Freaking Out/Lump after Vaccine (long, sorry)

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SiameseStacey

He takes one look at us and goes tearing through the house the other way and hides. I don't understand it? Nothing has happened. No strange people have visited. He didn't get into a fight with anyone else in the house. He's not afraid of the other cats. He's just a paranoid, scared, mess.

Could this be vaccine related? There's nothing else that I can think of. It's so disturbing to me because we had so much fun with him on a daily basis. I'm worried he'll never come back to us. Uhh, this is awful.
I would have his thyroid tested. Increased activity level and change in normal activity level is a common first sign of hyperthyroidism in cats.

petstorejunkie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We all manifest things differently. working at a veterinary office will show you cat after cat, they all process that stress differently. I wouldnt necessarily assume his skittish behavior to be a vaccine reaction, but if you are able to get a hold of him and feel him over, if he has any lumps, this could be his way of protecting himself while he feels injured.
Hyperthyroidism is more common in cats than any other species I know of. Before blowing money on thyroid panels, you may want to do some more research on the subject and see if he is showing more symptoms than just behavior. A wonderful resourse (if you can read thru the medical terminology) is www.ivis.org Its a database of tons and tons of veterinary written articles, research results, transcriptions from vet conventions.... you'll have to set up an account, which is free, but it really helps give peice of mind to have that education at your fingertips.
Even if you dont find any other links in symptoms, if you are still concerned, calling your vet is free. Many times a 5 minute conversation about what is going on with your pet can give you peace of mind, or reason to go back in and get things treated.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the last 3 years or so we have only been using the Purevax shot for our cats. We live (and have lived previously) in areas that require the Rabies shot.

I will tell you, that with the Purevax shot my cats did not experience the "down" time they always did with the IMRAB Rabies shots. They would be lethargic, etc for a day or so. With the Purevax shot, it's like nothing happened. I wish it was approved for 3 years, and that I had known about it earlier. But it is still the only rabies vax I will use for my cats now. Finding vets who carry it is the challenge. Raven
and Nabu have histories of reacting to shots, and have no problems with the Purevax shot.

lovemahkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realize this is a year old thread, but I'm wondering how things turned out with your kitty, Siamese Stacey? I'm going through the EXACT same thing now with my 2 year old cat... it's been one month since the vaccine, and the lump persists. We have a vet appointment tomorrow, but the anxiety over this is killing me.