Freaking out vs "this is normal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she's still favoring it a bit, but she is walking on it, albeit a bit slower than normal. I'm ok with that! I also watched her get into the litter box, and didn't watch her get out, but saw her walk into the kitchen for some water. I had tried to put a smaller bowl of water by her last night, but Oscar was quite intent on flipping it over for some reason :hmm:

The vet also told me to make sure she eats. Well, I noticed yesterday she has quite the voracious appetite! I had given her the second half of a can of tuna stew k/d yesterday. She likes it but she normally never finishes it. She ATTACKED that thing. Then last night, gave her some of the "community" food (brought it to her in the bathroom) and she just ate all of it! I was truly amazed. This is my CKD cat that takes an hour to eat a tiny bit of food.

I wonder if the Adequan shot she got yesterday has to do with that? That's the pain med he put her on (this was actually before the limping).

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
:sigh: Saw some blood drops on the little thing I have on the floor for Sara (that she doesn't use) to lay on in the bathroom. Two little drops, and some non-bloody wetness in other spots around it. Plus the back of her tail felt like it was wet and dried with some yucky stuff. She definitely has the cystitis acting up again. Dangit. I guess if she's gonna do it somewhere though I'd rather it be there than, say, my bed.

I am glad Sara is getting better. How is your hoser doing (Maple)?
Hoser? Interesting, I have a friend that goes by that name. Is that another Canadian thing? And no, this friend isn't Canadian, lol.

Maple is doing well. She's definitely using the litter box a lot more. She's been having some constipation issues we think, and some gas, so been giving her pumpkin the last couple of nights. I did find one stray poop in the hallway but so far nothing other than that. There hasn't been pee on the towel in days now. Crossing my fingers it stays that way.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Sarah I hope you can get the cystitis under control. I am glad that Maple is feeling better. 
I think it got a little irritated the other day at the vet, he was feeling her bladder which was pretty full. They brought in a litter box for her which she promptly used. It was bloody then. She has had cherry koolaid for pee all year.

She's busy owning the place right now, since the others are all locked up in my bedroom.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Sara has been kinda eating a little bit less and less all week long. She ate nothing yesterday, so thought I'd try a non-refridgerated fresh can of the tuna stew k/d. She eat about half of what I gave her (I gave her about a third of the can). Then threw it up about 45 minutes later. Also threw up the Temptations I'd given her after she got her meds, so she may have puked up the meds too, not sure. Gave her some of the regular pate k/d this morning, didn't eat any of it. Tried to give her some Sheba, she licked at it a bit, then walked away from it. She has no interest in her treats (ie her meds) either.

So, we have a 3:30 appt at the vet today :sigh: Glad I got my bonus this week.

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor baby.  I hope she feels better!    Good vibes your way!!

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Trying not to freak out but it's really hard. I want nothing more than for her to feel well. She's had a rough life (for various reasons), and every time things seem to be getting normal for her, something happens. At least she seems in good spirits, and still growls at the kittens.

sweetdz99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know.  I always feel so helpless when my kitties don't feel well or have something that makes me worry.   I just want them to live the life of a king! :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sara has been kinda eating a little bit less and less all week long. She ate nothing yesterday, so thought I'd try a non-refridgerated fresh can of the tuna stew k/d. She eat about half of what I gave her (I gave her about a third of the can). Then threw it up about 45 minutes later. Also threw up the Temptations I'd given her after she got her meds, so she may have puked up the meds too, not sure. Gave her some of the regular pate k/d this morning, didn't eat any of it. Tried to give her some Sheba, she licked at it a bit, then walked away from it. She has no interest in her treats (ie her meds) either.

So, we have a 3:30 appt at the vet today
Glad I got my bonus this week.
Oh dear
.  I truly hope it's nothing serious.  Could this be a side effect of the meds?  She's on something for the cystitis, right?   Or maybe she's just having an "off" couple of days.  Callie had them every once in awhile, then she'd start eating like a champ again. 

Keep us posted.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
No meds for the cystitis right now. She had a really good stretch (no peeing bloody pee outside the litter box for about six months!). Then she suddenly had a LOT and it was very... bloody. She has perpetually bloody pee when they do the urinalysis but for the most part, that aspect doesn't bother her. Just occasionally.

I'm hoping it's a one-off. Have gone through bouts of inappetance quite a bit with her over the last year. The first one was the absolute worst, lost 10 oz she couldn't afford to lose at the time.

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Sara Bear was so unhappy! :( She had so much done today it feels like. They did a regular exam, everything seemed normal. The one tech noticed her breathing "tough" as the vet put it, and she was in the back too when they took her to do the cysto and draw the blood, so asked if they could do some x-rays. She has a LOT of gas in her stomach and intestines from the looks of it, and is having a radiologist looking at it (thank goodness for the one free thing). He said when cats breathe heavily it can cause them to swallow air a lot.

Her heart and lungs looked mostly normal. Also part of the reason he wants the radiologist to look at it. The heart actually looks smaller than normal in the one shot. He said something about the bronchial tubes that can display in older cats (I can't remember exactly now, my head was hurting so bad by that point). They gave her a shot of Cerenia and some fluids, and putting her on mirt for right now. We were going to do cyproheptadine, since I have some left over (most of it actually) from when Lucky was taking it, but he wants to make sure her heart is doing ok. I guess that can make it worse. So mirt for now. Told me to give it to her in a couple of hours to let the Cerenia kick in and to let her calm down. He's gonna call tomorrow to see how she's doing.

Just slightly overwhelmed at the moment.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So...nothing really definitive yet?  I HATE waiting

Has she had mirtazipine before?  It worked pretty well for Callie.  She would get ravenous shortly after her dosing, but she got hers transdermally.

Hopefully the mirt and the Cerenia will do the trick and she'll start eating again.  AND that her heart is okay.

Continued vibes

donutte

Top Cat
Purraise
So...nothing really definitive yet?  I HATE waiting :sigh:

Has she had mirtazipine before?  It worked pretty well for Callie.  She would get ravenous shortly after her dosing, but she got hers transdermally.

Hopefully the mirt and the Cerenia will do the trick and she'll start eating again.  AND that her heart is okay.

Continued vibes :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
It frustrated the vet too, not being able to find anything definitive. I gave her the mirt in pill paste that she thankfully ate. That was about 45 minutes ago. Offered her food about 15 minutes ago, but she wasn't at all interested. It took two days to kick in the last time she had it so hoping it doesn't take that long. I may have to resort to assisted feeding otherwise. The only food she's had today was the pill paste the mirt was wrapped in, so will try again tonight. I meant to ask if they could give me a can of a/d in case I had to assist feed, shoot. I guess I can try with the k/d if it comes to that.

Trying to get into battle mode, but all I want to do is cry :(

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
It frustrated the vet too, not being able to find anything definitive. I gave her the mirt in pill paste that she thankfully ate. That was about 45 minutes ago. Offered her food about 15 minutes ago, but she wasn't at all interested. It took two days to kick in the last time she had it so hoping it doesn't take that long. I may have to resort to assisted feeding otherwise. The only food she's had today was the pill paste the mirt was wrapped in, so will try again tonight. I meant to ask if they could give me a can of a/d in case I had to assist feed, shoot. I guess I can try with the k/d if it comes to that.

Trying to get into battle mode, but all I want to do is cry
I am sorry I haven't kept up with this. I seen your post about a sick cat on the election thread. Just hugs to both you and little Sara. I hope you get some answers soon.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no, poor Sara I hope that the vet can figure out what is going on. I pray that it isn't anything serious. 

Last edited:

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope the mirt kicks in soon and I hope Sara is ok! Sounds very frustrating :(

Status
Not open for further replies.