fs;jsgljis Scared about leaving in January!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nightsowindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ooookay, Blue - it's actually much more than that, but that's it in a nutshell. You obviously don't know much about the military. anyway, thanks for the support everyone!
I will look for your son while I am there, Ken
At least maybe I have one future friend
Yesterday I was talking to two people before my film history class and we were all talking about what we might take next semester, and then I told them I was going to leave for the army in January and what I was going to be doing . . . it's not like I was bragging or anything, but I felt proud
I just had to say that - :tounge2: Anne, that's really cool that you signed up for more years and became an officer. I hope that one day down the line I will be an officer. But that's still something I'm thinking about . . . well, gotta run . . . my new kitten is calling for me! yay!

kittyfoot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
May I begin by saying that I admire your spirit and sense of duty. I think with your awareness you will do well. I have known quite a few service people who have served in places like Bosnia. Peacekeepers,they call our Canadian military..and some look down their noses at them and call them "pretend soldiers". These people have the job of standing between peoples who are willing to kill anyone who gets in their way. They do this with empty hands;they aren't allowed to carry loaded weapons. Yet they go. They and their brothers in the USA and elsewhere HATE war. They see the results close up. They stand in front when the bullets fly. They know the folly of hate. They KNOW there's no glory from a bullet in the belly.

BUT they also know that there are people in the world who just don't care about peace. People who are so twisted for whatever reason that they have no love left in their soul. Hate has become their credo...death and misery their joy. The "hated military" are the only way to stop them.

These people deserve our utmost respect...not sneers,not disdain.To all of them I say THANK YOU!!!

If I may draw a little parallel...just today I listened to a "panel" on CBC radio talking about bullying in the schools and all the highly moral soloutions that are being tried by these very smart people. Well and good...I hope they have success. When I was young I was the skinny kid in school who was the target of the big and strong. One kid in particular had great fun beating me to a pulp. Several times a year I went home covered in bruises,barely able to walk. I tried all the "new soloutions"...I even hid from this kid,but he or his friends always found me. Finally one day,in sheer desperation I picked up a stick and knocked him flat..then charged his "gang" and wailed on a couple of them. The beatings STOPPED COLD.From then on I hide from nobody. I will be a friend with anyone who treats me and mine with respect..but hurt one of us and you pay the price. I have far more friends than enemies... and I don't slink home.

sunlion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a pacifist in many ways, but I think it is a luxury. The only reason I can say "I'm against guns and violence" is because somebody else is willing to pick up a gun and defend my right to feel that way. There are still a few places where choosing not to fight isn't an option.

Plus, I have worked pretty hard to get over feeling like I somehow deserve bad things to happen in my life, and part of that is that I am not willing to be a victim. I know that sometimes I am a victim - we recently had a car phone stolen, for example - but I do not need to accept it as inevitable. I have no problem extending that to my country. "Your right to swing your fist ends at the tip of my nose" and it's not the fault of my nose if you strike me, either. Defending yourself, even fighting back in self defense, is still different from picking a fight.

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do research on bullying in schools. What we consistently find is the the kids who won't stand up for themselves are the repeat targets of bullies. Those who don't cry and don't take it laying down don't get picked on. Your experience is the best example of that. Turning the other cheek doesn't work with bullies! (of course I would prefer to say that having a rational discussion with the bully about his/her inappropriate behavior would be the better thing to do, but its hard to have such a conversation when there is a fist in your mouth!)

NighSo Windy....bravo to you for doing your part. I have great respect for you for taking this chance!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up about 60 miles from Ft. Jackson and my brother had basic training there. If you have never been to the area, don't worry, it is nice. The weather is mild even in winter. Columbia, SC is right there by the fort and it is a really nice city. It is the state capitol and also a college town. If you are planning to live off base after basic, there is usually plenty of affordable housing. My brother lived there for many years and he loved it. There are lots of concerts and things to do. Good Luck in your training and bless you for serving our country!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nightsowindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that's cool. I will have to explore (as much as they will let me) when I am "behaving" myself and can actually leave the base. After Ft. Jackson I am going to Ft. Huachuca in AZ. I have heard there is nothing to do there, but that's okay. I don't do much here anyway :LOL: I usually spend my time on the computer or just being in the house (and if you're wondering . . . no, I don't have a life: school and work is pretty much it besides this - heh heh
)

jin & spawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the best way to sum up exactly how I feel is simply just to say:

Thank you!!!!

Good luck to you!