Fundraising Ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thanks for all the info guys. I'll copy this down and show it at the meeting tomorrow night.

We do have a local radio station on our side, (103.1 fresh fm) they were actually the station that told the hockey players about us.

I'll also tell them to contact a couple of news stations around to see what they can do.

Me, and 2 other girls so far have both volunteered to shave our lovely locks off if we reach our goal. We are in the process of recruting more people.

Good ideas about the shows... We'll have to discuss this at the meeting, we are going to need ALOT of volunteers for this fundraiser, and we want to make sure we have enough people to man everything.

Hmm, never considered an auction before. We do ask businesses for donations as door prizes for some of our events. Tomorrow me and the owner are going to Winter Wheat to get some items to raffle off at the mall this weekend. Winter Wheat is an awesome place with all sorts of goodies.

We are planning the garage/yard sale, we have been gathering items since the summer and have a lot of things so far.

Everything sounds awesome.

I'll let you know about the necklaces too!

And Yup! For this Magic Show we are having this Friday, we had a lot of local businesses donate money to help fund the show, and in turn they get advertisement at the show. Half goes to us, half to the other people.. last year we did this and raised about $1500-$2000 I can't remember. We also sell baked goods and beverages. We get the drinks for free because the owner of the rescue works at a Wendy's in town, and they are very supportive and donate all sorts of things we need.

This is getting me really excited, that pretty soon we might own the building, and not have to worry that we will get kicked out with almost 200 kitties and nowhere for them to go!

And yes, since we have started purchasing the building and have it all (I think it's 9000 sqft, but I'll check on that) we have been taking more dogs in. We used to send them striaght to foster homes, but now we have a room at the centre that is large, it has a couch, and a tv with cable and a dvd player in it. But sicne we've gotten that room, we've taken more dogs in than we have the past 6 years.
A dog walk-a-thon is an option... excpet for the fact that the other rescue does it too, and I don't know if people will want to do it twice a year. St Thomas is big... but not that big.
Unless we could do it in London or another nearby city, then i don't know if this will be an option.

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions... this is going to be awesome.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've done:
-"Happy Meowers" at bars...basically, the guests pay a cover and get a drink slip and we get a generous cut of the profits for the night, plus we do raffles and things

-Silent Auctions...have people donate things (artwork, tickets, gift cards) and "auction" them off silently.

-Open Houses with food...have people donate money to light a candle, go to vet demos, etc.

-A 5K sponsored walk/run with a veggie BBQ to follow

-Several volunteers knit afghans and make cat toys to sell. Our Jr. volunteers make art projects like ornaments that we sell.

-We do "Foster Cats" in which people pay a certain % of the care for special needs cats, and the special needs cat writes them a letter a la Paws and Reflect and sends them a picture each quarter.

-We do "shop and share days"...basically stores like Jewel-Osco and Dominick's (big chain grocery stores) give us a % of customer's purchase if the customer presents a slip we give out, similarly, we use iGive.com and get a certain cut of the purchase when the buyer identifies us.

-We do tribute space in our Newsletter for a certain donation.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

-Several volunteers knit afghans and make cat toys to sell. Our Jr. volunteers make art projects like ornaments that we sell.

-We do "Foster Cats" in which people pay a certain % of the care for special needs cats, and the special needs cat writes them a letter a la Paws and Reflect and sends them a picture each quarter.

-We do "shop and share days"...basically stores like Jewel-Osco and Dominick's (big chain grocery stores) give us a % of customer's purchase if the customer presents a slip we give out, similarly, we use iGive.com and get a certain cut of the purchase when the buyer identifies us.
I'm one of the folks that make pet toys and beds and donate them to sell. I can tell you it doesn't bring in a lot, but for a while was probably paying their phone bill.

Our shelter does "Sponsor a Pet" program. Get local businesses to donate a certain amount each month (typically its about $25) and we post an advertisement for them at the shelter and in the newsletters.

Our local grocery chain has a charitable donations program, where everytime you use your grocery card (looks like a little credit card), 1% of the sales go to your charity of choice. They were bringing in about $500 per month on that program.

And please look into www.igive.com. You sign up your charity (must be non profit) and people log into igive to do online shopping. When individuals register, they select your charity from a list. A lot of online businesses subscribe to it and a percentage of each sale goes to your selected charity. The percentages range from 1% to as much as 20%+. I bought a couple printer cartridges online and racked up about $20 from just that purchase.

Cell phone / printer cartridge recycling programs: I don't know how to set this up, but there are a number of places that purchase used cell phones and printer cartridges for anywhere from a dollar to about $20.

And I nearly forgot one of the biggest annual events: Low cost vaccination clinics. Its best to do this annually at the same time each year to get people used to coming to you for their vaccinations. We purchase the vaccination supplies at cost and have a vet and her staff volunteer for about 4 hours to give them. You can charge less than what they would pay at their vets, so the clients are happy but you still bring in a lot of money. We added claw clipping for $5 one year and made a bundle on that one. Of course you need to find the friendly vet and vet techs that are willing to do that. In my area, a vet has to do the rabies vaccine so vet techs can't do it on their own (they are easier to find than vets).

We also looked at microchipping clinics similar to the vaccination clinics. After seeing the procedure, we were a bit squeamish about doing it ourselves (the needle is big). But if you have a good vet that volunteers a lot, might not be a bad idea.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of our biggest money makers is a car wash. We have it on a main road and our women dress in skimpy shorts and bikini tops and our guys in just shorts. Sorry but SEX does sell and we raised $3,000 in 1 day just washing cars at $15.00 each. (Tips were thrown in with the fundraising) We had a BIG crowd of volunteers working. We washed an average of 25 cars an hour.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Car wash is a definate thing for the summer months.

Well we had our meeting tonight, and weve decided on alot of things. Another meeting is on the 6th of March, when we'll update with how we are doing with things and such.

We are going to be having a bake sale that day. We have some volunteers on board already to run this.

I am going to be running the Dog fashion show along with the Count the Kibble Game, and i am working on other games.. they didn't really like the guess the weight one.

Face Painting is a definate thing as well.

they are going to save thins like the Charity poker/pool/golf games for another time, we are going to have too much to do already.

Pet valu is going to be donating some items as prizes.. and Winter Wheat is going to donate a large amount of things for prizes and raffles as well.

I'm dead tired right now.. ran around to all sorts of places today to get raffle items, water jugs (we use these as doantion jars), the raffle lisence. then the meeting.. I feel more tired than I usually do.

Anyway... I am really looking foward to raising a bunch of money for this.

ALSO, we are looking for catch phrases to put on the donation jugs. i'm not sure if we are looking for a theme... but we want to raise 75,000 toonies ($2) so yeah.. if anyone is brilliant and can come up with something better than my Cash for Kitties.. then that'd be helpful.

http://www.winter-wheat.com

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

they didn't really like the guess the weight one.
The only reason we chose to do the fat cat weight game was because there were 2 very large adult cats that had been in foster for over a year and they wanted to bring attention to these 2 babies. And they did get a lot of attention that day with one of the being adopted out to a return visitor.