Frequent Vomiting - Cat at vet's now for tests

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my adult cat, Tallie in this morning to be checked out. She's been vomiting quite a bit lately, and last night, it was sort of clear, but looked blood tinged. Vet is doing x-rays, blood and urinalysis (blood and urine going to outside lab - will be back tomorrow).

Tallie is about six years old (estimate - she was a rescue). '

Does this sound like it could be a liver or kidney issue?

She is normally pretty independent, but has been clinging to me for a couple of weeks. I should have known something was wrong.

: (

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I do not know about your cat but mine did the projectile vomiting and extreme needy acting, and it was determined to be from a previous trauma and anxiety.  The other one had a bad case of hookworms and a type of tapeworm he could only have gotten from eating outdoor type stuff when he was feral.  So vomiting can be from a few things and some of them are not too serious to clear up and others are probably hard to get fixed.  I will hope that your cat has one of the easily fixed causes.  Our best thoughts come out to you and your dear cat.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that Tallie is not well. Vomiting could be from many things. A red tinge can indicate irritation in the GI tract, thus causing a little bit of blood in the vomit. When my Sebastian first had this, it was pancreatitis. I would definitely ask about that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snuggy's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, lab work is back. All organ function is "beautiful", so that's a relief. X-rays showed no abnormalities. Urinalysis was normal.
Vet's best guess is irritable bowel, food allergies, or possibly parasites. She wants to put her on a round of panacur and do a tapeworm injection (even though stool was normal).
I'm leaning toward changing her diet for a week or so before I do anything else.
Vet recommended Hill's prescription I/D or Z/D.
Thoughts?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Given that she is an adult and if she is an indoor cat my guess is IBD, especially with bloodwork coming back normal.

shoshanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The suggestion that your cat be dewormed even if the fecal exam was not conclusive is a good one.  My cats have both had episodes of not easily found parasites and treating everything else just wasn't doing it.  It took the rather extensive deworming to do the trick.  I hope your cat is better and will continue to improve.  I also have a cat that has trauma related vomiting from when he was a kitten and the vet said nothing but love and care would ever help it.