Front paw declawed cat question...

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I'm currently fostering a 12 year old calico cat, I just picked her up on Sunday and don't know a thing about her (except she's up to date on vaccines, and healthy). She's also front paw declawed. I was just curious, do declawed cats have any sort of "common" behaviors due to the declawing? Specifically, are they more stand-offish or snippy, or quick-to-defend themselves? I was just asking because even though she's being kept separate for now, any time she catches a glimpse through the door at my resident cats, she goes into "I must defend myself" mode....

Obviously, that could have NOTHING to do with the claws, and just how she is - but I have very little to go on, unfortunately...

Koda&Jack

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Declawing a cat is extremely inhumane! A cats claws are a cats first line of defense. Since the cat is declawed, it may very likely be more anxious and a bit more aggressive since it doesn’t have its natural defenses. It wants to protect itself before it gets attacked. The behavior she is displaying is very natural and I would just give her a little more time to warm up. Hope this helps!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have had 3 cats (including my current cat, Feeby) who were front pawed declawed. None of them had any issues whatsoever related to the declawing. And, Feeby is the only one of the 3 who HATES all other cats. So, I am willing to bet what your foster cat is experiencing has more to do with being new to your home, which can create a lot of insecurity, especially at her age. Insecurity can be masked by a cat who chooses to act 'tough' instead of timid - all part of her personality.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Declawing a cat is extremely inhumane! A cats claws are a cats first line of defense. Since the cat is declawed, it may very likely be more anxious and a bit more aggressive since it doesn’t have its natural defenses. It wants to protect itself before it gets attacked. The behavior she is displaying is very natural and I would just give her a little more time to warm up. Hope this helps!
Thanks! I know, I feel SO bad for her....it's really weird to feel her paws against my leg or arm and feel no claw underneath :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chickpea616

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have had 3 cats (including my current cat, Feeby) who were front pawed declawed. None of them had any issues whatsoever related to the declawing. And, Feeby is the only one of the 3 who HATES all other cats. So, I am willing to bet what your foster cat is experiencing has more to do with being new to your home, which can create a lot of insecurity, especially at her age. Insecurity can be masked by a cat who chooses to act 'tough' instead of timid - all part of her personality.
Thanks....yeah, it's really hard to get a read on her - but it has only been less than a week, so it's going to take time to learn all her behaviors, etc. She's a real sweetheart, though! We are already loving her playfulness and her cuddles :). I'm sure I'll be back when it comes to introduction time - but for now, she can chill in my room as long as she wants! :loveeyes: