frontline plus for dogs

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Can i use the frontline plus for dogs on cats? is it the same? I have a 3 pack for dogs 23-44 lbs.. how do i determine how much per cat? I notice the little green container vial is the same size as a cat one but contains twice the amount of liquid..

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
NO!!!

Please do not give any medication labeled for a dog to a cat.

MANY cats have died this way.

Google it if you don't believe me.

aeevr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is assuming the dose for a cat and dog of equal sizes is the same. Not a safe assumption.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The dosing for cat and dog frontline/advantage/etc differs between the species it's meant for. I know this because my vet told me. Sadie (dog) had picked up fleas somewhere and I only had cat frontline at home, I called the vet and asked, she said I could apply it but it wouldn't last nearly as long because of the way the pesticide absorbs in cats is different than in dogs. You will have to speak to a vet about it, I don't know if the rescue can give you advice because of the legal liability. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, I came up with frontline for dogs 23-44lbs has 1.34ml vs 0.5ml for all cats 8 weeks and older on pet meds....Does anyone have a frontline for cats on hand to verify that dosage? I usually buy that kind at the vet and it cost me $70.00 for 6 but I have 16 cats
I have used one container of the cat frontline  on 3 kittens before because i didnt want to poison them.... can someone help me with the math? if all cats get 0.5ml? how many cats per 1.34ml can i do?

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should really contact your vet to check the proper dosage before you try to administer the meds yourself. You have nothing to lose, a call to the vet is free.

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Frontline is the only one you can do this with. But I do it all the time. Its the dosage you have to get advise on. I use a suringe to messure is out.

Last edited:

rsmith271

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do animal rescue and have researched this thoroughly. The ingredients of Frontline Plus are EXACTLY the same for dogs and cats. The dosage is .05 ml per lb. So, a 10-lb cat would get .5 ml. I purchase the Extra-Large dog size, which is 4.0 ml per tube. So, for 10-lb cats, that's 8 doses per tube! I empty a 4.0 ml tube into a small glass vial and measure out each dose using a 1-ml syringe (without the needle, of course). Then I use the syringe to apply each dose to the back of the cat's neck, just as you would with a tube. The cost difference is amazing, because the price for each tube is basically the same, whether 4.0 ml for an extra-large dog or .05 ml for a 9-lb cat! So, for example, if the cost for one .5 ml tube (a cat-size dose) is $10, the cost for one 4.0 ml tube (extra-large dog-size dose) is also $10. THEREFORE, instead of paying $10 per cat-size dose, I pay only $1.25 per dose. Other animal rescuers and I have been doing this for years, so SPREAD THE WORD! (Caveat: You can do the same thing with some generic brands of Frontline Plus, but not all! Just be sure you check the ingredients of the generic brand to make sure they are exactly the same as Frontline Plus, which is fipronil and S-methoprene. Some of the generic brands replace the S-methoprene with different ingredients for cats and dogs. For those brands, you CANNOT use the extra-large dog formula on cats!)

kimilou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i looked on line and found that the chemicals in the dog and cat frontline are the same except that the cat stuff has 35% more of the stuff that prevents the flea larvae from hatching. i am wrestling with the same question. it only goes to figure that the same amount would be sufficient. HOWEVER, i am going to put a smaller dose on my babies, better safe than sorry; and apply accordingly. you can tell when it is wearing off. DO NOT use the frontline with the tick killer in it or you will kill your cat. when i go to the vet to get it, i will, of course ask them. you know how vets are though. they never want to give free advice.

4catsncounting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is interesting rsmith and kimilou,

wow, what a cost saver to use the large dog product instead.  The stores around here do charge a bit more for the larger sizes, but not proportionally to the increase in ingredient amount.

Since Frontline (as is most of the products) is marketed for weight RANGES, I wouldn't be worried terribly about meticulously dosing.

ex. if you have a 1.34 ml dog vial and a 10 lb. cat, I'd administer half the vial and feel comfortable.

I'd rather give a wee too much than not enough.

There are line scores on the Frontline vial sides, though they are to help you grip, it does help you gauge where the liquid is.

And yeppers kimilou, I hear you on that vet attitude- that has been my experience.

If I actually get to talk to the vet, which is rare since the office personel and the vet techs want to field the calls and try to do the answering instead,

the vet will be vague and give me the "it could be, maybe not, we'd have to have a look, won't know until I do xyz..."

And being in such a rural part of Ameica, the choices of professional help are not endless- it's quite frustrating actually.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Check on luvmypetssupplystore..com for kits with large tubes and all the accessories you need to split into individual doses.  I have used it on my cats with no problems.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do animal rescue and have researched this thoroughly. The ingredients of Frontline Plus are EXACTLY the same for dogs and cats. The dosage is .05 ml per lb. So, a 10-lb cat would get .5 ml. I purchase the Extra-Large dog size, which is 4.0 ml per tube. So, for 10-lb cats, that's 8 doses per tube! I empty a 4.0 ml tube into a small glass vial and measure out each dose using a 1-ml syringe (without the needle, of course). Then I use the syringe to apply each dose to the back of the cat's neck, just as you would with a tube. The cost difference is amazing, because the price for each tube is basically the same, whether 4.0 ml for an extra-large dog or .05 ml for a 9-lb cat! So, for example, if the cost for one .5 ml tube (a cat-size dose) is $10, the cost for one 4.0 ml tube (extra-large dog-size dose) is also $10. THEREFORE, instead of paying $10 per cat-size dose, I pay only $1.25 per dose. Other animal rescuers and I have been doing this for years, so SPREAD THE WORD! (Caveat: You can do the same thing with some generic brands of Frontline Plus, but not all! Just be sure you check the ingredients of the generic brand to make sure they are exactly the same as Frontline Plus, which is fipronil and S-methoprene. Some of the generic brands replace the S-methoprene with different ingredients for cats and dogs. For those brands, you CANNOT use the extra-large dog formula on cats!)
Actually, the dog frontline has 8.8% methoprene and the cat frontline has 11.8% methoprene.  The fipronal is the same 9.8%   (according to Cats About Town Society)

4catsncounting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
And ya gotta woner why 3% more of that ingredient for cats makes a difference.  Do cats bed in the same place more, so there's more chance of larvae accumulating ...

do dogs excrete more skin oil readily and don't need more ... just pondering out loud ...

'tis odd. 

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They theorized that cats have fewer pores per square inch than dogs.   That would mean less is taken up in the body and a higher percentage is needed to get the same results.

4catsncounting

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Huh!  Good to know. 

I take it since it's become a not-so-well-kept-secret amongst shelter/catteries/multi homes,

that folks are having decent results, though, with using the dog formula.

Perhaps in a terribly infested initial situation - the cat concentration I would definately go with.

By the way, I do notice the cheaper brands of other active ingredients (even the Hartz, etc... brands are going with an etofenprox combo instead of the old fashioned pyrethrins, PBD etc...)

will often have S-methoprene as well.

I did a spreadsheet last week to get a "picture" of what ingredients are out there now, which brand has what and if each ingredient is safe for cats ...

it was quite the brain dazzler - geez!  Lots of choices out there for dogs and cats (and in some cases- ferrets).