Full mouth extraction :(

Carpediem

Whatever Lola wants, Lola gets…
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. I just posted last week about my furbabe Lola. I had to take her to the vet on Friday due to discomfort on the right side of her mouth. She had a dental cleaning and 4 teeth extracted in the summer so I was concerned when this past week she was showing symptoms again. She stopped eating, still drinking water. But was complaining and pawing her mouth. Ofcourse I freaked out. Gum disease and gingivitis are serious.

The vet that saw her prescribed antibiotics and probiotics. Said to come back in 2 weeks. Also told me if this continues I may have to consider a full mouth extraction! No, no, no! She was freaking out during that last procedure (understandably so) and I don’t want to put her through that again. I am seeking a second opinion. She’s 8 years old now and I never got pet insurance. I think it’s way too late now considering she had gingivitis and is still having issues with her mouth.

Has anyone gone through a similar situation with their kitty? I’m scared to death that this may get worse and can possibly take away from the years I have with her :( maybe I’m overreacting. But she is all I have. My family isn’t present in my life and she is my family.

Anyone have any suggestions/advice/experiences they would like to share? I am aware of the rules so I will say I’m not asking for any remedies or anything like that. All of the support and encouragement I can get is very much welcomed. And I hope this finds all of you well. Love and light 🙏🏽💜🤓🥰

I forgot to mention vet said it’s gum disease but I don’t understand why this is still happening even after she had a dental cleaning and teeth extraction. Weren’t they supposed to see this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Carpediem Carpediem

Dental disease can be complex because of stomachitis, which has no known cause as of yet, but it thought it could be genetic. Cats with stomachitis (weird name for tooth issues I know!) have dental issues which advance quickly.

That's likely why they couldn't 'catch' it. It wasn't there at the time!

Dental Disease in Cats

Some studies have shown that providing Omega oils can reduce flare ups of stomachitis and need for tooth removal.
Pg3. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ChAWegQIDBAB&usg=AOvVaw26YEgK3JO2jNiTExupxauZ

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carpediem

Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! That gives me something to start with. She’s never had issues with her tummy though have to look up that weird name 😂love and light 🙏🏽💜🤓

Carpediem

Kitten
Purraise
Yes! Thank you. I have found a few articles on here which are helpful. I’m also looking for low cost clinics and/or help with her vet costs. I am currently not working and had to apply for carecredit with a joint applicant, paid cash for some of her bills and also had a friend help me out. I’m on debt now and although I’d do it all over again, it’s scary to think how much more this is going to cost me to get her the right and continuing treatment. I want to see Lola happy and healthy. I’ve been lucky to find more resources but some are having issues helping as many people as they can, due to Covid-19 and funding. Thank you so much! Love and light 🙏🏽💜🤓🐱

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have experience with this in cats, but two small breed dogs I knew had full mouth extractions. The vets that worked on them said the gum disease was bad enough, simply trying to scrape the tartar off caused the teeth to fall out. But both came through the surgery and they both felt so much better. One dog is still with us (the other passed away from cancer), and is old and energetic and happy.
I had one who could have used a dental. But by the time I gave them the go ahead, it was discovered he had a bad heart. IDK if having bad teeth contributed to his heart disease or not, and I wish I would have done it before he got to the point he was considered high risk on the surgery table.

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat kept having teeth and gum issues every few months. She would eat less and then start running away from her food after only a few mouthfuls. She was a lot less active, preferring to hide away all day. When she did hang out, her eyes were constantly squinted, jaws clenched tightly.. all signs of pain.

Every time I took her to the vet, the diagnosis was the same - inflamed reddened gums. A shot would be given which lasted 24 hours. This helped with the pain and would get her eating normally but after that she needed daily meds for at least a week. Getting these meds in her was a huge struggle. Every time the vet told me she needed extractions or else the problem will reappear.

I kept hoping the vet was wrong but finally gave in when it happened again. Turns out she needed 14 teeth pulled, basically all her side and back teeth, leaving her with just a few front teeth and her fangs. I was worried as hell the nights before the surgery, during the surgery and after the surgery. But a couple of days afterwards, she started eating normal again. Kept her on strictly soft wet foods for a week. She finished all I gave without running from it and even meowed for more multiple times a day.

I cant tell u how happy I felt seeing her able and willing to eat once again. She is back on a normal diet of both dry and wet food now and seems to have no problem even with so many teeth gone. I hope your kitty can also have such positive results after treatment, in fact I have read that this kinda thing is not uncommon and most cats benefit greatly from it. Anyway its up to you and your vet to decide, but just wanted to tell u my experience

Carpediem

Kitten
Purraise
My cat kept having teeth and gum issues every few months. She would eat less and then start running away from her food after only a few mouthfuls. She was a lot less active, preferring to hide away all day. When she did hang out, her eyes were constantly squinted, jaws clenched tightly.. all signs of pain.

Every time I took her to the vet, the diagnosis was the same - inflamed reddened gums. A shot would be given which lasted 24 hours. This helped with the pain and would get her eating normally but after that she needed daily meds for at least a week. Getting these meds in her was a huge struggle. Every time the vet told me she needed extractions or else the problem will reappear.

I kept hoping the vet was wrong but finally gave in when it happened again. Turns out she needed 14 teeth pulled, basically all her side and back teeth, leaving her with just a few front teeth and her fangs. I was worried as hell the nights before the surgery, during the surgery and after the surgery. But a couple of days afterwards, she started eating normal again. Kept her on strictly soft wet foods for a week. She finished all I gave without running from it and even meowed for more multiple times a day.

I cant tell u how happy I felt seeing her able and willing to eat once again. She is back on a normal diet of both dry and wet food now and seems to have no problem even with so many teeth gone. I hope your kitty can also have such positive results after treatment, in fact I have read that this kinda thing is not uncommon and most cats benefit greatly from it. Anyway its up to you and your vet to decide, but just wanted to tell u my experience
Hi! How are you? Thank you so much for sharing your experience and giving me some sound advice. Lola has been doing the same. In the summer before the dental cleaning and teeth extraction those were her exact same symptoms. She stopped eating. Would look at the food, smell and back away. She was evidently hungry but the moment she started eating she would start yelping, growling, and would run underneath my bookshelf and hide. In spite of this she would come back to the bowl throughout the day, struggling to eat, taking breaks. Most of the food was gone. I’ve been heating up her wet food for the smell to entice her and hand feeding her. She’s usually a vet chirpy, chatty, active, energetic cat. She’s very loving and affectionate. Still is but she gets agitated when she tries to eat and starts pawing at her mouth.

I am taking Lola to another vet, this place where I was taking her cares more about the money than they do their clients and pets. Which has been really stressful to say the least. Not putting her care back in their incompetent hands. The new vet sees her the 21st but I am calling tomorrow and requesting an appt for this week. Hope you and your kitty are doing fine. Love and light 🙏🏽💜🤓

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the meantime, maybe you can see if the pet shops have any kinds of liquid food. Here in Taiwan I have found these pouches of "complete foods" meant for cats with kidney problems or something. Apparently it contains all the nutrients but its totally liquid/gravy texture.

Aixia Jinkatsu Kidney Care Adult Kenko Pouch - Tuna Paste (40g x 24)

I started giving her this when she had teeth problems and she seemed to be able to consume it easier. Tehy have both chicken and tuna flavors, also ones that contain bits of meat or totally gravy style.

Carpediem

Kitten
Purraise
I don't have experience with this in cats, but two small breed dogs I knew had full mouth extractions. The vets that worked on them said the gum disease was bad enough, simply trying to scrape the tartar off caused the teeth to fall out. But both came through the surgery and they both felt so much better. One dog is still with us (the other passed away from cancer), and is old and energetic and happy.
I had one who could have used a dental. But by the time I gave them the go ahead, it was discovered he had a bad heart. IDK if having bad teeth contributed to his heart disease or not, and I wish I would have done it before he got to the point he was considered high risk on the surgery table.
I’m so sorry for your loss. Pets are such beautiful sentient beings who have no hidden agenda, ulterior motives, and love us unconditionally. If I had to choose I’d be around animals all day :p I am not taking her back to this vet. They care more about money than the care and health of your pet. I have had several issues with them but never felt like I had to worry about Lola while in their care. Last week was the last straw. Instead of giving me the 2 weeks of antibiotics I paid for, they gave me a 1 week supply. I called and let them know and they were more hung up on the fact that I needed to pay the $26 for another week of medication than how my cat is doing.The clinic is like a revolving door. I have only been taking her there for a year and lately they’ve become a thorn in my side.

This forum has given me such peace of mind. You are all such wonderful people! Thanks to each and every one of you for posting on the thread. For being so kind and giving me advice. If I wouldn’t have come on here I’d be worse than I am now. I thought that a full mouth extraction is really invasive and it scares the bejesus out of me! If this clinic and the vets weren’t so incompetent, I would’ve walked out of there knowing the risks, prognosis and what to look out for. I can’t believe how stupid I was. Thank you for sharing your experience with me. Love and light 🙏🏽💜🤓

Carpediem

Kitten
Purraise
In the meantime, maybe you can see if the pet shops have any kinds of liquid food. Here in Taiwan I have found these pouches of "complete foods" meant for cats with kidney problems or something. Apparently it contains all the nutrients but its totally liquid/gravy texture.

I started giving her this when she had teeth problems and she seemed to be able to consume it easier. Tehy have both chicken and tuna flavors, also ones that contain bits of meat or totally gravy style.

Hi! Yes I have actually started to put her wet food into a food processor or mashing it with a fork. I’m hand feeding her shes eating more this way vs. her eating out of the bowl. I had scheduled an appt for this Friday but I am calling the vet tomorrow to bring her in as an emergency walk in. I’m not going to let her suffer. I’ll look into this! Thank you for sharing. Love and light 🙏🏽💜🤓