Freaked Out About Bloated Dented Can

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I ordered a case of Royal Canin Mamma and Baby cat food and have been using it but the can I grabbed today was bulging, seemed filled with air and it made a popping sound as I held it. I only saw some slight denting at the rim and the area around the seal seemed to be broken and leaking.
This is an expensive food and came from a case so I'm pretty peeved. I feed this to the nursing feral and her 5 kittens! Luckily this can was so noticeably bad that I wrapped it securely and it went out in the trash.

I always check my cats' food cans for dents. If I find any that are badly dented I throw it all out. I don't take chances with them, not even the ferals in the colony. But this is really upsetting because technically I shouldn't have even handled the can without gloves!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, I wouldn't get too freaked out about it spreading bacteria around. I'm guessing you washed your hands well after getting the "juices" on you. IAnd I'm glad you didn't feed it . Did call whoever you purchased it from and let them know about it (for a refund), AND let Royal Canin know about it so they can check their Quality Control process?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a bulging can that hissed when it was opened and sprayed contents, and the texture was soupy - so I contacted customer service.
They told me to throw the whole case out if I felt unsafe about it, and I gave them the information from the bottom of the can about the batch, and they sent me a replacement voucher.
This was from Nature's Variety.

yeva2292

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Generally speaking, you never want to open any can or jar with a bulging/bloated lid. Just the other day, I found a Koha can with a bulging and leaking lid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I did wash my hands and then I used gloves to handle the others. I am pretty cautious about canned food. I threw the rest of the case out because a few of the cans looked like the seam was leaking dark stuff a few more were bloated and dented at the rim but some of the ones had no dents with stuff seeping from the seams. I don't have a batch number because I tossed them all quickly. I'm growing increasingly unhappy with canned food because I find a lot of cases that have some perfectly good cans and some badly dented ones. It's not any one brand either. I think it's the warehouses that pack these items that are not handling the cans reasonably gently.