Freeing the Kitten!

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What are some good guidelines to follow regarding introducing a kitten to the rest of the house? I'm planning on introducing her room by room, opening up more rooms as she adjusts...but not until she's more comfortable with me and is giving and accepting affection.

I got little Maple two weeks ago. She didn't receive enough attention in her former home so she has been very shy with me. Things have been progressing, though. She's letting me pet her and has even come over to me on her own for pets. She's bolder in playtime, and has been showing a lot of curiosity about what lies beyond the door to her room.

Last night, things were going especially well between us. It got to the point where I was having trouble keeping her in the room when I went in and out, so I allowed her to explore the living room a little bit. She was nervous, as expected, although she did play a little. FInally she grabbed (stole!) one of her want toys and ran back into her room with it.

Today things are not so good. She's hiding from me again, and I'm wondering if letting her out a bit was too soon and has made her nervous. Did I overstimulate her?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maple has since graduated to the living room for no other reason than her refusal to get locked up in the little bedroom.

It's becoming clear who's boss.