Friendly Female(?) Stray/behavior, Etc.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have cat who has been coming to the back door every night for a couple of weeks. DH first noticed it running under something in our yard, so we started putting a plate of food out every night by the back door.

I had a look at her from a few feet away, in the dark, with just the dim porch light. I think it's a female. She looks like one, and her meow is so sweet.

Two nights ago, I met her in person, instead of seeing her through the door. She ran when I came out, but meowed to me, and came back within a few feet. She is quite the talker! She even calls to me from her hiding place at the side of the deck. We've been doing this for two nights, and she gets closer. She keeps making eye contact, and talking, and every time, she gets closer.

In session #2 of last night (this went on for about an hour total), she ate within 2 feet of me, with the door open, and me crouching and talking to her. I got a few blinks and soft meows.

What does this all mean? Is she warming up to me? My goal is to get her inside.

I'm also wondering if some of her behavior could be a sign of pregnancy, not just "I like you, nice lady who feeds me"? I can't get a good look at her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
She ran when I came out, but meowed to me, and came back within a few feet. She is quite the talker!
I'm not a formal cat behaviorist, but the repeated meowing, making willing eye contact and especially her coming closer, yes absolutely, you'll be getting her inside in a short while, that would be my thinking for sure! Good for you!!
Oh and you got me really good LOL with your comment that her meow is so sweet, awwww :tongue: :greenpaw::greenpaw::bluepaw::bluepaw::redheartpump:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feral cats will not meow as adults, so she grew up as a pet. It sounds like she asking you to be her person! Most cats are cautious with new people at first. I hope she makes her way inside soon!

You can keep working with her to get her to come inside on her own, or you can set up a trap. That would be good because you could get her to the vet right away, start medicating for parasites and fleas, and get her spayed if she's not already. That is all good to get done sooner rather than later. It's easier to socialize a healthy cat. Also, if she is early in a pregnancy, it's better to spay as soon as possible. Spaying a pregnant cat isn't easy for some people, but remember, best case scenario, she has kittens and you get them adopted to loving homes, they will be taking the place of kittens that have already been born and will go homeless and hungry instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
For the past 3 nights, she has been coming into the room, mostly crouching inside the door, but facing in the room. This goes on for about an hour every night. Tonight, I faced the space heater toward her, and she sat in the heat a few feet away, and cleaned herself. She sometimes ventures halfway into the room, checking it out. I leave the door open only because of the layout of the room: she crouches inside the door, so I can't get up and shut it fast. I need to get her away from the door, hide behind it, and then shut it. That's easier than it sounds!

Looking at her, I don't think she's pregnant. I was able to get a good look at her tonight.

At one point tonight, she went out, and I close the door, and went into the next room. I turned to see her wistfully watching me through the glass door!

Even when she runs out, she stays close, and now even comes to the open door when I call her. When she was inside, she came up to me, and I think she wanted me to pet her, but I didn't want to push it.

We had a terrible snow storm today. I was hoping to get her inside permanently last night, but she wasn't ready. She survived the storm, and seems o.k.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
She came back, after leaving about 45 minutes ago. I could hear her meowing for me from the next room, with the door closed. She comes, then goes out, all night, until I shut thing down, and go to bed. I just wish she'd stay inside with me!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Great. Now, there's a large black cat hanging around, he nearly came in the house while she was there, and I think he's a male, judging by his size--and our girl seems interested in Bad Boy. He even got up on the fence to watch her.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I've given my little teenage daughter the "Stay away from that boy, he's no good" talk, but I don't think it sunk in...darned kids nowadays! :lol:

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, love or lust will find a way! Better get her inside and a trip to the vet ASAP.

Reminds me of a Texas story. We were unloading during our move and my daughter was helping. All of a sudden there appears this zit faced teenager out of nowhere. So we are all sitting on the couch and daughter is petting our cat. So he looks over and says “what’s your cats name?”. She says Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart but I call him wolfie for short. He thought for a minute, I guess summoning some leftover knowledge from his high school days and said “ say, wasn’t that a real person?”! So I told her later she could not date anyone who’s first name is only initials like BJ or anyone named after an animal like Bear or Wolf!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
That little TART! When I opened the door a few minutes ago, she and Bad Boy were getting cozy with each other. They guilty stepped aside, as if they were up to no good. :think:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Romeow was just calling to her. The funny thing is, I originally wanted name her Juliette, after one of my Mom's family.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!!! I lured her further into the room with her food, and managed to get to the door to close it. She wasn't happy: she jumped up onto a table, knocked over my baskets of knitting, and climbed the French doors' curtains, knocking a shamrock wreath down. She is now hiding behind a large painting that's propped up against the wall, which hides the router. I'll just put food, litter, water and a cat bed out for her, and let her be. Sorry, Romeow--Juliette is off the market. :yess:

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!!! I lured her further into the room with her food, and managed to get to the door to close it. She wasn't happy: she jumped up onto a table, knocked over my baskets of knitting, and climbed the French doors' curtains, knocking a shamrock wreath down. She is now hiding behind a large painting that's propped up against the wall, which hides the router. I'll just put food, litter, water and a cat bed out for her, and let her be. Sorry, Romeow--Juliette is off the market. :yess:
WOOHOO you rock!!, --glad the house survived lol
The house survived, but I may not!