Frontline or Advantage

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AZ<3Me

i guess frontline is safer, cuz it is recommended even for kittens (from the 1st day of life) plus it kills worms!
i use frontline but still treat for worms? my vet has never said anything about the frontline killing worms? and also the vet and the back of the bottle states that it can be used on newborn kittens from either 2 or 4 days old. i cant remember which , and havnt got a bottle to hand at the moment.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use Frontline. we don't need the tick protection, so i just buy the original. i use it every 3 months in the summer. so this year, once in the beginning of april, and once in the beginning of july. when i worked at a shelter a few years ago, a co-worker told me the off-label of frontline was 3 months for fleas. since we are just doing prevention for indoor only cats, that's what i go by.

thanks for the links sharky. i'm going to check into that spray.
i've been wanting to switch to something else more natural.

my sister has a cat who is very sensitive to chemicals and other things. she can't use conventional flea treatments. i will have to tell her about DeFlea products.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I buy a pack of Frontline for large dogs and divide it up to cat doses. One whole pack of (3) large dog doses of Frontline will basically treat 21 average sized cats. In otherwords, my 7 cats for 3 months. If fleas aren't noticed I might go every other month and I am just talking about spring and summer, into the fall. I don't treat in the winter.
is it safe to use the dog product on cats? I was always told by my vet NOT to do that, because the formulation is different for dogs than for cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by happy cat

is it safe to use the dog product on cats? I was always told by my vet NOT to do that, because the formulation is different for dogs than for cats.
Cat s require a HIGHER concetration than dogs thus My vet wouldnt sell me dog to do my cats ... oh and unless you have Jen s experience it may not be safe

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

My vet said that Advantage on dogs will poison a cat that goes near the dog.

Now, get this, if the Advantage is on the dog and a cat goes near the dog and gets poisoned, how poisonous is it to the cat??

I prefer Frontline Plus.

If I were in that situation, I would be vacuming furiously, bathing my cats in mild soap or shampoo, (baths alone will drown the fleas, no need for flea dip). I HATE fleas!!
Didn't read through the entire thread....but wanted to say. ADVANTIX is toxic to cats, but is avaliabel for dogs.
Advantage can be used on cats or dogs.

happy cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Cat s require a HIGHER concetration than dogs thus My vet wouldnt sell me dog to do my cats ... oh and unless you have Jen s experience it may not be safe
I would be afraid to try it. I just buy the frontline plus and use that. with only two cats, it's not a big expense and that way I don't chance it. Does Jen work for a vet?