Frustrated! Peeing Cat!! In Desperate need of Help!

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't use the bath tub. The litter will clog the drain. Even flushable litter is not meant for bath tub or sink drains.

I realize the deep litter might work for others, but I have found my cats prefer less litter. I keep mine no deeper than 2 inches. It does require more frequent box washes but one of my cats hates deep litter and will pee against the box or on the floor rather than step in the deep litter.

I also find that using a clumping litter with frequent scooping (twice a day, once a day at least) means I need not wash the boxes that frequently. Honestly, it's probably once a quarter, though at different times because I only ever do one at a time.

If you lack a hose, you can use a bucket!
Who mentioned using the bathtub?

I'm guessing you're referring to the way I used to clean my litter boxes. I don't recall anyone else here mentioning a bathtub so...

First off, I would empty the boxes totally into the trash receptacle and scrape an remnants out as well. Then clean then in the tub with hot water and dish soap. It's a spare bathroom that no one uses, but that's beside the point. It was always thoroughly cleaned afterwards.

Regardless I don't employ that method anymore. I explained what my process is many posts ago.

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My apologies. I was referring to BonitaBaby's post, saying that a hose might be difficult to find and that the bathtub might be used instead. I have worked with some plumbing issues from tenants who cleaned litter pans (cat, bird, rabbit, and rat) in sinks and toilets. Unfortunately, it can travel quite a distance and might not cause trouble for some time. I'm sure it depends on your plumbing, method, and litter. I just don't recommend it.

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks to both of you! Good ideas and I didn't think about litter clogging the drain. It's a spare bathroom. I'm glad I saw your post as I filled the bottom tray with about 3 inches of the cheap, odorless clumping litter I've been buying, but didn't put the top cover on yet. I need to check to see how dusty it is compared to other brands, but that's for another day. So far, success! My kitty already peed in it!! Probably to mark it as hers. :D I'll have to see what she prefers after I clean the 2 litter trays: deep litter or less litter, but I'm going to put the lid cover on tomorrow and see if my kitty will still use the new one. *crossing fingers* If she doesn't like the cover, I'll remove it and then have 3 litter trays... :/

@Karissima, sorry I was unclear. I hid the new, covered litter box until this evening when I bought litter to fill it. This morning I caught her going in between the two dirty litter trays about to do her business. She saw me and ran out of the room.

Last edited:

karissima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad she is back to using the boxes! Hooray for happy house mates!! Best luck in all of your endeavors

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to both of you! Good ideas and I didn't think about litter clogging the drain. It's a spare bathroom. I'm glad I saw your post as I filled the bottom tray with about 3 inches of the cheap, odorless clumping litter I've been buying, but didn't put the top cover on yet. I need to check to see how dusty it is compared to other brands, but that's for another day. So far, success! My kitty already peed in it!! Probably to mark it as hers. :D I'll have to see what she prefers after I clean the 2 litter trays: deep litter or less litter, but I'm going to put the lid cover on tomorrow and see if my kitty will still use the new one. *crossing fingers* If she doesn't like the cover, I'll remove it and then have 3 litter trays... :/

@Karissima, sorry I was unclear. I hid the new, covered litter box until this evening when I bought litter to fill it. This morning I caught her going in between the two dirty litter trays about to do her business. She saw me and ran out of the room.
I would certainly get right on cleaning those other 2 if you can. You don't want to give her any kind of excuse for improper elimination elsewhere. Things seem to be going well, keep it up.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My apologies. I was referring to BonitaBaby's post, saying that a hose might be difficult to find and that the bathtub might be used instead. I have worked with some plumbing issues from tenants who cleaned litter pans (cat, bird, rabbit, and rat) in sinks and toilets. Unfortunately, it can travel quite a distance and might not cause trouble for some time. I'm sure it depends on your plumbing, method, and litter. I just don't recommend it.
No need to apologize. I just didn't remember her stating that.

Regardless, of all that I don't think anyone is talking about flushing litter down the tub drain. I don't think the miniscule amount of left over dust would make any difference at all.

Yes, if you can wash it outside, it's ideal. But in a pinch the tub should be fine as long as the box is completely empty.

stazie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please stop changing the brand or type of litter in Jasmine's box. You said she used the upstairs box but then you changed the litter b/c you didn't like the way it smelled. The point is to find one that Jasmine likes the smell of and uses, not you.

Keep scooping twice, or even three times a day.I understand that you have a hectic schedule but you wouldn't let a baby sit in a wet or dirty diaper all day.

A lot of cats need to be able see the area around the litter box and to be able to escape so try putting the downstairs box, with the same litter as upstairs, under a shelf or cabinet where the big dogs can't get to it.

And try vinegar with water on the soiled area in the basement.

I found out the hard way that stress can cause a FLUTD. Have Jas tested again, just one more time. 

stazie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bonitababy, put a liner in the box, even a garbage bag, so you quit buying boxes. That's wasteful. Scoop the box 2 or 3 times a day. In a month, pull out the liner and put it in your trash, not recycle, bin. Then wash the box, (we use Dawn, no bleach)  wherever you want since the litter in the liner has been properly disposed of, put a liner in the box, and start again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maes20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I have some discouraging news.. We caught my baby peeing at the door the other day. And we have figured out the it is a behavioral thing..

Lindsey (my roommate) let all of the dogs out the other morning and because she was carrying a puppy she got distracted and didnt let the cat out with them and didnt call her upstairs with her when she went back upstairs. When Lindsey came back downstairs, not even 3 minutes later with the bowls with the dogs food Jasmine was peeing by the door on the cement and howled at Lindsey before lindsey could yell at her. Needless to say, my baby had a time out.. and I cleaned the spot and all around it like a fend! We aren't totally discouraged, because its the first time she has done it in a while now. And I guess its a reminder to us to let her out with her Aussies or leave her upstairs.

Only reason I say that it is totally behavioral is that my roommates little sister was over and accidentally locked the cat downstairs with the aussies all in kennels and we came home to find her downstairs after a full day with no messes. and she used her litter box, the covered litter box.  

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise

Bonitababy, put a liner in the box, even a garbage bag, so you quit buying boxes. That's wasteful. Scoop the box 2 or 3 times a day. In a month, pull out the liner and put it in your trash, not recycle, bin. Then wash the box, (we use Dawn, no bleach)  wherever you want since the litter in the liner has been properly disposed of, put a liner in the box, and start again.
I had read some cats do not like liners in litter boxes? I think mine would be one of these, or worse, would chew the plastic liner after she discovered it at the bottom of the litter box if she could move the litter to make an open spot. Actually, I've realized two litter boxes is a good number to have per cat. I only bought a third because I wanted to offer the option of a nice, covered litter box for my "shy" girl in case she prefers to potty in a covered box, so there's been no waste so far.

I actually do need all three if I'm ever gone on a weekend trip. She's used to a clean box, so I don't want to know what would happen if I ever leave her alone for four days with one or two litter boxes. 

@maes20, I'm glad you're figuring out what the issue is although it could be a combination. Maybe the poor kitty feels ignored sometimes.

Last edited:

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a liner in my kitty's box for all of 5 seconds before she tore that thing up. Liners don't work for everyone.

As for your pee struggles, @maes20  , I'm so sorry to hear you had a little setback. I just dealt with a couple months of pee hell this summer. It is NOT fun.

Since it's behavioral, do you think perhaps it's territorial?

I feel like Feliway should pay me for the advertising I do, lol. I use a diffuser and sometimes the spray. That cleared Bellatrix's problems right up. :)

(Feliway is a product that mimics the facial pheromones in a cat. If it's sprayed somewhere, the cat will be all like "Oh, this is already my territory. No need to pee here." and instead rub their face on the area or whatever....it's a beautiful thing!)

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have some discouraging news.. We caught my baby peeing at the door the other day. And we have figured out the it is a behavioral thing..

Lindsey (my roommate) let all of the dogs out the other morning and because she was carrying a puppy she got distracted and didnt let the cat out with them and didnt call her upstairs with her when she went back upstairs. When Lindsey came back downstairs, not even 3 minutes later with the bowls with the dogs food Jasmine was peeing by the door on the cement and howled at Lindsey before lindsey could yell at her. Needless to say, my baby had a time out.. and I cleaned the spot and all around it like a fend! We aren't totally discouraged, because its the first time she has done it in a while now. And I guess its a reminder to us to let her out with her Aussies or leave her upstairs.

Only reason I say that it is totally behavioral is that my roommates little sister was over and accidentally locked the cat downstairs with the aussies all in kennels and we came home to find her downstairs after a full day with no messes. and she used her litter box, the covered litter box.  
Does she normally go out with the dogs every day? If so it's possible she's trading scents with an aggressive outside cat. When she can't go out to "re-stake her claim", she does the next best thing and pees as close as she can get to it.

Even if you haven't seen an outside cat, there still could be one.

It's possible too that she was just feeling resentful. A lot of people say cats don't feel emotions like this, but I disagree. Anyone who's seen a naughty kitten break the rules, (when they do know them) would agree.

thesighrye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Definitely, there could absolutely be outside kitties that are creeping in on the outskirts of (or in) the territory. We've been living where we are for a couple years and only just discovered a previously unseen outdoor kitty a couple months ago! They make my cat go nuts...she's an indoor cat and sits in the window very often. Imagine what it does to one that actually goes outside and encounters it! Piss match.

stazie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Jasmine spayed? If she isn't, do it. And have the dogs fixed too. Unless you are a licensed breeder your pets should be spayed or neutered. If you still have problems after you've done that, and you might since you've allowed all of them to "mark" their spaces, try all of the suggestions you've already gotten again.

Good luck.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Is Jasmine spayed? If she isn't, do it. And have the dogs fixed too. Unless you are a licensed breeder your pets should be spayed or neutered. If you still have problems after you've done that, and you might since you've allowed all of them to "mark" their spaces, try all of the suggestions you've already gotten again.

Good luck.
@stazie maes20 answered a whole lot of questions earlier on in the thread and Jasmine has been spayed.

maes20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input guys.

stazie stazie She is spayed. My roommate works at a dog daycare/rescue and they take in cats often so she gave me the advice to spay her the minute she was old enough to be done to help avoid any issues like this. As for the Aussies, we have 3 females and 1 male. The male is neutered, the older females are not spayed because my roommates are registered breeders and the 3rd female is just a pup (who they play on breeding when she is of age.)

thesighrye thesighrye bigperm20 bigperm20 She doesn't go out with them everyday, but she enjoys spending as much time out with them as possible. We have a fully fenced in back yard, as we live in a development of townhouses. our back yards are attached to the backyards of the neighbours behind us. There may be a cat in the area that we have no seen, but the only animal so far that has been brave enough to venture over the fence into the yard has been a skunk. And boy was I glad she was not out that night!

BonitaBaby BonitaBaby If she feels ignored then oh boy my kitty is crazy. The dogs all play with her like she is a dog and I am constantly trying to play with her or cuddle. she is not a fan of the cuddling though haha, unless the dogs are not home.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Bonitababy If she feels ignored then oh boy my kitty is crazy. The dogs all play with her like she is a dog and I am constantly trying to play with her or cuddle. she is not a fan of the cuddling though haha, unless the dogs are not home.
That's awesome to hear. I just meant ignored when something like what you described happens, like she is forgotten when the dogs are being let outside. I completely agree with @bigperm20 about cats feeling emotions. I've seen it in cats. I think they're like little furry toddlers who communicate to us but can't speak and understand most English words, except we can be really bad at reading their emotions and behaviors.

maes20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh I believe that they have emotions! thats for sure. If the dogs play together too much without her she jumps into the middle of it all to break them up.. 
I apologize for the misunderstanding. I have a bad habit of doing that.. 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I believe that they have emotions! thats for sure. If the dogs play together too much without her she jumps into the middle of it all to break them up.. 
It really couldn't hurt to let her out every morning with the dogs. Who knows? Maybe it will help.

BonitaBaby

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Np. Happens to everyone online and I wasn't clear while trying to keep my post short. Thanks! :)

Last edited: