Frustrated with my half-feral cat...

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats actually love seeing other cats through the window! It's like they are trying to make friends.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chint

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats actually love seeing other cats through the window! It's like they are trying to make friends.
Sure you're not just anthropomorphising now? :p Cats are usually enemies at first, until they establish territory and their place amongst each other. Linus just looks for now, I don't think the other cats have spotted him, but i seriously doubt that the first notion when he is let out is that they're going to be friends and cuddle :p

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know, they run to the window when they see the neighbors' cats and act all excited. They don't hiss or growl. They seem happy to see them.

chint

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Redirected Aggression: A Case Study | Little Big Cat

Probably because they are at a distance and have a window between them. I'm not saying that every scenario equals something of this magnitude, but cats are usually fierce and hostile at first introductions. Anyway, I'm learning that cats are a lot more predatory and cautious than I thought them to be.

chint

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The feliway spray I'm using expired in january... is it much weaker? Do I need to get a new one? They are kind of expensive...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Those expiration dates are kinda arbitrary. If it still seems effective, then you're ok. I know they are pricey!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you wanted an easier to mold snuggle buddy (nothing wrong with that), did you consider kittens? I adopted my kitten when he was 6 months and he was super cuddly and now at 2 years old he still is. Sure he has his dislikes but since i had him since he was a kitten i know all his habits and am not afraid of him. It just sounds like you've been taking in adults and thats a little harder if you have certain expectations.

Last edited:

chint

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Linus is doing much better :) He's almost not clawing at all, seems much calmer and more at ease/at home. He still has some way to go, but he's getting better :) But he has been licking his behind a lot these past few days, well, just yesterday and today that I've noticed. He's been licking off his skin right next to his bum, and the side/ a small part of his bum is a little red and maybe a little swollen. What is this? Should I call an appointment at a vet, or just see if it calms down after a few days?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that you still have Linus and that he's much more friendly. Yes, I would have the vet look at it, because it could be anything.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guessing worms, constipation or impacted anal glands. Vet check in order. :wink:

Glad to hear that he is settling in well. :thumbsup: