From Garage To Basement Sleeping

MissyLeigh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a stray outdoor tabby this fall, and he sleeps in our garage at night. This winter we would like to transition him to the basement. What kind of scratching toy/device would you recommend for the garage that we could take with him to the basement that he might use rather than destroying things we have down there? Right now I know he scratches on the van tires. Any other ideas for making that move go well for us and him?
Thank you,
MissyLeigh

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if he likes the feel of tires on his claws, I am sure you can find a scrap one free to haul into the basement for him.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi M MissyLeigh ! A (rather belated) :welcomesign: to TCS :hithere:

How are things going with your boy now? It's wonderful that you've decided to move him inside with you :lovecat:

As far as scratching surfaces go, most cats love the feel of sisal-wrapped scratching posts, and cardboard scratchers are equally popular (my guys have several of both types, and love them all). Inviting, preferably easily washable, beds are another must, and at least one sturdy cat tree is well worth getting too. Then there are the obvious things, like litterboxes, food and water bowls etc

These articles have more ideas and pointers for you:-
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
New Cat Checklist: What You Need To Get Before Bringing Kitty Home
Bringing Home A New Cat - The Complete Guide