Freezer?

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been trying out different brands raw food for about 2 to 3 months and seems like my cats are ready to go 100% raw. They no longer like canned food that much, and demand and are excited about raw. Also, I'm tired of trying to figure out which additives are causing my cat's vomiting and to avoid thickeners and other ingredients, so I'd like to have more control over what goes into their food. Ground raw chubs with supplements and commercial raw blends look like good options for now. Maybe I'll try prey model some point in the future, but I'm not there yet, although one of my cats likes freeze dried turkey hearts as snacks. 

Now, I figured that my two cats eat about 20 lb+ a month and I also found a local store through which I can bulk order ground meat/bone/organ chubs for cheaper price, but we have a small fridge. I'm thinking about getting a freezer. Which freezer do you use and how big? Where do you place it? Is there any special requirement like power outlet? 

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a Danby 4.3 cubic feet. It is an upright . I wanted that because I want to be able to organize everything and could not see myself bending down into a chest style freezer. Several people do have chest freezers and do fine with them. I have plugged mine into my home office. Because I have a home business my entire garage is taken up with supplies and I have outlets out doors. We may run electrically to the back covered patio in the spring. I may not the freezer is so quiet and I put a big pillow on top so it gives the cats another perch. I love having that freezer. I kept trying to find one on Craigslist but didn't. I finally got impatient and bought it from the Home Depot. Cost ( with shipping) over $300. Today at Costco I saw the exact same freezer , except it is stainless steel ( mine is white). Costco is selling it for $125. Have to admit that got to me for a second.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I have a Danby 4.3 cubic feet. It is an upright . I wanted that because I want to be able to organize everything and could not see myself bending down into a chest style freezer. Several people do have chest freezers and do fine with them. I have plugged mine into my home office. Because I have a home business my entire garage is taken up with supplies and I have outlets out doors. We may run electrically to the back covered patio in the spring. I may not the freezer is so quiet and I put a big pillow on top so it gives the cats another perch. I love having that freezer. I kept trying to find one on Craigslist but didn't. I finally got impatient and bought it from the Home Depot. Cost ( with shipping) over $300. Today at Costco I saw the exact same freezer , except it is stainless steel ( mine is white). Costco is selling it for $125. Have to admit that got to me for a second.
I hate that feeling when I missed better deal.

But, thanks for the info. I'll check with Costco. Sometimes I feel like Costco is reading my mind, because when I need something, then Costco suddenly have it. Maybe I need a tin foil hat. 

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I hate that feeling when I missed better deal.

But, thanks for the info. I'll check with Costco. Sometimes I feel like Costco is reading my mind, because when I need something, then Costco suddenly have it. Maybe I need a tin foil hat. 

What??? you don't have a tin foil hat???? Lol- I have been wearing one for years.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

What??? you don't have a tin foil hat???? Lol- I have been wearing one for years.
May I ask where you got yours?  Ever since I saw one on ebay (for a cat to prevent FBI from reading the cat's mind to protect the owner's secret, and I think it was bid up to some ridiculous amount, like a half million or something) I wanted to get one for my cat. 

I went to Costco today and they had 7.0 cubic feet one for $180. Too bad that it's too big for my house. I saw that Sears is having a sale and Kenmore freezer (5.0 cubic feet) is $199 right now. Maybe I'll go and take a look. 

Last edited:

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh that's to bad. The Costco here has the 4.3 cubic feet freezer.

I got my freezer on-line at the home depot. I wish I had spent less but, I jus could not keep trying to find one on Craigslist. If you wanted a chest style freezer craigslist always has those. So many TCS members have them and they like those just fine.