-fungal lotion too. I have to keep a close watch on him though cos he's still itchy. I wonder when his itching will stop. It's still day 2 anyway, I hope it'll go away soon. :(

fatfelix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our cats used to be prone to fungal infections in his ears, and the vet prescribed Tresaderm ear drops.  Unfortunately, they didn't help that much, and the vet didn't want to try oral medications unless we absolutely had to.  But the antibiotics worked beautifully in treating the bacterial part of the infection.  It just took some time, which always feels like an eternity when you're an anxious pet parent. :)

During our most recent visit to the vet, I had discussed starting our cats on probiotics because I thought it might help improve their immune systems, and healthier immune systems might help them better fight off infections.  The vet was fine with that, but I don't think either one of us really expected it to magically cure anything.

Within about a week of starting our cats on Proviable-DC, the fungal infection started to clear up.  Now it's completely gone.

Maybe it was just a coincidence, and our cat had a delayed reaction to what the vet had prescribed.  I dunno.  All I know is that I'm going to keep giving our cats Proviable-DC.  It at least makes me feel better. ;)

Hope your kitty feels better soon.  :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
I have a Miconazole Nitrate lotion for his ears and the ring worms and abscess. Also, the doctor prescribed Doxycycline 2.25 mL once a day. It's a syrup kind of med and it's absolute HELL to get him to drink it. I have to wrap him in a towel to keep him from moving but getting him to open his mouth is another thing. The whole process can get messy.

I will ask my vet about the probiotics. Hopefully, they're not too expensive. Thank you!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank god! I was really worried that the infection might become systemic cos his abscess was the size of a ping pong ball and looked quite painful. I keep his e-collar on throughout the day, although I do take it off thrice: in the morning, noon, and evening. He has a hard time eating and drinking with the collar on. And it's easier to apply his anti-fungal lotion too. I have to keep a close watch on him though cos he's still itchy. I wonder when his itching will stop. It's still day 2 anyway, I hope it'll go away soon.
Has the abscess popped yet?

fatfelix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has the abscess popped yet?
Not yet. The vet didn't say anything about popping it though. She just made my cat take meds and asked me to clean the area. But the abscess has gone down now and isn't as big as it was before. Is it necessary to pop the abscess? Should I bring it up with my vet?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not yet. The vet didn't say anything about popping it though. She just made my cat take meds and asked me to clean the area. But the abscess has gone down now and isn't as big as it was before. Is it necessary to pop the abscess? Should I bring it up with my vet?
No don't pop it!  Abscesses that are caused by wounds via a cat bite are often dealt with using a warm compress and in time they naturally break and drain.  But this isn't that type of abscess so i would just follow your vet's instructions but yes of course you can discuss it.....

fatfelix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No don't pop it!  Abscesses that are caused by wounds via a cat bite are often dealt with using a warm compress and in time they naturally break and drain.  But this isn't that type of abscess so i would just follow your vet's instructions but yes of course you can discuss it.....
I will discuss it with my vet when I come by the clinic. Thank you so much! I did know that human abscesses had to be drained to relieve pressure but I wasn't sure with cats. [emoji]128522[/emoji]