Freaout out a little

mommyto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A week ago, I lost one of my babies to effusive FIP.  It was about a week long battle, but as you all know, there is nothing that can be done once it starts.  The doc thought it was pancreatitis up until close to the end.  But the fluid accumulation in the belly just was too big of a red flag to miss.  He was only 11 months old.

Anyway, I have two other boys at home.  Our kitten (about 3 months) and our silver tabby (almost 2).  I'm guessing the kitten might have been the carrier that bought FIP into the house, although he has never exhibited a symptom in front of us.  The kitty we lost got sick about 3 weeks after the kitten came home.  The kitten is under regular vet care - he has been in for shots every 2 weeks or so since we got him.

Fast forward to today, my silver tabby just threw up a large amount.  He seriously has maybe thrown up one other time in his life - this is not normal for him.  He has also had some upper respiratory issues - doc was having us watch him, didn't think he needed to come in (we were there yesterday for kitten shots).  Now, I'm freaking out.  I don't want to lose another kitty! 

I'm going to call the vet - and start watching his litter box, food intake, mood.  Is there anything the vet can do early to knock out a possible case of FIP? 

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am SO sorry you lost your kitty to FIP. How horrible and sad. (((hugs)))

I have 2 kitties who are elderly and on the mend after I missed the signs of pancreatitis. As a result, I am wayyy hyper sensitive to every little thing going on---and I am sure you are the same.

Don't ignore your instincts, and call your vet to see what you should look for---but likely your silver tabby just had a furball, or he could be depressed missing his buddy. Key signs for any sick kitty would be not eating or drinking.

I really, really feel for you. I hope he improves and it was just a furball.