Free Hams and Turkeys

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Does your local grocery store offer free hams and turkeys for the holidays?

Our local Giant and Weis stores have been offering "free" entrees for Easter, Thanksgiving, and Christmas now for several years. Of course, it's not really "free" as you have to buy your groceries there to earn your certificate. For every 400 points (essentially spending $400), you get a free ham for Easter and Christmas and a free turkey for Thanksgiving. And they are nice meats.

We're picking up our spiral-sliced ham when we go for groceries this morning. We won't use it for Christmas, because we're planning on filled pork chops for our Christmas dinner, but it's a meal (several meals, actually) that we can certainly use.

Do your stores offer these?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Shoprite does the same thing. Option of a (frozen, I believe) lasagna for vegetarians. Also have the option of donating your free ham-or-turkey to the local food bank.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. Publix does not. They do have standing rib roasts on sale for $6.99/lb which is a great deal. I bought a small one over the weekend and cut it into 2 nice steaks. If they are on sale this week too I will try to get another one. We'll have plenty of steak in the freezer.

Bone in ribeyes are $12.99/lb. No thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I do think we can choose a lasagna here, too. Our Giant store had a special digital coupon this week for standing rib roast at $4.76/pound. We picked up a nice 5-rib rib roast this morning for my birthday in January. All I have to do then is run into the butcher for a bit of suet to make the Yorkshire pudding.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Went to Shoprite today. They had rib roasts at $12.99 / pound. Wait, wait! It gets better and better. With shopper's membership, with digital coupon it drops to - you ready for this? - down to $4.99 / pound.

So I got a nice roast and had them cut it into one roast and two thick steaks.

But my real indulgence was a fresh whole duck. Had them cut the leg quarters off the carcass, cut the breasts off the bone, and re-wrap everything. I'll make stock from the carcass, poach the leg quarters, dice the meat and roll in phyllo together with diced mushrooms for a strudel. Or I could make a sort of cassoulet. We'll see. Render the duck fat, it is so good. And then there's the liver, also excellent.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kroger offers turkeys at a very low price which are great if you donate to shelters. I like the cost savings and being able to share for the holidays, we generally buy 10 and take them up to a food bank for donation. Nice to think of more folks having a nice Holiday Dinner.