Fractured fibula and pin question!

Carrythebanner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my kitten had to go vets yesterday as he was limping and turns out he had somehow fractured his fibula. They performed surgery and put a pin in and closed it up and all looks good. They said they’ll see in two weeks at the check up if they’ll be removing the pin or not.
My question is - is the pin removal actually necessary? So far I’ve paid £735 and I’m not against paying whatever needs to be paid but I’m concerned they’ll charge me another £500 (surgery part of the cost) to remove it and that’s a lot of money if it’s not essential or necessary. It was a clean break.
(yes I understand about insurance and unfortunately it had lapsed within the last few weeks and I didn’t realise - all my animals are insured, this was literally an unfortunate timing).

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That would depend on the pin they use, the break, and all of that. Not removing the pin could cause all kinds of problems. If your insurance covered the surgery to remove the pin when it take effect again then it's possible it would be safe to postpone the removal surgery til that point, but I wouldn't just leave the pin in as I don't think they're meant to be left in long term as in years.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Your baby is lucky that you were able to take such good care of him in this emergency, insurance or not. Even in humans, pin removal is determined by the surgeon. There are criteria as to placement, for one thing, and usually this was determined before the surgery or at the time of, so it might be a done deal. I can't think of any cases where it was left up to the patient. Having said that, I know of cases where they were removed and where they were left forever. Removal procedure is determined, again, but the manner in which the pins were placed. Sometimes it is an office procedure with sedation and sometimes it is an OR procedure.

This is my question though.....pin removal is not included in the price of the surgery, especially if it is necessary to remove them? I can't see a doctor or vet saying something like "you will need to have more money to get these pins out even though it is medically necessary that they be removed". Isn't this surgery follow up?

Did you talk to the insurance company? Unfortunately, for most American pet insurance ( I think you are out of the US), the break which happened during the lapse would probably become a pre existing condition and not covered, but it might be worth asking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carrythebanner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Your baby is lucky that you were able to take such good care of him in this emergency, insurance or not. Even in humans, pin removal is determined by the surgeon. There are criteria as to placement, for one thing, and usually this was determined before the surgery or at the time of, so it might be a done deal. I can't think of any cases where it was left up to the patient. Having said that, I know of cases where they were removed and where they were left forever. Removal procedure is determined, again, but the manner in which the pins were placed. Sometimes it is an office procedure with sedation and sometimes it is an OR procedure.

This is my question though.....pin removal is not included in the price of the surgery, especially if it is necessary to remove them? I can't see a doctor or vet saying something like "you will need to have more money to get these pins out even though it is medically necessary that they be removed". Isn't this surgery follow up?

Did you talk to the insurance company? Unfortunately, for most American pet insurance ( I think you are out of the US), the break which happened during the lapse would probably become a pre existing condition and not covered, but it might be worth asking.
thank you for your reply! I haven’t spoken to the insurance yet but I assume it won’t be covered as it’ll be deemed a pre existing condition but can’t hurt to check. Like I say if he needs it I won’t deny it! That’s what credit cards are for at the end of the day. And like you say i was a little confused as to whether it would be considered essential follow up or not. He is due back in two weeks so I guess I’ll have my answers then! It’s a sickening amount of money but hey he’s a baby and he needs it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carrythebanner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That would depend on the pin they use, the break, and all of that. Not removing the pin could cause all kinds of problems. If your insurance covered the surgery to remove the pin when it take effect again then it's possible it would be safe to postpone the removal surgery til that point, but I wouldn't just leave the pin in as I don't think they're meant to be left in long term as in years.
I see - that makes sense. I guess I’m just curious to how often they do leave it in. I guess it could also be an easy reach pin for quick removal but I won’t know till his check up in two weeks.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the pin removal is necessary. You do not know how much is extending past the edge of the bone.. There is a chance of infection, or even having the pin pushing though the skin, if left in....

Removal is best for all.. I think it may be included in the price of the original surgery. If you have insurance, it should cover this..

Thank you for taking such good care of this little one...

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I see - that makes sense. I guess I’m just curious to how often they do leave it in. I guess it could also be an easy reach pin for quick removal but I won’t know till his check up in two weeks.
True. If it where me in your position and this was really bothering me I would call where he had it done and ask so I would know.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Sadly, most vet costs today are horrendous. The more I think about this though, it just seems as if it has to be included. I might even push the vet as to why it is not included if he says it is not.