Free Palm Tree Seeds from California

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As some of you know, aside from being nutty about the kitties, I'm nutty about palm trees, too.

I have a half-acre garden in "the OC" in southern California, that's full of them.

It's apparent that quite a number of other Cat Siters also appreciate plants, and I offer, for no charge, seeds of Chamadorea radicalis, which is native to seasonally dry areas of Latin America. These things are something of a dream houseplant. First, they're small; they never get taller than about 7 feet (2.3 M?) at full maturity. They're also drought resistant; while not as xerophytic as cacti, they are nicely unthirsty. They will live their whole lives in a 7 gallon or even a 5 gallon pot (not sure how that translates to metrics). They're best in semi-shade, but will take a dark room for a while, and will also grow in full sun.

Below is a picture of some of my potted specimens, under the shade of another palm tree.

And, another great thing: THEY'RE NOT POISONOUS TO THE KITTIES! Hate to shout, but people always ask, reasonably.

So, if you want some seeds, send me a PM with "Palm seeds" in the subject, along with your mailing address. U.S. or "overseas" still free. I've sent these to all continents except Antarctica (so far).

If you have questions of a general nature, request you ask on the board, as I suspect others will have the same ones.

Thanks Mods for giving the go-ahead, and you're welcome to try some, too! I've got lots of seeds; these little palms make bunnies seem like monks or nuns by comparison.

Also, you might want to see if they're regulated as an invasive species where you are. I can state that this is not a problem in a place like the UK, Japan, Saudi Arabia, or any other country. I've even sent these to Russia, and the Ukraine. I drop them in an envelope and put the species name on the outside. As mentioned, I've sent tons (tonnes!) of these worldwide. Partake of the feast.

And, promise that if you have extra plants, you'll give or sell them to friends! Or enemies and make them friends . . . .

cham rads db garden.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here’s a picture of a plant a couple years from seed

It’s about 24” tall 60 cm
90B1E705-472B-4F27-9C00-08625B38B11C.jpeg

Last edited: