Friends 19 year old cat has started making this strange cough sound

Molly Girl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a short video of it ...

Dougal - 19 years old

Just wondering if anyone might know what this is. The cat is generally very happy despite walking slow. He on prednisone 5mg a day to manage his IBS and arthritis, and thyroid meds, and appetite stimulant. He gets regular blood work from the vet ... but they wanted to put him down over a year ago so she is hesitant to take him in at this point.

Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Dougal is old enough that the cough could be related to most anything. But, when a cat is on Pred and also has thyroid issues, the main thing that comes to my mind is heart issues. There are tons of ways to treat many heart conditions.

If your friend's vet is more interested in putting Dougal to sleep than trying to treat him, then your friend needs to find a better vet. Assuming your friend cannot use your vet, perhaps they can ask neighbors, friends, family, and/or co-workers for referrals.

I have a 19+ yo cat with multiple health conditions, but as long as they are treatable, I would walk away from my vet in a heartbeat if all they would offer is euthanasia.

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Usually cats with heart disease don’t cough. It could be feline asthma, or many other things. It might be best for your friend to find a feline only vet if they can.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Usually cats with heart disease don’t cough. It could be feline asthma, or many other things. It might be best for your friend to find a feline only vet if they can.
This isn't nessesarly true, Kabuto has heart disease and coughs because of it.

But every animal is different and nothing is absolute.

But unless this cat is in obvious distress any legitamate vet would try to work with the owner to give palitive care rather than jump to euthanasia. That is an absolute last resort when suffering is obvious and all options have been exhausted.

I would definatly try a different vet.