Friend Needs Advice About Traversing New York

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
A friend's sister in London has passed away. The only flight she can get from Australia to London is via New York and requires a stop-over. And it's St Patrick's Day.
She flies in to Newark and out of JFK and is looking for the best place to stay between the two that is a bit interesting and isn't in the way of major St Patrick's parades or whatever they do over there.
She hasn't been to NY before, although she does do a lot of travelling. I can tell she's pretty concerned about this, though.

Could anyone offer any advice? She leaves in a couple of days.

Last edited:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
If NYC and NJ are anything like Chicago, St. Patrick's Day is a huge deal. :clover: They die the river green here, have more than one parade and party hearty. Regarding a place to stay that is more subdued I would ask sivyaleah sivyaleah since she works in NYC but lives in NJ. My daughter went to grad school in NYC and I can check with her also.

ETA: just talked to my daughter, sending you pm

Last edited:

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We are a family of commuters- NJ to NYC. We take St. Patrick's Day off as a personal floating holiday because the ride into NY (yes they start partying in the am). I can't advise on where she should stay. Things do get drunken rowdy- it's a pretty jovial crowd but I wouldn't wear nice shoes especially if she needs to take mass transit. The train is especially bad.

Old sneakers- the kind of shoes you plan to throw out anyway is my advice. Sadly I can't advise more than that but this is not at all cheeky. I'm dead-serious about the shoes.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are a family of commuters- NJ to NYC. We take St. Patrick's Day off as a personal floating holiday because the ride into NY (yes they start partying in the am). I can't advise on where she should stay. Things do get drunken rowdy- it's a pretty jovial crowd but I wouldn't wear nice shoes especially if she needs to take mass transit. The train is especially bad.

Old sneakers- the kind of shoes you plan to throw out anyway is my advice. Sadly I can't advise more than that but this is not at all cheeky. I'm dead-serious about the shoes.
LOL LOL LOL
This is all so true. It's the worst commuting day of the year. NJT is just awful on a regular day but St. Patrick's Day is a special kind of hell. I'm also a long time commuter to the city from NJ - I share your pain!