Friendly Stray Cat, Would Like To Make House Cat...thoughts???

CeleryStalks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have befriended a stray cat who has taken up residence in my back yard and apparently other yards as well.

This cat is super-friendly, rolls over for belly rubs, allows me to pick her up, loves her face rubbed, constantly meows to greet me and purrs (almost) non stop.

Would like to make it a house cat, but don't want to wake up to a shredded couch, drapery and the like.

I can probably get her in a cage and take her to the vet for a checkup.
(I would hate to pay a lot in vet bills and gen have to release her back outside if it doesn't work out)

Is taking in a stray cat advisable or am I looking for problems?

This cat is so sweet, I'd hate for something bad to happen to it.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Would like to make it a house cat, but don't want to wake up to a shredded couch, drapery and the like.
Believe me, you WILL most probably wake up to a shredded couch and draperies. Unless you put on some protection and a lot of scratch posts, toys and tree house to make a cat occupied. But soon your love for your cat surpasses any earthly things. :)

(I would hate to pay a lot in vet bills and gen have to release her back outside if it doesn't work out)
In general, pets have to be checked at least annually by the vet, and to have them vaccinated, etc. At times as pet owners we have no choice but to bring our cats to the vet in cases of emergencies or ailments. :)

This cat is so sweet, I'd hate for something bad to happen to it.
By the looks of it you have already fallen in love with this cat. She will be forever grateful once you take her off of the street and keep her permanently safe inside. I assure you, having cats will bring you a lot of joy and daily amusement. There is never a dull day with a cat. :)

Goodluck and whatever your decision is, THANK YOU for even considering taking in this precious baby. Once you decide to have her as officially yours, I suggest immediate spaying to ensure you will also not wake up one morning with a litter of kitties. :)

mutex

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a feral/stray. He's been in a bedroom since mid April. I try to give him things to keep him occupied but he's going to get bored. He hasnt trashed a single thing in the room. He peed in a corner the first day but then figured out the litter. He's oddly respectful of my stuff. So it really depends on the cat.

BTW he's getting friendlier and friendlier. He went from a cat that wouldnt let anyone within 10 feet of him to licking food off my fingers and falling asleep on my foot! Im hoping he lets me pet him (I want to be able to check him for ticks etc) soon and I can let him out of that room.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of mine - all but five - have been strays. No, wait four of those began as a stray rescued by a friend. One of mine wasn't a stray. No, problems that you wouldn't have with a cat from the shelter except the stray won't be traumatized by being in a cage at the shelter.

Get the vet to check the cat out, scan for a microchip. then keep an eye out for lost cat posters - on the Net in your area and on telephone poles also in your area. Check with your local shelter to see if anyone reported a lost cat. Ask if they have a report of a lost cat, do not take the cat to shelter unless you want to chance him being pts by mistake. (bad experiences? who me?)

Ask your vet for other ideas and how long you should do this in your area. We do it for a month in case the owner is in the hospital and the cat got out when the ambulance came. If this is the case, think of what a blessing you can be to both the cat and his owner, while the owner can't keep him safe and the cat is confused and grieving.

Odds are someone moved and left the cat behind. Go with your heart, open the door and say, "come on in, you belong here."

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
As K Kflowers mentioned, I did see a neighbor cat run out the door when the ambulance came to respond to her elderly owner who had a heart attack....it can happen.

The only other thing I can add is that I have owned cats who touched nothing in the house....chairs, Christmas decorations, etc. You won't know for sure until you start to work with the cat and offer alternatives like toys and posts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CeleryStalks

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all and thanks for the insightful replies. Since I last posted, I had the opportunity to pick up the cat and bring her inside, closed the door and let her wander inside for about 5 minutes. She cautiously went around from room to room, they meowed and pawed at the door and floor, then I let her back out. It's a start. I will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Purrrfectttales

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think the first step would be to make sure the cat doesn't have an owner or isn't lost. Then if you wanted to try you could start by cat proofing a room and putting the cat inside. Treat for parasites/fleas to make sure your whole house doesn't become infested.

Growing up I had an outdoor cat that I reallllyyy wanted to bring inside. When I got my own place he was an old man by that time. I decided he was definitely moving into my apartment! I build a kitty condo for him to stay in during the day while I was gone. When I came home from work I would let him out supervised. I would say it took maybe a month or so before I trusted him to run free all day alone. Eventually he became an indoor kitty only and never had to brave the outdoors again! He died peacefully in my arms at 13 years of age inside my apartment not somewhere out in the woods.