Full-term C-section Kittens Didn't Survive

cne91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I'm new to this site and this is my first post, so I hope I'm doing this the right way. I guess I'll start off by saying that we moved to a new house not too long ago, and a stray cat showed up here. She was friendly and I'm a cat lover so I of course started feeding her and trying to care for her. A few weeks after this I noticed her belly was getting bigger so I knew that she was probably pregnant. I had planned on bringing her in to our no kill shelter but the wait for a spot is long and they don't take kittens under a certain age so I was going to keep her and the kittens until they were old enough to be brought in. I was keeping an eye on her so I could bring her inside when she got close to birth. (I have 2 cats who are inside and she didn't take to them well or else I would have just let her in, in the beginning.) Well I was out of town the last few days and when I got home I went out to check on her. As soon as I saw her I knew her tail was broken. It just didn't look right at all. So yesterday I took her to the vet. They did an x-ray and we could see the kittens in her belly. There were about 5 kittens, it was hard to tell exactly how many though. We could also see that her tail was in fact broken. We couldn't figure out how though because there wasn't enough damage to indicate that she was hit by a car, and there wasn't in external damage. Other than this she was fine. The vet said there was probably nerve damage so he suggested a c-section for her so that there was no complications while she was giving birth. He said she appeared to be full term, that she would have been going into labor any day now so he wanted to do it now. I told him okay, and we agreed that I wanted the kittens to be saved, that I did not want this to be an "abortion". He said he would do the c-section and then go ahead fix her afterwards. I knew of course that this would be a substantial amount of money but I wanted to do what was best for her and the kittens so I was just going to put it on my credit card. He took her back and said he would call me when when they were done so I could come and pick her up. This was around 8 or 9 in the morning, she went back around 12 or 1 for surgery. I got a call at about 4 or so that she was waking up. He then said that he wanted to keep her overnight just for observation, I told him that was okay. He then informed me that none of the kittens had made it, not one. He didn't elaborate on it, he just told me they weren't viable. It's the next morning now and I still haven't heard from them yet, so I'm waiting for their call. I know this is a long post, but I'm just devastated by this. It really seemed like at least some of the kittens would have lived since they were full term. I just wasn't expecting this at all. I understand that there is an overpopulation of strays, but I'm still just heartbroken that they didn't even get a chance. I thought that by doing this I was doing what was best for them, but now I feel terribly guilty, and maybe I should have just waited to see if she could have them on her own first. Ironically they didn't even fix her tail. They said they had to wait until she was done nursing her kittens. So I'm paying about $1000 for a c-section with no babies as an end result, and they didn't even fix what I originally brought her in for. It isn't about the money, but that really does make it a lot worse. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss. Kittens can't survive being even a little early. The vet may have misjudged how far along they were :(. It's not easy to tell.

I'd be mad about the whole situation, since you wouldn't have agreed to the c-section if they weren't going to fix her tail. Have a discussion with them about that, nicely, of course. Maybe they could give you a break on the price.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cne91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. It's just a really crappy situation. I'll definitely try to talk to them about it though. (I'll do it nicely.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cne91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for your loss. Kittens can't survive being even a little early. The vet may have misjudged how far along they were :(. It's not easy to tell.

I'd be mad about the whole situation, since you wouldn't have agreed to the c-section if they weren't going to fix her tail. Have a discussion with them about that, nicely, of course. Maybe they could give you a break on the price.
Thank you for your reply. It's just a really crappy situation. I'll definitely try to talk to them about it though. (I'll do it nicely.)

marah issa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss, the vet said to me yesterday I should wait her at least 20 hours to deliver them all naturally but her first two kittens got stuck in her birth canal more than half-hour and she lied down without any response to me so I knew she needs vet.

my cat did a c-section today and the rest were dead inside here.

She still there and sometimes I crying, it's hard for me to imagine the house without her.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss, the vet said to me yesterday I should wait her at least 20 hours to deliver them all naturally but her first two kittens got stuck in her birth canal more than half-hour and she lied down without any response to me so I knew she needs vet.

my cat did a c-section today and the rest were dead inside her
How is your cat now?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am very sorry for your loss. As was said, kittens cannot survive an early birth and there may have been other issues with them. Years ago I lost a feral mother ( I had even hired a professional trapper to try to get her so the vet could treat her) and all her kittens to a complicated birth. It is doubly sad because you really did try to be so proactive for this cat. And, yes, I would find out what is going on with the tail and why it was not fixed.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
C cne91 It's possible that whatever happened to break her tail also damaged the kittens and the vet couldn't tell that when he looked at the x-rays. The fact that she went back for the surgery at 1pm and the vet didn't call until 4 pm makes me think that they were fighting to save the kittens. Sometimes you just can't.

since they didn't want to fix her tail until she finished nursing her kittens, which is strange unless they didn't want to keep her under the anesthesia that long with the kittens to nurse. Would the anesthesia have a bad effect on the kittens if it were prolonged? It's also possible that she isn't strong enough to be under anesthesia that long right now.

Since she doesn't have kittens to nurse, you have a right to know if they plan to fix her tail tomorrow and if not, why not.

I'm sorry for your loss and for hers.

Sylviahana

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
C sections are hard for cats and there is a high mortality rate of kittens because when they put the mom under for surgery the kittens take in some of the anesthesia and so it can be difficult for them to start breathing when they are born and get the fluid out of their lungs. Not many kittens survive c section but you are lucky that at least your cat made it through. I don’t think it’s the vets fault but you maybe could have waiting for her to give birth naturally. Nothing you can do now tho but give your kitty some love <3 I’m sorry for your loss

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you for trying to save the babies, I don't want to speculate what happened but wanted to thank you for looking after the mom and trying to save her babies. You are a kind soul.