Friend of Ferals Award Badge - Apply Here

theforgottencat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I was looking for an introduction thread and found this! Fun! I tend to talk a lot so I'll try to keep it short ;) 

Last summer I moved to a new neighborhood with a strict housing association. Cats cannot roam per the lease. Around November I noticed a brown tabby cat hanging around. It was friendly and I assumed lost. After posting it online and asking around I learned it was thought to be left behind after a family moved away. I was shocked and felt awful for this poor sweet thing so I began to feed it. Within a month 9 more cats started coming to my house to be fed. I quickly learned the cats all live in the storm drains and that's often how they travel from one area of the neighborhood to the next.

Quick confession... I'm a dog person. lol I'm actually allergic to most cats but I couldn't help but fall in love with all 10 of these beauties. I started researching ferals and came across someone saying, "If you feed 'em, fix 'em". So I pleaded my case with my husband and bought a live trap. In March we moved about 1/8th of a mile away in the same neighborhood and I have met a whole new colony of ferals. I miss my old house because the area was so quiet the cats hung out right on my back porch. My new house suits my family better since the area is filled with kids (I have 3) but I long to look outside and see "my" cats!

So far I know of 16 of the ferals in my neighborhood. I have successfully TNRed 9, convinced a neighbor to neuter their free roaming male, saved a partially blind kitten and adopted out a pregnant female who just had 4 kittens July 22nd! I have a lot of support from neighbors but am doing it alone and its a LARGE area to cover. It seems like everytime I turn a corner I see a new cat. A few are strays, most are feral but I know all of them deserve to be cared about and I'm just hoping I can help them live a happier, healthier lives! :)  <3

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

Hello everyone! I was looking for an introduction thread and found this! Fun! I tend to talk a lot so I'll try to keep it short ;) 

Last summer I moved to a new neighborhood with a strict housing association. Cats cannot roam per the lease. Around November I noticed a brown tabby cat hanging around. It was friendly and I assumed lost. After posting it online and asking around I learned it was thought to be left behind after a family moved away. I was shocked and felt awful for this poor sweet thing so I began to feed it. Within a month 9 more cats started coming to my house to be fed. I quickly learned the cats all live in the storm drains and that's often how they travel from one area of the neighborhood to the next.

Quick confession... I'm a dog person. lol I'm actually allergic to most cats but I couldn't help but fall in love with all 10 of these beauties. I started researching ferals and came across someone saying, "If you feed 'em, fix 'em". So I pleaded my case with my husband and bought a live trap. In March we moved about 1/8th of a mile away in the same neighborhood and I have met a whole new colony of ferals. I miss my old house because the area was so quiet the cats hung out right on my back porch. My new house suits my family better since the area is filled with kids (I have 3) but I long to look outside and see "my" cats!

So far I know of 16 of the ferals in my neighborhood. I have successfully TNRed 9, convinced a neighbor to neuter their free roaming male, saved a partially blind kitten and adopted out a pregnant female who just had 4 kittens July 22nd! I have a lot of support from neighbors but am doing it alone and its a LARGE area to cover. It seems like everytime I turn a corner I see a new cat. A few are strays, most are feral but I know all of them deserve to be cared about and I'm just hoping I can help them live a happier, healthier lives! :)  <3
  Even though you're doing it alone, it is good to at least have the support from neighbours. 

Thank you for doing such a wonderful job..
   Welcome to TCS, and badge awarded!

jbstez

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
over the past 15 years the love of my life have rescued many dogs and cats. Recently, we saved the remaining two feral kittens from two moms that have been left to their own care. One we have named Kierna (irish for - little dark one) the other Kimba after a childhood cartoon. The girl is a delight, easy going, playful with our elder cats (two rescues) and more. The boy is a challenge. He originally was skittish of the two of us, but slowly was allowing us to hug him and pet him, but was showing signs of scared of the male adult. As tie has gone by he asks for rubs and hugs from the adult female but runs from the male. He has for the most part befriended the two cats and loves his friend Kierna. We are going slow with him and hope someday he will see the love both humans have for him. So, to all that live this life, keep the love in your heart for them and know you have given them a better life.

To date we have rescued two dogs, and five cats. We hope to catch their moms and gets them spayed and new homes or release them back into their world. Keep you posted.

J and P

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

over the past 15 years the love of my life have rescued many dogs and cats. Recently, we saved the remaining two feral kittens from two moms that have been left to their own care. One we have named Kierna (irish for - little dark one) the other Kimba after a childhood cartoon. The girl is a delight, easy going, playful with our elder cats (two rescues) and more. The boy is a challenge. He originally was skittish of the two of us, but slowly was allowing us to hug him and pet him, but was showing signs of scared of the male adult. As tie has gone by he asks for rubs and hugs from the adult female but runs from the male. He has for the most part befriended the two cats and loves his friend Kierna. We are going slow with him and hope someday he will see the love both humans have for him. So, to all that live this life, keep the love in your heart for them and know you have given them a better life.

To date we have rescued two dogs, and five cats. We hope to catch their moms and gets them spayed and new homes or release them back into their world. Keep you posted.

J and P
  You will get a lot of good advice in the Strays and Ferals forum about trapping the mother and any other cats that may be around for desexing, as that is such an important part of caring for them.

Thank you for sharing your story, @jbstez ... Badge awarded.

tom daigon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a colony of about 11 cats here in Las Vegas. Ive been feeding, sheltering and giving them love for about 10 years. About half are feral ( but act very loving and domestic with me) and the other half were abandoned.

Mama, Katy. Cricket, Tuxedo, Moe, Larry , Curley, Chatterbox,Athena, Bumper and Blue are their names  ;)

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

I have a colony of about 11 cats here in Las Vegas. Ive been feeding, sheltering and giving them love for about 10 years. About half are feral ( but act very loving and domestic with me) and the other half were abandoned.

Mama, Katy. Cricket, Tuxedo, Moe, Larry , Curley, Chatterbox,Athena, Bumper and Blue are their names  ;)
  Hi Tom.  I've been looking at your posts about the great homes you provide for your colony

Badge awarded and welcome to the site.

godiva kiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I help take care of a mama feral cat named Fluffy. She had 2 babies, but sadly they didn't last very long.(sobs) Then she had a group of 4 kitties and I helped take care of all of them(one is at my grandmother's) and she still comes around and I give her food and water(and treats whenever I have them).

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

I help take care of a mama feral cat named Fluffy. She had 2 babies, but sadly they didn't last very long.(sobs) Then she had a group of 4 kitties and I helped take care of all of them(one is at my grandmother's) and she still comes around and I give her food and water(and treats whenever I have them).
@Godiva Kiss could you take fluffy to be spayed?  It seems such a shame that she is out there constantly getting pregnant..

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
She looks young, poor baby.  At least she won't have to go through having more kittens ever again.   Does she seem totally feral?

Badge awarded.

godiva kiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First let me start off by thanking you for giving me the award badge. It really means a lot especially because all this(the site and everything is still kind of new to me). So I want to thank you again. Now regarding your question:

Sadly, she is still feral but not as much in my opinion.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

First let me start off by thanking you for giving me the award badge. It really means a lot especially because all this(the site and everything is still kind of new to me). So I want to thank you again. Now regarding your question:

Sadly, she is still feral but not as much in my opinion.
  I'm just wondering whether she could be taken off the streets.  What do you think?

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

I always try my best to help ferals. I babysit one named Mocha. I try my best to get Mocha a healthy weight and keep her healthy and happy. I also helped three black feral cats. We found them with their mother. They were very skinny so we tried our best to socialize them and get them back to health and we made sure they went to loving families except for one named Sibble. We never were able to get her to trust us. We lost her one night when she ran into the forest next to us.

#HelpTheFerals!
  Thank you for your work with ferals, Music Cat.  Hopefully you do your best to have them desexed as well.

ladonnafe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI all,

I'm still new to the site, and that being said, new to caring for animals as well.

Ever since I was little, I always wanted pets, but apart from having a fish tank, my mom never let me. At the time of course I never understood, but it was her love and respect for animals that drove her decision . We always lived in the city and did not have a garden. In her opinion, it was just as cruel to keep animals locked inside, as it is for humans. Animals should be able to go out when they want and stay in when they want.

As I've lived in apartments ever since leaving my family home, that thought always stuck with me, and I never took in any pets.

Then in January, me and my boyfriend moved into our new house in the country, and the first thing I said was that I wanted a puppy and a kitten. But because we still have a lot of renovations ahead, we agreed to put that on hold for a while longer.

Then the first time I left the garbage outside, I found it all torn up, and saw a calico fleeing the scene.

It being winter, and her being so skinny, the natural thing to do was to make sure she had enough food. I was so excited! I wanted a cat and she came to me 

She ate all the food we left for her, but she remained very wary of humans. But slowly over the course of some months, she let us closer and even let us pet her... but then she disappeared for a few weeks.

Then one day, at the beginning of summer, I was out in the yard, reading a book, she returned, looking all skinny and exhausted. And from behind her popped out 4 tiny little kittens.

She left the little ones with me and retreated behind the barn to rest.

Now 4 months later, they've all been fixed and are sound asleep in front of our fireplace 
 We've installed a cat flap and they come and go as they please.

Oh yeah, and there's an additional kitten that showed up here a few weeks ago. We had her done too, and she's not only been taken in by us, but by our feral family as well

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
@ladonnafe that is a lovely story.  Thank you for sharing.

Badge awarded!

momofmaxwell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi i started trapping ferals over 12 yrs ago when I was at an auto wrecker here in BC Canada.I was there for parts not kitties.But one of the employees asked if I had seen the kittens.I have had cats all my life.37 yrs.Kittens I said and around the corner we walked to this old Mustang and there they were 4 -3wk old's waling underneath this old car.No Momma.I freaked & rushed home to get a couple of carriers food etc.When I got back they were still there.Two were orange tabbies another all blk & the other a tortie.The two orange ones after placing meat on a chinet plate I managed to grab & get them into a crate.The other two not.

I spent the next 3 weeks looking for them through rubble cars,broken glass,outbuildings, renting traps and then joined an organization called C.A.R.E.S in Langley BC.I finally spotted them(by fluke actually) way way from the original spot & had kitten traps that were really slick.I was so happy to have found them.They saw me and scattered under scrap steel.I filmed this whole thing as well with my camera.

Long story short within 15 minutes into the traps.no problem.Two boys & two girls.They were all spayed & neutered ,shots etc & were put up for adoption round 10 weeks of age.Then i had the bug & was told by another employee at the same auto wrecker want cats go up the street to the wood mill.They are everywhere apparently.They were.Behind them another steel mill who when I met the owner said i was like an Angel who walked into his office asking about feral cats.I told him I was no angel but was here to help if he had seen any.He said 12 adult cats froze last year & were found by the forklift driver.He contacted the spca & they never came.Not good.This company makes really long steel pipes that are stored out in the yard on pallets.Kittens were running through these 24 foot long pipes.

So now I have one colony at the wood mill of 30 who have all been spayed & neutered as well as my last catch my Maine Coon 29lber who is called one eye.I could see him with binoculars for the longest time with liquid running from his eye.He was constantly wiping it.But to trap he was the very last and carrying him well let's say i should have been Lucy in a movie.He went back & forth in the trap and the ground was slippery & well we both almost went for a ding! But i knew to hang on as i 'd never ge him again.I had left Cares by then and was doing it on my own.He had to have his eye removed but healed nicely & yes I do see him from afar.Big Guy!My vet gave me special pricing which helped & all the loves of my life I felt I needed to give back some of that love to those that are the throways from stupid people.The starving.the wounded.

So now I have one colony with one eye Joe is his name in 30.4 feeding stations there and an old caboose i refurbished & insulated with escape hatches etc,post,shelves,straw for the winter.And another colony of 38 at the steel mill where I have an out building as well with escapes etc & feeding stations.I use 5 Fosters who are my life for kittens & I also am very close to www.tinykittens.com where Laps is  located & they are trapping in a 25 acre parcel of land currently with over 200 feral cats.Super place.Super Lady Shelley!!! I feed in th am @ 6 to replenish their food & new water & take them toys,grow them grass as there's no grass for 20 miles there.Then return at midnight to refill.Normally I trap at night but with my health issues I haven't set a trap in over a month.I'm hoping to get stronger to be able to get back at it.But for now can only feed & water.My 8 traps sit here but my heart just is not strong enough yet.So that's it.I love ferals.I have seen alot of horrific things.I saved I think a few & love them all.Yes they all have names.They are a gift and I feel it's the least I can do for all the love my angle kitties have given me over 37 yrs .

Thank you Cindy Bradshaw.Sorry about the typing.I'm a mechanic by trade journeyman & not much of a typist I'm afraid.LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have helped ferals in the past and as recently as August this year but not on an ongoing basis at this time.  My tribute to Gracie on Crossing the Bridge whom I had PTS in July this year tells the story of her and her kittens when they were ferals in my neighborhood back in 2004.  I fed them and got them spayed and neutered.  Eventually, I had to take them all inside my house - all 6 - because the townhouse manager found out about it, did not approve of TNR even after I explained it to her, and dispatched Animal Control to trap and kill all of them.  They got at least 3 that I know of.

:'((

I've had my feral kitties for the past 11 years and they are my family.  It was hard won trust.  

I'm always on the lookout for boxes on the streets or in the medians because I know people dump kittens like that.  In August, just weeks after I lost my Gracie, I was at Walmart and saw a black kitten in the parking lot under the cart section.  I LOVE black kitties!!!  Me and another kind lady finally caught him.  I took him home for the night, set him up in a small bathroom with food and water and a little box and then the next morning to the Humane Society of Catawba County where I am a volunteer.  He was given the name Martin and was neutered a few weeks ago.  I have brought food and litter to the Humane Society at times too.  

Above is Martin's pic at the Humane Society August 2015, and then Gracie and her 6 kittens on my back porch May 2004.  

Last edited:

mani

Staff Member
Purraise

Hi i started trapping ferals over 12 yrs ago when I was at an auto wrecker here in BC Canada.I was there for parts not kitties.But one of the employees asked if I had seen the kittens.I have had cats all my life.37 yrs.Kittens I said and around the corner we walked to this old Mustang and there they were 4 -3wk old's waling underneath this old car.No Momma.I freaked & rushed home to get a couple of carriers food etc.When I got back they were still there.Two were orange tabbies another all blk & the other a tortie.The two orange ones after placing meat on a chinet plate I managed to grab & get them into a crate.The other two not.

I spent the next 3 weeks looking for them through rubble cars,broken glass,outbuildings, renting traps and then joined an organization called C.A.R.E.S in Langley BC.I finally spotted them(by fluke actually) way way from the original spot & had kitten traps that were really slick.I was so happy to have found them.They saw me and scattered under scrap steel.I filmed this whole thing as well with my camera.

Long story short within 15 minutes into the traps.no problem.Two boys & two girls.They were all spayed & neutered ,shots etc & were put up for adoption round 10 weeks of age.Then i had the bug & was told by another employee at the same auto wrecker want cats go up the street to the wood mill.They are everywhere apparently.They were.Behind them another steel mill who when I met the owner said i was like an Angel who walked into his office asking about feral cats.I told him I was no angel but was here to help if he had seen any.He said 12 adult cats froze last year & were found by the forklift driver.He contacted the spca & they never came.Not good.This company makes really long steel pipes that are stored out in the yard on pallets.Kittens were running through these 24 foot long pipes.

So now I have one colony at the wood mill of 30 who have all been spayed & neutered as well as my last catch my Maine Coon 29lber who is called one eye.I could see him with binoculars for the longest time with liquid running from his eye.He was constantly wiping it.But to trap he was the very last and carrying him well let's say i should have been Lucy in a movie.He went back & forth in the trap and the ground was slippery & well we both almost went for a ding! But i knew to hang on as i 'd never ge him again.I had left Cares by then and was doing it on my own.He had to have his eye removed but healed nicely & yes I do see him from afar.Big Guy!My vet gave me special pricing which helped & all the loves of my life I felt I needed to give back some of that love to those that are the throways from stupid people.The starving.the wounded.

So now I have one colony with one eye Joe is his name in 30.4 feeding stations there and an old caboose i refurbished & insulated with escape hatches etc,post,shelves,straw for the winter.And another colony of 38 at the steel mill where I have an out building as well with escapes etc & feeding stations.I use 5 Fosters who are my life for kittens & I also am very close to www.tinykittens.com where Laps is  located & they are trapping in a 25 acre parcel of land currently with over 200 feral cats.Super place.Super Lady Shelley!!! I feed in th am @ 6 to replenish their food & new water & take them toys,grow them grass as there's no grass for 20 miles there.Then return at midnight to refill.Normally I trap at night but with my health issues I haven't set a trap in over a month.I'm hoping to get stronger to be able to get back at it.But for now can only feed & water.My 8 traps sit here but my heart just is not strong enough yet.So that's it.I love ferals.I have seen alot of horrific things.I saved I think a few & love them all.Yes they all have names.They are a gift and I feel it's the least I can do for all the love my angle kitties have given me over 37 yrs .

Thank you Cindy Bradshaw.Sorry about the typing.I'm a mechanic by trade journeyman & not much of a typist I'm afraid.LOL
 @MomofMaxwell , the work you do with these ferals is just full of heart.    I'm hoping very much that your health strengthens more very day. 

Badge awarded, of course.