Franny has gum disease :(

niki_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took our new kitty, Franny, to the vet for her check up and her gums were very inflamed and bleeding
She got an antibiotic injection and will go in for cleaning in a couple weeks. Hopefully she won't have to have any teeth removed, but I'm not holding my breath for that.

The previous owner didn't forward any veterinary info with her so I don't know if she has been treated for this or not, but I'm thinking she hasn't, especially since she had told me that she had no health problems. I will be trying to contact her to see if she has any info at all from her vet (if she even had one). I feel bad now that I waited 2 weeks to take her to the vet, especially if she is in pain.

I will be searching the forum for info on other kitties with dental problems, but would appreciate any advice on what I may expect down the road. I'm waiting for an estimate from my vet for the cleaning, haven't had to have my kitties teeth cleaned yet (they are all very young). Luckily if she does need any extractions that will be covered by insurance.

Thanks in advance, and please, send

~Niki

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad, it's the previous owner's fault and not yours. You are being a good mewmy just for worrying about her so much.
I don't know much about dental, but I do know it can really vary in price from $200 up to $500+.

Vibes for Franny!

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went through something similar with my Franny, on the right above
She never showed any signs that there was anything wrong her mouth. She ate dry food, played enthusiastically with mice on string toys etc. I took her for a regular check up and the vet said that her teeth were so bad that she should go see a vet dentist! She ended up having 9 teeth pulled, the result of something called resorption. She came through with flying colors and is back to eating dry food, playing enthusiastically with mice on string toys

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen a large range of prices so it depends on the area. Alice had a dental this past February with 5 extractions and if I remember right it was around $800.00. That was during pet dental health month so I got half off the dental and I think also the extractions. Because of the extractions she came home with 4 doses of pain medicine which was very expensive and an antibiotic. She did fine and was even eating dry kibble that night. I put canned food out for her but she wanted her kibble.

kylew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Franny's 9 tooth extraction cost $1,600, but I live in NYC. Why pay less!?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

niki_d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info guys! I was able to contact her previous owner, and they had never taken her to the vet in the 3 years since they adopted her. She is only 3-4 years old and very happy and active. I know my insurance won't cover the cleaning, but hopefully it will cover any extractions. I need to call them and ask about it

wasabibenny3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Benny is about 3 and when we got him front the shelter a year ago I knew right away there was a problem. He would start to eat crunchies and either walk away after a few or pick one up and immediately spit it out. He was skinny when we adopted him so I took him to the vet expecting the worst. He is a total lover boy though so I knew I adopted a sweetie. The vet said his teeth were rotting AT TWO YEARS OLD! She said surgery the following week would be best because it was so severe and causing him to shy away from food. The vet gave him an antibiotic shot, pain Meds and scheduled surgery.

I am happy to report that He had surgery in January to have ALL this teeth removed and he's doing great. It was a really hard few days for his post-op but as soon as the swelling went down he was great!! He is pain free now!! He gets wet food for all his meals but I do see him sneak some of his brothers crunchies so he is capable of eating hard food.

Good luck to all the other kitties that have bad teeth/gums.. The surgery saved my little mans life :rbheart: