Friend's cat has extremely matted fur ...

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey TCS, hoping you can help me with it. As I've recently have come to be able to tolerate cats (due to allergies), and getting a cat of my own, I've begun helping my friend with his 17-year old longhair car. That cats fur is extremely matted in places on its back, and has been like that way for some time.

I can't get a clear read on how long its been like this, but it seems to me the cat hasn't been getting regular grooming in some time. The cat in general (named Sammy), is generally unsocial, and usually won't let anyone approach beside my friend, and myself; the family was extremely surprised I was able to hold Sammy without hissing or being bitten. After some advice from a friend who had a DLH cat, I gave the cat a bath with a friend using cat shampoo and a brush, and I think we managed to remove 25%-50% of the mats on this cats back (it wasn't an easy process in the slightly, but we did get quite a bit of dead fur off him with brushing, and he smells much better now).

I'd like to work out the remaining mats, but I'm not sure if I can convince my friend to take the cat to the vet or a groomer (although I will offer to bring him myself). Any recommendations on working on large mats on a semi-cooperative cat?

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NCommander

Hey TCS, hoping you can help me with it. As I've recently have come to be able to tolerate cats (due to allergies), and getting a cat of my own, I've begun helping my friend with his 17-year old longhair car. That cats fur is extremely matted in places on its back, and has been like that way for some time.

I can't get a clear read on how long its been like this, but it seems to me the cat hasn't been getting regular grooming in some time. The cat in general (named Sammy), is generally unsocial, and usually won't let anyone approach beside my friend, and myself; the family was extremely surprised I was able to hold Sammy without hissing or being bitten. After some advice from a friend who had a DLH cat, I gave the cat a bath with a friend using cat shampoo and a brush, and I think we managed to remove 25%-50% of the mats on this cats back (it wasn't an easy process in the slightly, but we did get quite a bit of dead fur off him with brushing, and he smells much better now).

I'd like to work out the remaining mats, but I'm not sure if I can convince my friend to take the cat to the vet or a groomer (although I will offer to bring him myself). Any recommendations on working on large mats on a semi-cooperative cat?
I'm not an expert, but my instincts are telling me he might be grumpy because of the mats. Sounds like you've done a great job so far with the friend and the cat, so maybe it's time for a vet or groomer to take over and finish it up. If you're prepared to offer to take the cat yourself, and can do that, I think that's a great idea!

Good for you for working on the matted kitty and working to make Sammy more comfortable! Sounds like you've got a way with cats!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am working on my cat Goofy right now and his mat problems. Every day when he is laying in the sun, I start. He seems to know I am helping him because he starts washing right away, like he is helping me.

It just take a lot of patience and time. Try not to work too long. Give it 15 minutes and then come back so he does not get antsy.

It's good of you to help the old fellow. As cats get older, it is common for them to give up the grooming. Just like people...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

I am working on my cat Goofy right now and his mat problems. Every day when he is laying in the sun, I start. He seems to know I am helping him because he starts washing right away, like he is helping me.

It just take a lot of patience and time. Try not to work too long. Give it 15 minutes and then come back so he does not get antsy.

It's good of you to help the old fellow. As cats get older, it is common for them to give up the grooming. Just like people...
Heh, hopefully once the mats are out, Sammy will start grooming himself but I'll tell Erik to regularly brush him if he wants to prevent a reappearance; he does groom the spots that aren't matted. I talked to my friend today, and he's working on slowly coming out the remaining mats, and he got three of them out, and he says the cat seems to be happier (although probably still ticked from its 25 minute bath while we worked out all the stuff in his fur).

I'll be going there today and seeing what else we can do. Is there a safe way to cut the mats out for the *really* stubborn ones without a vet? (I think I could use scissors to cut the midsection of the mat, then comb the rest of it out, but I'm not sure if thats a safe or smart thing to do.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmm... scissors and cats are not a good mix in my experience. Why not shave him down - have a pro do it... and start from scratch. Also combs work better on long haired cats or cats with dense undercoats. And yes the mats can hurt and if left untreated - skin problems can develop in those spots.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Never bathe a cat with mats- it sets those mats like concrete. Instead, buy a large seam ripper and start to work gently on the biggest mat. Unlike brushes and combs, the seam ripper doesn't pull the skin. Unlike scissors, the seam ripper won't cut the skin if you remember not to dig down- but dig out. Kitty needs to be shaved and I would ask a vet to sedate kitty and shave him down. That is the best way- otherwise just use the seam ripper and work slowly and carefully. There could be infections under the mats depending on how long they have sat on the skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ncommander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Never bathe a cat with mats- it sets those mats like concrete. Instead, buy a large seam ripper and start to work gently on the biggest mat. Unlike brushes and combs, the seam ripper doesn't pull the skin. Unlike scissors, the seam ripper won't cut the skin if you remember not to dig down- but dig out. Kitty needs to be shaved and I would ask a vet to sedate kitty and shave him down. That is the best way- otherwise just use the seam ripper and work slowly and carefully. There could be infections under the mats depending on how long they have sat on the skin.
*sigh*, too late on the bath as previously mentioned. I'd like to have him shaved, and if he was my cat, I would, but I haven't managed to convince the owners to shave said cat (yet). I have said that he should be looked at by a vet, I'll see what I can do though.

I'll also see on using a seam ripper.

pat traufield

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Preferrably this cat should be shaved down at the vets while drugged out.

There are professional de-matting tools available. Also rubbing a little bit of cornstarch into the mat helps the de-matters go through them and won't hurt the cat.

Severe matting is actually considered "animal cruelty" is most places. Please stress to the owner that this is a bad situation.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO the cat needs to be shaved (even if you pay for it). And as the fur is growing back out, a COMB should be used every day (not a brush). At 17 yrs old the cat is not really capable of keeping the fur nice anymore and daily grooming IS important and essential.

I'm sure that once all mats are out of the coat and he's combed every day, he will feel and act a lot better. Part of his disposition is because he hates having the mats taken out.