Veteran
Purraise
In my area, there's a Freecycle group and this was one of the ads this morning:

I have one white, one black and one black striped. They have been hand
raised along with the Mother and love people. They get along good with my
dog, and each other so they should do well with other cats when they get use
to each other. They need a loving home. Please open your heart to these
little guys. BTW...I think they are all male. They love to be held and loved
on (kisses too) so they need someone who will carry on this love.
I don't normally respond to these types of postings, but this one really got to me because of the age of the kittens! I emailed the poster and told her that 6 weeks of age was really too young for the kittens to be separated from their mom and that 12 weeks was the optimal time due to the socialization skills they still need to acquire from the mom cat. Since she thinks they are all males, it's obvious they haven't been to the vet, so I asked if they'd been to the vet to be sexed, tested for FIV/FLV, wormed, spayed/neutered. I also asked when the mom was scheduled to be spayed so that more unwanted kittens aren't born.

If I could, I'd take the mom and the babies, have them tested and altered, then find home for them, but that's really not a reasonable option. However, before coming to TCS, I wouldn't have even thought twice about this listing.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its good you do that, as to many its just not something they know to even think about. They have kittens, don't have room, and so try to find homes for em and the whole 'well how'd ya get kittens in the first place' and information about socialization and health testing needs a PSA.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh hun, trust me, the amount of irresponsible people giving away animals online makes me SO angry on a daily basis.

One that made me REALLY mad is an ad on there the other day giving away THREE SENIOR cats!
The excuse? "I have 5 kids and am too busy to give the cats the attention they deserve."

kittica

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know... I don't think many people are really malicious or that they treat their pets in a not-so-optimal-way (trying to avoid the word wrong here) because they intend to harm them. Automatically, I don't think their pets should be taken from them or anything of the sort.

Most people, actually, do it because they want to help them out and because they actually do like those animals. It's just sometimes that they don't know any better.

Education, but not in an aggressive and pushy way would do a lot better than lecturing, preaching, let alone threatening to take the animals away. I'm not saying that someone here does it, of course, just thinking out loud in general.

People often react the same when it comes to other people's kids, too.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the ad say they were six weeks? The text you quoted never mentioned an age.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This does infuriate me because they are being totally negligent with the future lives of these kittens. There are A TON of sicko's out there that scan ads like this for free kittens. It worries the heck out of me. Can you suggest they bring the kittens to a rescue instead?????

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ad did say they were 6 weeks and I was very polite and pleasant in my email. I haven't heard anything back. I doubt I will.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Oh hun, trust me, the amount of irresponsible people giving away animals online makes me SO angry on a daily basis.

One that made me REALLY mad is an ad on there the other day giving away THREE SENIOR cats!
The excuse? "I have 5 kids and am too busy to give the cats the attention they deserve."
OMG that really is maddening, I have 3 kids and I am too a busy mum but I had cats before I had kids and my kids have been brought up to respect our kitties and they are part of our family. Some people really infuriate me so much.x

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kittica

I don't know... I don't think many people are really malicious or that they treat their pets in a not-so-optimal-way (trying to avoid the word wrong here) because they intend to harm them. Automatically, I don't think their pets should be taken from them or anything of the sort.

Most people, actually, do it because they want to help them out and because they actually do like those animals. It's just sometimes that they don't know any better.

Education, but not in an aggressive and pushy way would do a lot better than lecturing, preaching, let alone threatening to take the animals away. I'm not saying that someone here does it, of course, just thinking out loud in general.

People often react the same when it comes to other people's kids, too.
I so agree with this! Esp. being from the country, its just kind of normal around here. We had many many many kittens when I was growing up. Most were stray cats that showed up or got dumped. We would always take them in, keep them until 6 or 7 weeks, and then give them away. We never knew anything about how long to keep them, and honestly I dont think we ever took them to the vet unless there was something wrong with them. But the animals we did keep went to the vet, got fixed, and were spoiled rotten.
Teaching someone anything about their pets needs to be done in a very specific way! If you make it seem like you are better than them, know more than them, or are trying to preach it to them, they will just turn the other way. And you know, maybe this momma cat just showed up at her house, she rescued it, plans on getting it fixed, and just needs the kittens gone but doesnt want to dump them. I dunno, I try to not be quick to judge someone based off of one ad on CL
And honestly its rather annoying when people send you messages like they know better on craigslist.... I was trying to find a monopod but wanted a higher quality pro style one but used. I had 3 people email me saying, "Just go to walmart" and one person even called me to say that. Granted these people did not know photography since I said I was looking for a pro one and the ones at walmart are only rated for 4-5lbs, dont have the foot stand, and most dont have the flat bottom. It was annoying and I just said screw it and deleted my ad.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

OMG that really is maddening, I have 3 kids and I am too a busy mum but I had cats before I had kids and my kids have been brought up to respect our kitties and they are part of our family. Some people really infuriate me so much.x
My thoughts exactly. I have two cats now with no wife or kids. Therefore, my cats are the most imortant people, fur or non, in my life. My future wife will have to compete against these cats (she won't be able to win) and my future kids will have to learn to respect them and treat them right, because the cats are here first and therefore I will consider them and their needs before making future decisions that will end up impacting them.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At this point I really just got so sick of it. I have 32 cats and really what more can I do. I started to reply to these people to find out many would qualify for a low cost program they probably never heard of. There may be a few who really don't have it but I believe for most there is a way its how you want to keep the priorities for the most part ime.

But if they are willing to care for the cat(or you know it may be left behind at some point how wrong is it to help them. I mean yeah its thier issue but in end who pays for it.

The ferals are so bad an issue here
I know we got more then a few at 6 weeks and to be honest I know it saved the kittens life in one instance the conditions there were VERY BAD He would not have been the sweet cat he grew up to be had he stayed there double what he had(no contact or if it was it was by the 10 yo who was very rough) and the dogs messed with the moms/kittens....leave it at that

Also I know felv fiv is an issue-tho our vet never said anything about testing besides bring a sample in for worms. I know at moment none have come + but no where near all were done-mostly if being euthed I would test to see if it changed-then again the vet charges 75 or so cause its a hw test to.

Nothing in life is perfect and I know where your coming from but at same point I would stay more focused on getting them fixed then a well visit 2 times with testing and then going in with 3 neuters and being 12 weeks if in your area the norm is young she will be stuck with all them. Anything helps so maybe next time if shes in situation again(hopefully a stray got dumped and this ones fixed by then) she may think to wait a tad longer.

Nothing still?
I would email an offer to find a low cost option to spay mom(I would do it if she will take mom back)..tho be prepared as may be others who need the same help at her place.
at bottom I would have a few local places that you know of or national ones that are taken at a local vet

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before the local rescue groups put a lot of pressure on the local Freecycle here, there were people that posted "free to a good home" ads on Freecycle. There were a lot of rescue people that monitored Freecycle and harassed the posters. Eventually, our local Freecycle banned all postings for animals.

I doubt you will hear back from this person. They are getting swamped with angry e-mails from a lot of rescue people right now.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NJ in parts just did away with no pets cause the same were always there. never heard it was cause of rescue or if ppl just went to easier venues(CL.com)

I keep an acct just for cl pets of emailing do you need help finding a low cost place i have USED a few before. want to keep it at thier level...