Frustrated with boyfriends family (and how they treat their cats)

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Super long rant...

So my boyfriends family had two cats. The first one was really skinny for the longest time (no one 'realized' it because she was longhair) and nobody took her to the vet until she started throwing up blood (and even then there was no hurry..) where she was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I don't know whether the vet said she was treatable with meds or not but they were just going to let her hang around the house until she passed away which I told my boyfriend was cruel (he was defensive about this, but later told his parents that they had favored their other cat over this one and seemed distressed about the whole situation). After what seemed like forever, they starting giving her whatever she wanting to eat because she was rapidly declining. I guess she eventually died of kidney failure.
Second cat is 18 years old and skin and bones. She used to be on dry until she started throwing that up and they went to wet only. I know whatever she is on is poor quality because they aren't the type of people that would put money into a better food. They say they are on the current food because its the only one they found that agrees with her, and I say that's fine except now it is obviously not working. Last week when I saw her, she felt so poor her ears were drooping down. Trying to be kind I suggested that maybe she needs to have her teeth looked at and his mother shrugged it off like 'She just has bad teeth, she broke her two canines some time ago...' I said I would bring her some of my extra food that my cat can't eat and when I brought it this week she seemed surprised. I tried to feed her some the first night and she said 'oh, she's already eaten' like the cat shouldn't eat any more, which is extremely frustrating because the cat is so skinny she should be able to eat as much as she wants..
So when they weren't looking, this morning I fed her some of the food, which she eagerly scarfed up (im sure it was much more appetizing than the food on the table which had dried out a bit and smelled like nothing..) and I told her mother who said 'Dont tell chris (boyfriends father). I'll feed her this in secret' because he apparently doesn't like change and doesn't want to upset her stomach or make things worse (but really, they can't be much worse...)
So I asked my boyfriend if he would do me a favor and feed the cat extra, to which he said no, I asked if he would feed the new food, to which he said yes, and when I said the food needed to be refrigerated, to which he said 'then you might as well take it home, because that ain't going to happen.'...
I said that was unfair to the cat, that she needs to be fed as much as she will eat or else she will continue to decline. He decided to tell his mother that I said 'You are starving your cat' which I never said to ANYONE, I tried to be as polite about everything as I could.

I'm so frustrated that they won't take her to the vet for a dental cleaning, a general check-up (I have no idea when her last one was), and feed her the better food. I did everything for them, I gave them free food (Blue Buffalo btw), free freeze dried treats to entice her, all they had to do was feed it. Put it in the fridge, don't leave it sitting out all day long, add hot water to it... I asked nothing hard of them...

Also, way later on my boyfriend says 'btw, senior cats can't have high protein' to which I responded 'actually, yes they can, i can show you articles' to which he yelled back that her vet said she has liver problems as well and plus he's a vet, not some random blogger, but honestly I'm not sure if it was the truth or whether he was just making something up to prove how he and his family are right and how awful I was trying to be helpful...

There is no advice anyone can give, as apparently the cat threw up (honestly I think she probably just ate too much as she was quite eager with the new food), and when his dad went out the door for a while, the whole case of food had disappeared, and since I don't know where it is, my boyfriend doesn't know where it is, and his mother doesn't know where it is, that leaves only one person left... Even with that logic my boyfriend was like 'no... we'll find it' (because it got up and walked away itself..
)

If the cat is still living next time I go visit, I'll post a pic so at least I can make her a proper Over The Rainbow page when the time comes. *sigh*

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can certainly sympathize with your plight.
My in-laws are just as bad, and I'm stuck living with them.
In my case at least, my DH is on my side in regards to their pet care (or rather lack of).

I'm not sure what to say about your boyfriend, as aside from what you've posted here, I have no clue what kind of relationship you have with him.

Me, I'd think long and hard about having someone like that in my life, or around my pets.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor kitties. It IS hard for non-cat people to take good care of an elderly cat; it requires some investment of time and energy and money, and they often don't (won't) do it. We see those cats all the time at the shelter. Most get put to sleep after a few days, when their problems become clear.

I think I would encourage you to re-think any long-time commitment to this guy, because what you are seeing is how he and his family would treat you or your children.

I heard one wise person say that if a girl wanted to know how a guy would treat her, she should carefully examine how he treats his mother. I say how he treats the innocent animals depending on him is a better clue to his real character.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I say how he treats the innocent animals depending on him is a better clue to his real character.
Definitely!

Poor cat.... what you could do is try to educate.... find articles that explain the care of the cat and let your boyfriend and his Mom read them. Hopefully, with education they would care for the kitty appropriately.

melorix

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ugh, that sounds so frustrating! I think you've been doing a marvelous job so far. I would have to agree with previous posters. Your boyfriend and his family seem to be very close-minded people, at least when it comes to animal care. It makes me wonder how often your boyfriend listens to you on other topics.

I'm definitely not rooting for a breakup because this is just one small facet you have shown us. But based on the information, I would definitely reflect on a possible future with this man and his family.
Hoping this situation turns out well for all involved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your comments.

I understand the concern about him and pets, but he doesn't block me from doing what I want with my pets, he just wants me to stay out of their business.

His family is actually functional and loving, unlike mine, so I'm not worried about how they treat other family members and children, because they don't treat them one in the same. (Which is unfortunate for this cat
)

Also, everything done for this cat is by his mom and dad, so it's not him letting it slowly starve, it's his parents unwillingness to change. If it were his cat, I think he would have had it PTS (which at this point, if she does have incurable liver issues would be kinder than letting her suffer more). (Sidenote: That's part of what caused the arguing here, is that I believe she could get better with better food, while everyone in the family thinks that she is just 'old' and that there is nothing they can do to make her better. But then my thought is 'why be selfish and let her starve?' [which is Another point in that it's really hard for some people to let go, which is apparently normal but I will NEVER understand it...])

Good news though.. Apparently the food was NOT thrown/given away when I left. I asked my boyfriend if he would hold it for me to pick up next week (he lives in another city), and he said 'idk' and something about figuring stuff out. I was confused as yesterday he said that I should take back the food because she threw up, but now he's saying he's not sure if she did or not. This may not sound like good news, but the translation of boyfriend speak is "I may have just thought that she threw up, but now I know she didn't, and now my parents are possibly considering feeding her the food, but I'm going to leave everything as vague as possible because I feel bad about yesterday."
Further translation: I think I got through to them!!

evakatharina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If they're keeping the food, maybe it's sinking in! It can be hard for people to change, so I would take it as a very good sign. For the kitty!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guess what everyone? I just received this text message from my boyfriend's mom

Tigger loves the chicken treats and they do not upset her stomach. Thank you! We will work up to trying the canned food soon too. :)
I'm so happy!! :D

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In case anyone wanted to know, Tigger died in late November/early December. They did not put her down, she passed away at home. :(

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Tigger.  I hope she at least passed peacefully.  You did what you could for the little girl; bless you for that.