freezing chicken livers

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started out freezing them whole but got inconsistent weights batch to batch in the DIY.
I want to stick with an oz/lb of prepped food.
So I ran a pound thru the food processor and froze that in cubes
Getting them out of the cubes is a mess.
Anyone freezing processed liver have a method to do so that is less messy?

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I put the liver in snack sized Ziplock Baggies. If you leave the liver whole, they help keep your cat’s teeth clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
O has no teeth, so that's not an issue. That's why I grind for use with the DIY cook.
And he doesn't like raw, except hearts. Too bourgeoisie for him.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
O has no teeth, so that's not an issue. That's why I grind for use with the DIY cook.
And he doesn't like raw, except hearts. Too bourgeoisie for him.
I'm not sure I understand the problem, sorry! But I can say that if you're making cooked food, the important thing is to weigh the meat and liver before cooking. Maybe that's at the root of your question!

And what is a DIY in this case? :headscratch: Curious here!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Two ideas:

Set the tray in a shallow pool of water just long enough to very slightly melt the outside layer of liver. I’m talking seconds, not minutes. Turn the tray over and the cubes should fall out.

They make ice cube trays with rubbery cups so you can just push them from the bottom to pop out the frozen cube. I have these:

IMG_4903.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

metropical

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DIY do it yourself.
Have them soft trays that I'd thought would do it as I use them to portion the DIY for freezing.
Works great with the DIY, but the liver, nope.
Maybe next time I'll spray the tray with a teense of olive oil to aid in the slip.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back when I made food, I would weigh out the fresh liver into the correct weight for a batch, put it in a baggie, and make up as many of those baggies as I had liver. They would all go in the freezer in a larger quart or gallon bag. Then each time I needed to make a batch, I already had the correct weight prepackaged. I did the same with muscle meat and if I had any other organs. This way it was simply grabbing a bag of each and running each bag under cold water just long enough to liberate it from the bag. I have a manual grinder and I have found that I get the best grind when the ingredients are as close to frozen as I can work with. Anything warmer than that turns into pink slime that gums up the grinder rather than an even grind to use for food.