Fried Green Tomatoes

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best fried green tomatoes I've eaten were in Tennessee. There the stores sell a cornmeal mix with flour & seasonings that is specifically for green tomatoes and/or catfish. A restaurant called Uncle Bud's Catfish House had them as appetizers & they were great.
For a lighter variation of biscuits & gravy, you can substitute chicken broth, herbs & crushed red pepper for the milk (can be made without extra salt - the sausages have plenty) and thicken it up with cornstarch - I've made biscuits & gravy like that for many, many people who cringe at the thought of regular biscuits & gravy, which can be too rich, salty & too much black pepper (though I LOVE traditional B&G) for some tummies, with great results.
Yum, I LOVE serving and eating good food!

vespacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Ewww gravy on hot chips! Ew. Thanks for that description Chris!
Sam, I'm surprised you've never heard of it. It's awesome!
I like mayo on fries too, though I don't think that's specifically a Canadian thing.

ravin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband loves them. I have never tried the but I have made plenty for him. We use a thin beer batter on them. He says they are great I just can't bring myself to try them

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Personally sausage, white gravy and bikkies sounds too awful for my tummy to accept

I will just accept the british version of brown gravy on my dinner thank you
ditto! i can't stand the thought of white gravy and scone thingy's
i don't even eat bacon or eggs for breakfast, that would make me too sick, i only ever have cerial if anything at all, plus i'd feel way to guilty

i love good old brown gravy too

i also love vegemite toast for breakfast

as for green tomatoes

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vespacat

Sam, I'm surprised you've never heard of it. It's awesome!
I like mayo on fries too, though I don't think that's specifically a Canadian thing.
gravy on chips is awesome! makes the chips all soggy

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my co-workers cans green tomatoes like you would pickles. If you can them sliced (she adds a jalepeno pepper to each jar!) Pick a slice on your grilled hamburger. The have to be the soild green ones too-so she has a hard time with people wanting to sell her them.
The biscuits and gravy must be a more southern item as we never had it until very recently in wisconsin.
I like the familar brown gravy with my potatoes.

sunnicat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ironically, this recipe is in the new Good Housekeeping magazine:

Grilled Green Tomato Focaccia Sandwiches
1 large lemon
1/2 c light mayo
1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 lb green tomatoes (3 medium), cut int 1/2 inch thick slices
1/4 tsp salt
1 T olive oil
8 slices Canadian bacon
1 loaf focaccia bread, cut horizontally in half
1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat.
2. From lemon, grate 1 tsp peel and squeeze 2 T juice. In cup, combine lemon peel and juice, mayo and pepper.
3. Sprinkle tomato slices with salt; brush lightly with oil. Place tomatoes on hot grill rack and cook, uncovered, 6 to 7 minutes or until browned and slightly softened, turning slices over once. On same grill rack, cook Canadian bacon 2 minutes or until heated through, turning over once. Transfer tomatoes and bacon to platter. Place focaccia, cut sides down, on grill rack. Grill 3 to 4 minutes until lightly toasted.
4. Assemble sandwiches: Spread mayo mixture on cut sides of focaccia. On bottom half of focaccia, layer tomatoes, then Canadian bacon. replace top half of focaccia. Cut into 4 pieces to serve.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i just want to tell you what my mother used to make, nd i just thought about it and i love it!

My mother used to cut up carrots into sticks, boil them for a few minutes and then put them on an oven tray, sprinkle with salt and drizzle with olive oil, then cook for 30 minutes!

what i do, is cut them into sticks, bring them to boil, drain put them back in the pot add olive oil, salt and pepper, cook for 5 - 10 minutes and serve oh my god its soo yummy!