Found Two Cats, Don't Know If They Are Owned Or Abanonded?

oreopizza1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In my nieghtborhood I don't have very many neighbords. And the ones that I have met, do not own cats. They are at my house almost all the time. I think one is the mom and the other is its kit. The older one is super freindly, and the other sorta runs off.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. The mother is likely an abandoned stray cat and there is a strong possibility the kitten is feral. Be careful handing the kitten, if it is feral it will likely claw and bite you really hard. When you take the kitten to the vet be certain to tell them it is likely feral so that they handle it appropriately. If either cat bites the vet or vet assistant they will quarantine it until they have it tested for rabies. Being confined for a long period of time will stress the cat(s) out so you don't want that to happen. When at the vet you can have them check the older cat for a id chip as it may be a lost cat and not a stray. If it was my cat I would want it back and would be extremely grateful to the person that found it.

God Bless you for caring for the cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreopizza1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Dad pick up the younger cat and it just layed there and did nothing. The youger cat is sacred of feet though.

oreopizza1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mom bought some food, and gave it to them. They almost knocked the food bowl out of my hands trying to get to it. When you pet them you can feel their bones immediately.

oreopizza1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dad has some mouse traps in our garage, and caught a mouse. He gave it to the cat to see if it would eat it. It swallowed it whole. I do not beleive this it normal cat behavior.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
They have been living outside so for them it is normal behavior. A typical house cat would likely bat it around for a bit playing with it but an outside kitty won't hesitate to eat it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen farm cats eat mice, and they go down whole. A fat housepet can afford to play with their food but a hungry cat can't take that kind of chance, got to get it down while they can. So that's pretty normal. It's nice of your family to take care of the kitties!

oreopizza1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay because other cats that I have heard of refuse to eat it unless they caught it themselves.

oreopizza1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The other day, I found some mice in a pile. Spooks( The younger cat), let me pet it for awhile. Then it turned on its back and let me pet it. It soon saw the mice and showed me how to eat it. It ate it in chunks. After it was done with the first, it started on a second one. I soon went inside after that. Spooks has a gray coat. Boo (Older Cat) has a black coat.

Last edited:

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is perfectly normal behavior for you cat to swallow a mouse. Many people feed their cats a raw food diet and some feed whole prey. This is a species appropriate diet and very healthy for the cats.God bless you and your family for caring for these cats.

oreopizza1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are feeding them on a daily basis, we changed the black cat's name to Loca.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay because other cats that I have heard of refuse to eat it unless they caught it themselves.
Probably ate it because she/he was so hungry, your family is wonderful or caring for these poor lonely kittys, can you post some photos and please keep us updated.

oreopizza1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The gray cat is not as skittish, and will come up to you and roll over to his back, he plays with your hands