Friend ailing cat, need advice

lfish63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Friends,
My neighbor says his indoor cat is ailing. He doesn't want to go to vet out of fear of being told to put the cat down. I told him he needs to go but he refuses. He says the cat made a jump a few days ago that didn't go well, or the cat fell wrong or something, I didn't quite get it all, and not right away, but a few days later and currently the cat is walking with a hunched back, and not walking well or easily. The cat is still eating normally, using the litter box, and NOT crying in pain when the area is touched. He said he even massaged it a bit. But he also says the area looks like its "drying up" (his words) like its just bones. Not sure if he means the muscle is wasting or what. Any ideas?

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Friends,
My neighbor says his indoor cat is ailing. He doesn't want to go to vet out of fear of being told to put the cat down. I told him he needs to go but he refuses. He says the cat made a jump a few days ago that didn't go well, or the cat fell wrong or something, I didn't quite get it all, and not right away, but a few days later and currently the cat is walking with a hunched back, and not walking well or easily. The cat is still eating normally, using the litter box, and NOT crying in pain when the area is touched. He said he even massaged it a bit. But he also says the area looks like its "drying up" (his words) like its just bones. Not sure if he means the muscle is wasting or what. Any ideas?
Please tell your neighbor that a vet can't "tell" an owner to do anything. They can definitely have suggestions and give some options but they can't order a cat to be euthanized if the owner refuses. I've had many pets into the vet over the years, and in some cases, euthanasia was an option presented. As long as the pet in question still had some life and the prognosis was not terrible, I didn't opt for it and not one vet ever gave me any grief over it. And if they did, I'd go elsewhere for a second opinion.
The cat could have taken an injury when he fell wrong and might need an X ray or something so the vet can see what's going and get something to help the cat feel better. But the longer he waits, the more complicated (and costly) the problem could become as well as pain and suffering for both him and the cat.
If your neighbor decides to take this cat to the vet, is there any way you could go with him or at least meet him at the vets office for some moral support?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lfish63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so kindly for your advice. I will pass on your message, however this man is very private and stubborn in certain ways. I don't think he would want me to go with him. I will try to keep encouraging him to seek professional help.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You might not have seen my message above, would he, for the sake of his cat, allow a vet visit at the house if you have that in your area?

What if you offer to take the cat for him? There's got to be some way to get this man to understand that if the situation is bad enough for him to fear the cat will be pts that leaving it in the current situation is tantamount to the worst abuse there is.

Is it money?

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – TheCatSite Articles