Foundling kitten can't handle solid food without throwing it up

Arielphf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I hope someone here can help me. In September, some friends of my daughter's in MD found a little black kitten in her backyard. She was very tiny and they waited and watched to see if the mother of the kitten would come back to pick her up. After several hours and no sign of the mother, the girls took the kitten in. Their vet said the kitten looked to be about 3 weeks old, and after testing, said the kitten didn't have worms (I don't know where this vet got his degree, but I digress). They started trying to take care of the kitten but it apparently didn't go well. When they found her, on September 11, she weighed just over a pound, which is in the upper ranges of weight for a 3 week old kitten, but, over the next three weeks in their care, she actually lost weight. I don't know exactly what they were trying to feed her, but they reported that the kitten had started vomiting up everything they tried to give her. After pleading online, my daughter convinced me to take the kitten in and try and save her. She went to see her friends and get the kitten, and found that they hadn't been feeding the kitten any milk replacer, and that what the kitten was vomiting was some adult cat food the little one had gotten into.

Needless to say, when we got her, she was in a bad way. Undernourished, with and eye infection, respiratory infection and vomiting. We started her on KMR immediately, along with jars of chicken baby food that she loved. That kind of diet got her to quit vomiting and she started gaining weight. We also had to treat her for fleas (something the girls never treated) and worms (something we were told she didn't have) and the respiratory and eye infections. I legitimately thought we were going to lose her the first couple of nights, but she is now over 3 lbs and way more active and feisty than the girls claimed she was with them. I expect she's finally feeling well enough to cavort!

Now, to my problem. Obviously, the kitten was weaned too early, and obviously, she reacted badly to the adult food that the girls who found her were feeding her. She's done well on a diet of KMR and human baby food, but she's of an age now (10-11 weeks) where she ought to be moving on to a solid type of food. And there's the problem. Every time we've tried her on any type of solid food, even wet canned, she vomits it back up. We have tried the following; Hill's Science Diet Kitten, both ground up and soaked in KMR and dry, Little Friskies kitten wet, wet pate cat food (also little Friskies, I think) and now we have her on Science Diet AD, recovery diet. The only things she doesn't throw up is the baby food and the Science Diet AD food. We've also tried a tiny piece plain cooked chicken and she threw that up too.

While she does race around like a maniac, the vomiting isn't happening right after running, in fact, she usually throws up after resting, like she did last night, after licking a little bit of butter off a dinner plate and falling asleep on my chest.

We've had the vet xray her and he can see nothing amiss in her digestive system. No blockages, nothing congenital, she looks totally normal for an 11 week old kitten. He doesn't know what could be causing her issues, especially since they seem to be more texture based than substance based - we were grinding up the Hill's for a while and that stayed down until she got to the chunks at the bottom of the bowl - and she's been fine with ham, chicken or turkey baby foods.

I'm at a loss. We have other cats in the house and it's hard to keep the dry food the older cats get away from this increasingly active kitten. I also don't want to have to keep buying Science Diet AD at $62 a case! Has anyone ever heard of a kitten that was weaned too early reacting this way to solid food? One of my coworkers mentioned she had heard something about kittens weaned too early having issues with solid food, but she wasn't big on specifics. Has anyone heard of this and has anyone found a resolution? I am hoping she grows out of this behavior as she gets bigger, but in the meanwhile, it's a total hassle. As I told the little kitten, Trinket, - it's a good thing she's cute...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Does she take goats milk? Its prob cheaper than kmr... And its always an ok supplement. If she manages baby food, does she manage other human foods?

If she reacts to some addition to typical cat foods, a solution could be to give her a combo of human-alike food. I understand its extra work, esp as you have other cats, but still, its perhaps a possible way to pursue.

Alternatively, search along cat foods which are supposed to be allerghy safe. Typically they will have very few additions.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know what the consistency is of the Science AD food, but am guessing it is more like a pate? I ask this especially since you mentioned her issue could be more texture than substance related. That would also fall in line with why she can handle the baby food meats. Maybe try some of the Fancy Feast pates for kittens, or other kitten pates? To start off with, you could mix just a bit of the pates with the Science AD food to see if she can handle that. If she does, you could continue to try to convert her to more kitten pate and less AD over time. At her age, she really shouldn't be eating what the other cats eat anyway - regardless of her particular issues.

There is no way to know for sure, but I think given time, she will 'outgrow' this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Arielphf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There is no way to know for sure, but I think given time, she will 'outgrow' this.
I sure hope so! Yes, all new foods are introduced slowly mixing in a little bit to see if they will be tolerated, then more as they prove palatable. So far, anything that is like a very fine pate is able to stay down; Science Diet AD is quite smooth in texture and she seems to like it - though not as much as she likes baby food. My vet was concerned about the baby food not giving her an adequate diet, but its what she has done best on. I did try the pate for kittens that we found at the pet store, Little Friskies, I think, though it might have been Fancy feast, that was chunkier than baby food or the AD.

So, have you ever heard of anything like this? I feel like I am striking out onto new territory with this.

Arielphf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does she take goats milk? Its prob cheaper than kmr... And its always an ok supplement. If she manages baby food, does she manage other human foods?

If she reacts to some addition to typical cat foods, a solution could be to give her a combo of human-alike food. I understand its extra work, esp as you have other cats, but still, its perhaps a possible way to pursue.

Alternatively, search along cat foods which are supposed to be allerghy safe. Typically they will have very few additions.
Oh, she will take anything. She has the tastebuds of a garbage hound and the stomach of the pickiest eater in the world, sadly. Getting her to 'take' foods is not a problem. Getting them to stay down is. It doesn't seem like it is a chemical reaction or allergy, because what she throws up in solid form, she will keep down if you grind it into powder and add KMR to it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did try the pate for kittens that we found at the pet store, Little Friskies, I think, though it might have been Fancy feast, that was chunkier than baby food or the AD...So, have you ever heard of anything like this? I feel like I am striking out onto new territory with this.
I don't think Sheba Perfect Portions come in kitten food, but their consistency isn't too much different from baby food meats. There is a similar product called Nutro, and Iams also has one, but I have never tried it. Maybe these could be tried too? There is another one - also not in kitten food as far I know - Tiki Cat Mousse - nearly puree.

I don't have much direct experience with raising kittens, but I have yet to come across the issue you are describing.

Arielphf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think Sheba Perfect Portions come in kitten food, but their consistency isn't too much different from baby food meats. There is a similar product called Nutro, and Iams also has one, but I have never tried it. Maybe these could be tried too? There is another one - also not in kitten food as far I know - Tiki Cat Mousse - nearly puree.

I don't have much direct experience with raising kittens, but I have yet to come across the issue you are describing.
Thanks, I'll take those suggestions. I hadn't heard of this either, but I am certainly gaining experience as I go along!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin Babycat canned food is also very smooth and mixes well with milk.

If she gets only one bite, will she throw up? I think a gradual introduction is the way to go. One bite per day for a week, one bite twice a day for a week, etc. If she can't take one whole bite at first, mix half a bite with her baby food, and so on. When they're weaned too early their little digestive systems just can't cope so her tummy needs to be trained to digest chunkier foods. Some probiotics might help too, the kinds sold for humans are fine.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
See this thread for a suggestion on adding a pre-mix to baby food to make it more nutritionally complete temporarily:

Maybe try pureeing raw or plain cooked chicken in food processor with some water until it's pate consistency and see if the kitten keeps it down. If it does, you can make a batch of the pureed chicken and add in a pre-mix to make it nutritionally complete. You may want to give a daily supplement of kitten NutriCal or something to be sure your kitten is getting plenty of vitamins and minerals.

Arielphf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Royal Canin Babycat canned food is also very smooth and mixes well with milk.

If she gets only one bite, will she throw up? I think a gradual introduction is the way to go. One bite per day for a week, one bite twice a day for a week, etc. If she can't take one whole bite at first, mix half a bite with her baby food, and so on. When they're weaned too early their little digestive systems just can't cope so her tummy needs to be trained to digest chunkier foods. Some probiotics might help too, the kinds sold for humans are fine.
Well, she eats everything she can get and in the past, even a little bite of stuff with texture has come back up 20 to 40 minutes or so later. We tried a bit of plain chicken once, no bigger than half a penny, and that came up very quickly and caused her visible distress. Yet, she absolutely loves chicken baby food. *shrug*

Thank you for this information. The kitten got off to a rough start, mainly due to people with good intentions who simply didn't know what they were doing. It helps to know that someone out there might have dealt with something like this before and can offer some hope or guidance to let us know we are on the right path, though we must doing something right because she is growing like a weed!

We are definitely proceeding gradually; introducing foods with slight texture in the hopes that they will stay down, though we fervently hope she will be eating normally by the time she is grown.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try kitten or all life stages wet food that has no gums or carrageenan in it. It is easier on the tummies :)

Arielphf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See this thread for a suggestion on adding a pre-mix to baby food to make it more nutritionally complete temporarily:

Maybe try pureeing raw or plain cooked chicken in food processor with some water until it's pate consistency and see if the kitten keeps it down. If it does, you can make a batch of the pureed chicken and add in a pre-mix to make it nutritionally complete. You may want to give a daily supplement of kitten NutriCal or something to be sure your kitten is getting plenty of vitamins and minerals.
Wow, what great advice! Nutrical - I was looking for some kind of supplement and couldn't find one, thanks for this! The food we are giving her now is from the vet and is called Science Diet AD - it's a recovery diet for cats. She seems to hold it down pretty well, so I am sticking to just this for a while to settle her system. Anything with chunks or texture seems to come back up pretty quickly, though you are right, if we puree it, it seems to stay down, so I am not sure how much of it is a sensitivity to the particular food.

I've also started putting her in her cat carrier after she eats. It keeps her quiet, lets her digest in peace, and there's the added benefit of containing any vomit if something does come up (a big plus! I don't handle throw up well. :barfgreen:). So far it has worked, though I might have to get a bigger carrier for her soon! I'm also getting one of those slow feeder bowls, because she eats like it's going out of style - so along with her texture issues, she might simply be eating too fast! :rolleyes: Again, its a good thing she's cute.