Four-month old persian princess steps on her poop a lot--Frustrated and Desperate mom needs help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

klnyc07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Furminators aren't great for longhaired cats---they cut the fur, and really only skim the surface. You need a good metal comb. She still has her kitten fur now, so it probably won't mat for awhile. But you still need to comb her every day so she gets used to it. Lots of treats, no pulling on tangles, etc.---make it as enjoyable as possible.

Same with brushing her teeth. . .it might not do any good to brush baby teeth that are just going to fall out, but she needs to get used to it.

Kittens should be fed as much as they want. Leaving dry food available all the time and giving canned food 2-3 times a day is good at her age. Around a year old you'll want to restrict her intake so she doesn't get fat,but for now she needs all the calories she can get.

Treats. . .aren't really necessary, and the ingredients are usually crummy. Small bits of meat or cheese would be OK, if you want to give store-bought treats you can find freeze-dried meat treats, usually chicken or liver. Sometimes they're in the dog section, but as long as the only ingredient is freeze-dried meat that's the right stuff.
YIKES! Thanks! That's probably why I get a lot every time thinking she has a lot of loose hair, not realizing it's actually cutting her fur. 

I'll start brushing her teeth just so she could get used to it. I'll do it gradually. 

That's why I do. I feed her canned food in the morning and when I get home for dinner, and have a bowl of dry food available while she's alone. 

Restrict what? Dry or wet? I think a fair amount of both would be good --- as both has its advantages (?)

Aha. Ok. Yeah, she doesn't like that Temptations treat. Is this kind you're talking about? http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Halo-Liv-A-Littles-Freeze-Dried-Meat-Treats/115011.aspx

klnyc07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol it's ok --- I figured it out :)

***** about your comment about treats, I mean.

Last edited:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, my opinion on treats is that it can be a good training tool or "reward".  I give mine treats every so often.  They know the word, so I can't say it out loud without getting them hysterical and crazed!   Think of treats like candy for a kid... OK once in awhile but not something that needs to be given in excess. 

klnyc07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She-is-not-a-Persian-and-she-is-not-a-doll-face-Persian,the-head-is-wrong,even-the-doll-face-Persian,has-the-wider-head,like-the-Persian,lol.

No-pet-shop,is-going-to-have-a-registered-Persian.

If-you-didn't-pay-alot,of-money-for-her-and-you-weren't-given-registration-papers,she-is-just-a-domestic-LH-kitten,which-is-what-she-looks-like,lol,and-the-pet-shop-called-her-a-Persian,to-sell-her.Even-the-coat-is-wrong,for-a-Persian,doll-face-or-not.Either-way,it-doesn't-matter,lol,your-not-looking-to-show-her.

I-can-put-you-in-touch-with-several-Persian-breeders,in-the-New-York-state-area,I-got-contacts-all-over,if-you-are-interested.

Kittens-have-very-sensative-little-systems,constant-changing-of-food,with-give-them-diarea-or-soft-stools.They-should-also-be-on-kitten-food,not-adult-food,that-will-upset-their-little-systems-too.

Feeding-a-kitten-food-with-grains-and-by-products-and-glutens,will-also-give-them-upset-tummies.Royal-Canin,is-full-of-them.

I-feed-Blue-Wilderness,its-by-Blue-Buffalo.

I-highly-recommend,you-do-not-go-back-to-the-vet,that-was-recommended,by-the-pet-store,about-a-zillion-reason-why,which-I-don't-have-time-to-type.

I-can-find-you-a-vet,a-good-vet-in-the-NYC-area,I-got-contacts-all-over,lol,if-you-want.

She-should-be-taken-to-a-good-vet,given-an-x-ray,it-will-most-likely-show,she-has-intestional-upset,and-put-on-Metronidazole,then-put-on-one-good-quality,grain-free,by-product-free,gluten-free-kitten-food.

Make-sure-she-has-a-large-and-deep-cat-box,and-not-a-hooded-one,that-is-bedded-deep,with-scoopable-litter,I-use-Cats-Pride,in-the-jug.

You-will-need-to-teach-her-to-be-combed-every-day,that-will-eliminate-matts-that-LH-kitties-get,and-if-you-get-her-on-a-good-quality-kitten-food,that-will-eliminate,the-messy-feet-and-messy-bee-hind.

Mine-are-show-kittens,they-cannot-have-matts,they-cannot-have-messy-bee-hinds,and-they-cannot-have-a-shaved-bee-hind,lol.Its-just-learning-how-to-groom-a-LH-kitten,lol.

Sorry-you-are-going-thru-all-this,but-she-sure-is-a-cute-little-kitten,and-glad-you-and-your-bf-got-her,you-rescued-her.((((((((BIG-HUGS))))))))

Here-is-a-good-site-to-read.

http://catinfo.org/

CFA-Persians.

http://www.cfainc.org/client/breedPersian.aspx

CFA-Persian-breeders.

http://www.persianbc.org/
Uhmmmm we actually have her registration papers mailed to us by the breeder, not by the pet shop. Which was exactly the pet shop told us when we got her; that we'd get her registration papers in the mail. And we did receive it three weeks ago. But I really don't care, not really a big deal, and it doesn't really matter -- we love her whatever breed she is. 

My BF did pay quite a lot for her. She is more than 1k, let's just put it that way. Ad we did get papers; even certification papers that both the shop and the breeders are reputable. So...whatever. I don't know 

As I've mentioned above, we had to go through this change of food because I wanted her to eat some canned, as she as been eating way too lot dry. But for now I'll settle with Innova for her canned and Royal Canin Kitten 36 for her dry. I will ask the vet (a new vet) this Saturday after her check up what's best for her. Too many recommendations yet every one of them is of course different.

And no, we do not give her adult cat food. 

She has a vet visit this Saturday and that should take care of her and x-ray and find out if she has gastrointestinal issues. And yes, I will not go back to the vet the shop is affiliated with, I've had not-so-good feelings about it being a complimentary visit even before. 

She has a jumbo litter that's deep and pretty wide... hooded though; because digs madly. No flap but hooded, and it's high and transparent. So it's not as suffocating as other hooded box. 

Do you mind sending me, via PM, your vet contacts and where (the clinic) they practice? 

Thanks for all these. Super help!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry people are focusing on something that isn't really the point... Whether you think she is a Persian or not is not the issue.  The OP did not ask for your opinion on that.  She asked for help with a stepping in poo issue and other things.  I think we need to focus on that.  Besides, it's just one picture you're all basing it off of.  And Persians and doll faced Persians (the same breed BTW) come in a variety of head and facial measurings.  No she is not breeding or show quality but she does have Persian blood in her.  I ask, does it really even matter?  Who cares? We can argue this all we want but it is not the OP's question or concern.... Save it for the breeding forums, I say, and stick to the topic and questions please. 

klnyc07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually, my opinion on treats is that it can be a good training tool or "reward".  I give mine treats every so often.  They know the word, so I can't say it out loud without getting them hysterical and crazed!   Think of treats like candy for a kid... OK once in awhile but not something that needs to be given in excess. 
I try not to give too much too, she hates it anyway lol, but I get really desperate and frustrated when rinsing her. Even wipe. It gets really exhausting. 

My boyfriend says she'll sure grow out of it and will learn. I really hope so. 

She doesn't intentionally steps on her poop (just to be very clear on that); she just doesn't get it right and a paw (or paws) will touch it when she turns to smell and get ready to cover. 

I just don't know what to do. Hopefully her stool firms up soon. It's very soft. Not runny (sometimes is though) but not firm either. And I really look forward to her vet visit in Sat.

Do cats stool really should be hard/firmed? That if they accidentally "bump" into it it would just move but would not get on to her paws????

klnyc07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry people are focusing on something that isn't really the point... Whether you think she is a Persian or not is not the issue.  The OP did not ask for your opinion on that.  She asked for help with a stepping in poo issue and other things.  I think we need to focus on that.  Besides, it's just one picture you're all basing it off of.  And Persians and doll faced Persians (the same breed BTW) come in a variety of head and facial measurings.  No she is not breeding or show quality but she does have Persian blood in her.  I ask, does it really even matter?  Who cares? We can argue this all we want but it is not the OP's question or concern.... Save it for the breeding forums, I say, and stick to the topic and questions please. 
 thank you. It's ok. Her features are quite noticeable, so I understand the comments about her looks. I added more photos so she could at least showcase her best photo angles lol

But yes, I came here to ask for help from all of you who already have years of experience. And all suggestions and comments about food, litter, diet, and possible health issues are very much appreciated. 

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try not to give too much too, she hates it anyway lol, but I get really desperate and frustrated when rinsing her. Even wipe. It gets really exhausting. 

My boyfriend says she'll sure grow out of it and will learn. I really hope so. 

She doesn't intentionally steps on her poop (just to be very clear on that); she just doesn't get it right and a paw (or paws) will touch it when she turns to smell and get ready to cover. 

I just don't know what to do. Hopefully her stool firms up soon. It's very soft. Not runny (sometimes is though) but not firm either. And I really look forward to her vet visit in Sat.

Do cats stool really should be hard/firmed? That if they accidentally "bump" into it it would just move but would not get on to her paws????
To answer your last question, when I am scooping the litter and a piece gets pushed against the side of the litterbox it gets a dent (the poop, lol) but doesn't smoosh onto the scoop. It resembles a Tootsie roll candy if you know what they are. What has become of my life? I am comparing cat poop to look-a-like candy. Anyway,  I hope this is a diet or GI issue that can be cleared up quickly.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Absolutely.  No question.   I hope your new vet can help.   Flint makes a great point about kitty possibly needing a course of metronidazole - that's a wonder drug for cat diarrhea and soft stools.   It can reduce inflammation in the GI tract even if there is no parasite or bacterial issue.   It is bitter though so feel free to come back and ask for advice on how to give her pills because that's a tough one.  

Another idea I had.....it might be helpful to you if you found a Persian breeder who would let you come over and have a tutorial about Persian brushing and care, some demonstrations.   This is something I wish I had done in the beginning - I didn't ask enough questions.   I only learned once my buddy was ten years old how to brush out the undercoat and that was something I needed to do....having someone show you all the stuff in person on a cat from the get-go could get you ahead of the game.

klnyc07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To answer your last question, when I am scooping the litter and a piece gets pushed against the side of the litterbox it gets a dent (the poop, lol) but doesn't smoosh onto the scoop. It resembles a Tootsie roll candy if you know what they are. What has become of my life? I am comparing cat poop to look-a-like candy. Anyway,  I hope this is a diet or GI issue that can be cleared up quickly.
Thanks!

Hers doesn't look like a Tootsie roll, more like a peanut butter :(

I really hope so too; currently she still has the same problem.

klnyc07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Absolutely.  No question.   I hope your new vet can help.   Flint makes a great point about kitty possibly needing a course of metronidazole - that's a wonder drug for cat diarrhea and soft stools.   It can reduce inflammation in the GI tract even if there is no parasite or bacterial issue.   It is bitter though so feel free to come back and ask for advice on how to give her pills because that's a tough one.  

Another idea I had.....it might be helpful to you if you found a Persian breeder who would let you come over and have a tutorial about Persian brushing and care, some demonstrations.   This is something I wish I had done in the beginning - I didn't ask enough questions.   I only learned once my buddy was ten years old how to brush out the undercoat and that was something I needed to do....having someone show you all the stuff in person on a cat from the get-go could get you ahead of the game.
Unfortunately we didn't make to the new vet last Saturday, but we did reschedule for Monday (I'm off of work - yay!). 

They asked for a stool sample and I dropped off some last Monday, unfortunately the lab said they couldn't test the sample I gave because they had too much litter on them :( 

I have some videos bookmarked about grooming. But yes, I agree, it would be extremely helpful if I could have somebody come over and demonstrate stuff in person. 

Time is the drawback :(

klnyc07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any tips, techniques on how to scoop out a stool sample to bring to the vet?

I was told it's OK to have some litter on it, but I guess the first sample I brought in had TOO much (it was "fresh" though - only few hours before it was to the vet at 9 in the morning). I think it would be almost impossible to get a sample without litter stuck on it at all, unless I try to catch it using a small plastic cup (?). But I'm afraid if she sees me doing that, she'd run away and that would be a bigger mess!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Call your vet and ask if you need to bring a sample - some vets (mine for example) will collect a sample from inside the kitty's bottom during the visit. Those samples are great as if you want to test for things such as giardia and T Foetus, you want a very fresh and not refrigerated sample.

If you have to collect a sample before-hand, the day before pay close attention to when she goes to the litterbox, and as soon as she poops take her away from the litter - the carefully collect the poop and put it into a ziplock baggie. Ask if the sample can be frozen/refrigerated or not - like I said, that will make some tests impossible.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had been given a special litter to use at one point.  It does not stick, so you can collect a clean sample.  It's also used to collect urine, because it won't absorb it.  We had to remove the usual litter from the box, and use what was provided instead.

However, this was practically nothing.  I mean, useless.  Casper totally refused to use the box with such a puny amount of litter in it.  We never managed to get any samples of either to test.

3happycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I don't have a persian but my new lil guy had the similar problem of his stool being soft and "wanting to dig to China"in the litter. Hence litter was everywhere. I got a deeper box and a mat you can get at walmart pet section to help with litter. I made the appointment with the vet immediately and they found he had a parisite. There was some litter on the stool but the lady told me they grind it so it didn't matter. Vets must test differently. Anyway, he was treated for the parasite, neutered and got all his shots. Since the parasite is gone his stools are more normal. And he is much more relaxed. I have owned a few long hair cats that would get a messy behind and found trimming and keeping wipes handy. I think once your cutie is tested and treated, if need be, that should help alot. Big hug for you for rescuing her. Every cat I have owned as an adult have been rescued from a bad place. Almost all (except for one that died at 6 from cancer) have lived 15+. You are doing wonderful in taking care of her and getting help instead of just giving up. I know it is very hard but she should grow out of that. Keeping food fairly stable is important, which you are doing now. It's hard learning what they like, what is good for them and affordable. You will be rewarded with a lot of unconditional love, that's for sure. Thank you for reading and good luck.

3happycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add my cats seem to go most when i am home. I just to keep check with scoop and baggy in handy. If it is that soft maybe you can shave some of that litter. I use a little shovel like the kind for digging in sand. Scrapes the bottom of litter box pretty good. I use tidy cat with blue stripe on bag, clay litter. Even when i had just lucy she would only use that kind or would have accidents. Clumping seem to give her infection as she would rub her bladder area on floor. Each cat is different as to what litter they. If you use coupons the company will send you some if you call the number on the bag