From a free walking cat to an apartment cat

anti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My name is Andy and new here.

I search some advice regarding my two years old cat.

Since more than a year she walks freely outside in the forests etc.

Now I will have to move to a city and I am scared what this can do to my cat.

Can anybody tell me his/her experiences with this kind of situations?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!

I've never had to make an indoor/outdoor cat indoor only; but I do have some thoughts from hearing others talk about making cats indoor only. 

When we moved we brought things that smelled like our old home; blankets they frequently slept on, their beds and cat tree, etc.  We set all this up in a spare bedroom while we moved the rest of our belongings in and got things quieted down.  This was their safe room for the first week or so.  I have also heard of bringing a few jugs of water from your old home to give at first because the water in a new place will taste different.  Having a safe room can help your kitty slowly adjust to everything.  It's common for them to hide and take a few days to weeks to settle in.

Some things that may help with the outdoor to indoor transition; vertical space!  Cat trees or shelves are great to help them get out the need to climb and survey.  Cat trees are also great as scratchers.  Be sure you have something appropriate for her; whether she is a vertical or horizontal scratcher.  Another thought; interactive play sessions with things like wand toys or something to help her get energy out.  You can also rotate the toys she has for free play from time to time so they stay fresh and interesting to her.  Depending on what your city home will be like; I've heard of cat proofing balconies and turning patios into an enclosure or even building small ones that work with your living situation.  

I hope those ideas help you some.  Good luck with your move!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I had never heard of bringing water from the old place, that's interesting!

I was thinking of vertical space, too.  Our cats are indoor/outdoor but get shut in at night.  Once they're shut in for the night, they love nothing more than to sit up in their cat trees and look out the windows during the evening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

Thank you very much for your answeres.

I will try to keep the mentionned points in mind.

So the important point is to make her feel at home from the beginning with smells and tasts from the home where the cat lived in before.

I am also very concerned because before she could go out, she peed several times on our bed, since she goes out it didn't happen again, I hope she will not restart doing it because she can't go out.

I don't know neither how it will be in our next apartment because I am awaiting confirmation for a new job, I only am already concerned as my little kitten is very important to me.

Maybe it is a little early but I prefer being prepared.

Best Regards

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Does your cat have a litter box inside now?  Perhaps it would be a good idea to get her used to using one now before you move.  Is it possible to start shutting her indoors part of the time, like at night, also to get her used to being indoors more often?

You're right about being prepared ahead of the time, the more you can do now to get her used to being indoors, the easier it will be when you do move.  Good luck with the new job!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Betsygee,

Thank you for your reply.

Before letting her out I already trained her to use the box and she always has minimum one here inside.

I also try to start this, when it rains it is pretty easy to keep her inside over night but when it doesn't rain, little princess has to go out, whatever I try :)

Thank you very much and best Regards