friendly stray or someones cat

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About 9 months ago a thin black cat came to moms door. He would not leave. Mom has alz and let it in etc... So now none of that but she comes every couple days you see where she comes from on the other side of condo complex. I decided to feed her as she would not leave otherwise..Friendly as well.    I open the garage a little give good food then she leaves... She looks much better since I started feeding her. But she is extremely thin and now I noticed her eye was dilated then it went away... But now its completely dilated with a film over it... What should I do.. She goes home and gets around but it kills me to see this... With cold coming I just don't know... I have had cats my whole life and when its time you know.. I know if I go to the vet they will tell me to put it down...So should I wait and keep watchin her and see..... Its such a tuff call. As it is I take care of mom go back and forth now I worry about the cat.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If possible, could you ask the neighbors if they know if this cat has a home or not?  It may be that the other place she goes is someone who is simply feeding her but not taking ownership.  Perhaps the condo office would have info.

Either way, I would take her to the vet.  If anyone "owns" her, they are not being responsible, letting her suffer like this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its  so hard of a call... she comes every 2 days or so. Waits on the nice chair I have for her on the  covered outside porch. She saw me come and jumped right to me. I feed her in the garage.. She ate a can and a 1/2.. I picked her up she must weigh less than a pound.. She eats then runs off or may hang around for a bit... I would take it in but cannot. caring for mom who loves cats but lost hers to illness. and I have three at home..I could bring it in if it can handle the ride, get blood tests and rabies and look at eye but they may say put it down.. I keep a sharp eye on the cat now and will bring it in ...What kills me it was someones cat as she is very friendly, no fleas and she always runs back to where she must live..Condo people here are useless no one cares.. She came in early spring and I doubt will survive the winter.. I follow my gut and will do something soon....Big problem is the vets they don t care whose cat it is or not they still will charge full price.. One neighbor said to me I have enough issues why should the cat be your responsibility??? Comments like that  are stupid... Mom started feeding her and I continued she is my responsibility and even if I didn't and the cat still came around I would feel bad.... She came to the right door 9 months ago and would just sit by the door. What was odd my neighbors cat always came to my mothers and she fed it.... But when I ran into the neighbor in March she said Oh we had to put the cat down.. I felt bad... A week later the same blacking looking cat came to moms door.. I thought it was the cat that was put down!!!! I asked the lady are you sure it was.... This cat looks just like the other except lacks white... This cat found mom and knew we are nice people.. It breaks my heart everyday and I know I have to do something soon.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After all this, I would figure she's an abandoned cat and take steps to find her a home.  If you're like me, your friends all have enough cats but you could ask them.

Call the shelter, especially if its a no-kill.  Or you could contact a rescue and see if they could offer suggestions.  If Animal Control is helpful, call them too.

Good luck!

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UNFORTUNATELY there is no help we I live... Went through this with 2 cats already in the past. No kill shelter never has room. Animal control who knows what they would do.  Poor thing was cold today did anything to get in the sun... Going back to moms setting up room in cellar so at least I can bring him to the vet then go from there...People are strange around here and no one want to get involved... But I am the cat looks at me, like help me.... And I am going tooooo

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I say good for you for hanging in there.  As you said, not everyone steps forward.  Kudos to you for doing so.  Fingers crossed ...

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you can take him to the vet, even if all you can afford to do now is to get his eye treated. Eye infections can often be successfully treated, I've gone through this twice with cats, and my previous feral had such a severe infection I'm sure he would have died from it if I hadn't gotten antibiotics in him. If you can get his immediate health crisis resolved then you could continue to care for him as an outside cat. Don't let fear keep you from getting him to a vet if you can afford it, especially when all he might need are antibiotics. Even if he's blind in one eye, he could still hace a good life. Sending prayers your way.

Last edited:

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I took her in. Very quiet in the carrier as if it was so nice to have warmth and comfort. She weighs almost 5 pounds. Vet said all the blood work is good, thyroid fine...About 16 or 17 years old... The eye has a cataract she cannot see out of it... So now my dilemma what do I do.... Bring it back to moms or let it go out see if it goes home? Been with us 9 months show up every couple of days..Very friendly so it must be or was someones cat... They said she should be kept in...Eye could detach glaucoma so she needs TLC.. Esp winter here and other cats around..Mom has alz I cannot leave her with the cat. I am there but have three cats at home. I go back and forth... At least the cat if let out again can come in but with caregivers in and out it makes for a difficult situation...Cannot let a cat with one eye run around outside...Any so called owner should not allow it either.. I just cannot believe it weighs 5 lbs... It was a bit dehydrated, kidneys felt small... But vet said she;s fine. What do I doooo

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think she should be left outside. She is very old and may not survive the winter. It's wonderful that you got her to the vet! Is there a way you can take her into your house? I hsve 5 cats indoors and one of them is 16 and has a heart condition. My other four are young and spirited, but know to leave the old one alone. Maybe you could put her in a room by herself? You could also keep her at your mom's house and purchase automatic food and water dispensers. They're not expensive, you can get them at Walmart. If you provided two litter boxes, then they could be scooped out every few days. I know this is a difficult decision for you and I've been there, but i can say I've never regretted any cat in need that I've taken in, even though I never intended to have five. Continued prayers for your kitty snd thanks for getting her to a vet.

Last edited:

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mom loves cats has always had them. But last year her 3 cats died. One was full of cancer and all bones so I  finally put him down... Then her beloved girl had a hear attack in front of us had to put her down then 2 months later as I know from experience then when a mate goes the other goes happened to me twice.. Her brother 2 months to the date had heart failure.. So mom has no cats...I have three but cannot take anymore. I am at moms everyday but caregiver comes in the evenings for a while mom lives alone...I am in a very difficult situation. Have had cats my whole life at 62 I know alot but whats sad out there no one really cares even the so called animal shelter is bad...Where do seniors who are ill cannot have cats pot their pets!!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're at your mom's house every day, maybe she would be willing to take the kitty inside with your help? He would likely sleep most of the time. If you can't take the cat inside, could you set up a pet house or shelter with an outdoor heating pad, or straw, and make dry food and water available all day long? (There are many threads on this forum about making inexpensive shelters). Perhaps in the garage or on your porch? Where is the cat now? He is likely nearing the end of his life at age 17, so it's a matter of making him as warm and comfortable as possible.

Last edited:

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is here cannot bring her to moms. Her eye is bad. She is frail.. Mom with her illness would not understand her eye problem... I feel good she has a roof over her head bur she's tired.Will take time to introduce her to others.... With a cataract i'm using world best car litter less dusty but don't think she likes it. she peed in her carrier. Or just give it time

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try mixing some dirt from outside with her litter, that should help. Maybe if she does her business elsewhere, put it in the litter box to help her to get the idea. I hope she uses the litter box soon, that is a stressor you can live without.

Slow introductions with the other cats is best. I have two "special needs" cats in my home--one is 16 years old with a heart murmur, and the other is a bit lame from a crooked leg and a bullet lodged in her pelvis. My other three rambunctious cats leave these two alone in peace. I'm sending good thoughts and prayers that this will be the case with your cats. You have surely saved this cat's life and I hope you are blessed for giving him happiness in his remaining yeas.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think you need another cat.:) It sounds to me like she came into your lives for a reason and that you've already made your decision about her.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats I have begrudgingly taken into my home when I really didn't want another cat have become some of the biggest blessings in my life. I hope it is the same for you.

Last edited:

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she is so thin and frail. Peed in box but going outsie of box. Why she is so thin is odd to me... I am surprised she did not put her down but she still had life and tests good.. I have a kitty Tube I had got for prev outside cat at moms. Mom would not let me keep it so I am using it for this cat in the bathroom. She loves it, barely comes out... I think with all the tests she's wasted. The other cat that came here after being at moms on her porch a feral I took to vet as she looked veryill.. Vet said yes her tests are terrible but I took her home umtil tests came back the Kitty tube was there for him... He adored it finally a warm place... We had a great week together until I put him down.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give her a dewormer? Usually a dose or two of a dewormer will get rid of any parasites. Most outdoor cats have worms, which makes them very thin because they are not receiving all of their nutrition. If she has received a dewormer, just know that it will take several weeks for her to gain weight. This is the way it was with all of the Cats I have taken inside. As long as she is eating don't worry about it. Give her canned food as often as you can, and leave dry food out for her 24/7.

batrice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes she was wormed. But my thought is she came to moms every other day or sometimes every two days and would always run back to where she came from. Perhaps being so thin is from not having enough nutrition and we were the only ones feeding her.... She seems so happy in her kitty tube.. I will try to get her out to walk if she wants. But she;s tired and cold. No fat.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try feeding her kitten chow, which has a higher protein content. It takes time for cats to put on body weight, esp after having been malnourished for a while. As long as she is eating every day you don't need to worry about it.