Fromm pet food opinions?

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been looking at a couple different kinds of wet food that my kitty hasn't tried yet and remembered reading about Fromm from a while back. I've done some reading from searches on the forum and get mixed info on if its a good food or not? He's sooooo picky and only eats fancy feast, purina true nature (and only true nature....one time I thought oh he likes purina now maybe I can try him on other purina food but that was a big nope) and nothing that is pate. I ordered some Farmina wet and dry for him to try (using the dry as more of a treat than anything) and am hoping he likes it.

Basically I have tried so many different pet foods ranging from our local walmart to petsmart and petco and am trying to find more different brands that he hasn't tried yet. I was really hoping he would like Dr. Elsey but he didn't 😥

Is Fromm still a good wet and dry food? Does anyone know if they offer samples? I saw where they offer turkey and chicken in gravy/cut form.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I was looking at the catfooddb.com Xanthan Gum, Locust Bean Gum are used so I wouldn't. The gravey wasn't listed so maybe it's different. I just bought whole hearted which they love and simply nourish. Also farmina

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SG liked the duck in the dry. The last bag we got was the game bird and it had a very strong smell, very strong. She'd gotten a little plump so we switched to a lower calorie food. If you're thinking lean, here check the calories.

The website could be easy to navigate but large portions of it are black on black for me. You can read it if you run the curser over it. They do have a chat line, very helpful and polite, they don't rush you to type fast.

If you buy the dry please note these are the bags like the chip bags and can suffocate a dog who goes in head first so you need to put it where the pets can't get to it and cut it up when you throw it away. I did talk to them about this and they insist it's a matter of freshness. However, for the large bags you will be opening and closing the bag every day, probably twice a day, so you'll probably want to put it in another container. I use sandwich bags, which hold several days food each.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats friskees the 3 that ate it 2 died over 16 1 is still hanging in there.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours ate Friskies for years, reaching good ages. Current one won't eat wet so we went looking for new foods.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a local pet supply? I have been dealing with a sick cat that changes her food eating every week because she is older and just not doing well.
Buy 1 of everything you can. Do not leave the dry food out. Feed the cat every day and start mixing in your wet. Maybe toppers will do the trick?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish I had a local pet supply store, I live in a very rural area lucky to have a Walmart close tbh. I did happen to be about an hour away today and found Fromm so I grabbed a bunch of wet and one bag of dry.

I usually always feed wet but tbh he doesn’t eat it all. Usually he licks up whatever he can and I use the dry to entice him to eat more if his wet.
This pet store also carries Fussie Cat so I grabbed some cans of wet too maybe he will like some of them. Would be nice to change up from fancy feast some

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SG liked the duck in the dry. The last bag we got was the game bird and it had a very strong smell, very strong. She'd gotten a little plump so we switched to a lower calorie food. If you're thinking lean, here check the calories.

The website could be easy to navigate but large portions of it are black on black for me. You can read it if you run the curser over it. They do have a chat line, very helpful and polite, they don't rush you to type fast.

If you buy the dry please note these are the bags like the chip bags and can suffocate a dog who goes in head first so you need to put it where the pets can't get to it and cut it up when you throw it away. I did talk to them about this and they insist it's a matter of freshness. However, for the large bags you will be opening and closing the bag every day, probably twice a day, so you'll probably want to put it in another container. I use sandwich bags, which hold several days food each.
Thank you! I wish I had grabbed a container that I seen earlier at the store….may try the sandwich bag idea since I for sure want to keep it fresh.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edit: I purchased a few wet from Fromm and the gold adult version of dry and a few fussie cat market select in wet.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Walmart been a bit cat food short in my area. Do you have a dollar store? They have a selection.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah went to the dollar store on my way home and was able to get a few fancy feast cans we are lucky to have a new one recently built so they are trying to keep it stocked.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After some coaching and tricking he ate a little of the farmina wet and nibbled at the dry (he would accidently eat some while trying to get a few bites of his old food ha whatever works right?) he seems to like it ok but he's not devouring it. I guess though its a step in the right direction.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does your cat like wet food more on the "juicy" side? I always add a little water to the Farmina wet food. The N&D line especially is thicker. My cat doesn't "love" the N&D ones but I feed a can every once in awhile for variety. He devours the venison and pumpkin and boar and pumpkin ones though.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try making gravy, in the usual way, to add to his food from time to time. Just don't put as much salt into it. We had a cat who liked cream gravy and that was pretty much it. Most like a touch of pork flavoring.

The gold was the Fromm our cat liked, a lot. Just get the store brand sandwich bags if they seal well for you. It does keep the food fresher than opening the big bag or even a plastic container since cats don't eat that much at a time.

Long ago when we had a year old kitten, he ripped into one of the cat food bags and ate until he fell asleep in it. Fortunately, that was before they made the dangerous-keep-it-fresh bags,which is why it disturbs me that the companies use them. Scissors are our friends.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep my cat loves most gravy. I swear he can tell if the food is healthier for him because anything too healthy and he snubs his nose in the air. I didn’t know cats could eat cream gravy that’s very interesting! I may give it a try he does love pork.
I attempted to give him some Fromm dry as treats this morning and he wasn’t interested….maybe he’s too used to other kibble? He had been eating science diet before I learned it’s not that good of a good.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually he does the same with dry that he does wet if he taste it AND it’s healthy he totally walks away. The only one he seemed to like semi healthy was solid gold indoor but it gave him constipation :(

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't put a lot of cream or milk in it. But some of the cat food companies have gravy foods. Long ago Purina, I think, had a liver and cream gravy our cat liked, well, not the liver part, but the gravy part. She's the one mentioned above. I'd just make white gravy, very little milk, and just give a teaspoon or so to get him started eating. Generally speaking a lot of cats don't do well with milk, being lactose intolerant.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sick cat is eating fancy feast grilled chicken and cheddar. I also found out if you pile the meat up in a mound so the cat can eat across the mound instead of licking, they devour more.

lomofirefly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to give this a try he really loves the cuts/gravy but has a hard time eating the food because he likes to lick it up only not sure if its a texture thing?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try scooping the gravy from the cuts into a bowl then pureeing the cuts, then putting the gravy back on the now pureed meat and see if that is easier for him.

be careful cleaning the blades, blenders are wicked.