Friendly or aggressive?

lynniemu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I posted previously regarding introducing a new cat to my home. Our first cat, Spencer, is a neutered 5-6 year old male. Our new cat, Josie, is a spayed 9 year old female cat. Spencer is wildly outgoing and curious; he is an indoor outdoor cat. Josie is shy and can be skiddish (although she is slowly warming up to our household; she lived with a quiet man who passed away).

In all, everything seems to be going well. Both cats are on the same feeding schedule now, both have free reign of the house, and there is never any hissing. For the most part, they follow each other around and can generally be found in the same room. Spencer has taken to using the littler box Josie uses rather than his boxes in the basement; we have moved the box twice and are working towards having all 3 boxes in/around the basement (no box issues to note). Spencer will occasionally chase Josie; she will meow and run, but doesn't hide. She will end up lying within a few feet of Spencer and he will lay down as well...I have chalked this up to Spencer trying to play and Josie not being super interested.

Today I witnessed Spencer biting Josie's neck; she meowed and stood up from her resting spot...But it didn't seem to be a hard bite and he approached her so casually...Is this something to be concerned about? I am sure it is not the first time...It is just the first time I have witnessed it.

Also, Spencer will place one paw over Josie's back...I have been taking this as an attempt to play and she often runs away...Is that what this is or is it an attempt to mount as a dominance thing?

They will play on occasion, rub up against one another, and if either meows when the other is not present, the other comes running to see what is up. They seem to be getting along, but want to nip and concerning behaviors in the bud if needed.

Thanks!

This is what I mean by placing his paw on Josie's back; it happens when they are on the same level too...

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Spencer has a wee crush on Josie to me  
  Their choosing to be near each other is very friendly.  I don't see any aggression issues at all, just Spencer feeling love-lorn.  

Maybe try a Feliway cat pheromone plug-in or spray, it might take Spencer's mind off Josie and help to settle them in together. 

I expect that they will grow ever closer.  Spencer is just testing Josie's boundaries.  They'll be like an old married couple before too long..... 

I don't recommend putting all their litter bowls in the basement, by the way.  They need to have access to litter on different levels.  It could be an invite for trouble.