Found three little kittens, I have no idea how to take care of them

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can feed them until they are totally full.  It's very difficult to overfeed a kitten.  They may be meowing because they're hungry, but they also may be communicating.  Meowing is part of having a cat.

They're probably too young to really play now.  You should just get them used to being around humans and being handled.  When they are more coordinated you can let them chase toys and run around more.  Don't let them bite or scratch you on purpose now, even in play.  It's a behavior that you'll have to train them out of later.  Simply take your hand away and feed them instead for now.  Later you can redirect with toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

threelilkittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay. Thanks!

I'm uploading a video showing how they move. They can't actually run, just some sort of wobbly walking motion whenever they get around.

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice ad I've never had kittens so young, but I just have to say that they are absolutely precious! Thank you so much for taking these babies in, they're very lucky that you found them! :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, that age is so comical! And cute! I agree they're about 3 weeks old.

Kittens usually meow if they're hungry, or cold, or need to go potty. But if all that is taken care of, well, maybe they just want to meow :tongue2:.

Do they have any little teeth poking through? Once they do, you can start putting a little meat in their milk---I'd recommend meat baby food, but I don't know if jarred meat baby food is readily available where you are (make sure it doesn't have any onion or garlic in it). If so, just put a bit in their milk, it should mix well enough not to clog the nipple. This gets them used to the flavor, and helps satisfy them more than just milk. When they're ready for solid food, milk won't satisfy them any more and they'll cry even after feeding because they need the solids. But, like I said, even after they're on solids, I offer a bottle until about 8 weeks to satify the sucking instinct.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, 80 ml/cc each per day.  the formula is their weight in ounces times 8ml divided by the number of feedings in 24 hours.  You can feed more if they are still hungry.  If you have a scale or can borrow one, weigh them at the same time each day.  they should gain .2 -.4 ounces or 6-10 grams minimum a day.

They look really cute!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look to be about 3 weeks to me, too. By all means, feed them as much as they want, but the 80ml minimum. All the advice you're getting here is good. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I live in the Philippines. Local vet/shelter told me they'd have to be about three months old before giving shots. Their poo seems okay, the "toothpaste-like" consistency is present and they do look like brownish mustard with some semi solid pieces ._. 

Honestly, I was surprised, I thought they'd only pee since I haven't fed them any solid food ._.

Btw, when and why would I need the emergency KMR?
Sorry, I was unclear.  Emergency kmr you did the first, with evaporated milk and egg-yolk.     :)        If you had and gave them goat milk, it would be good too.

As now, you do have the kmr you got from the vet - its surely entirely OK.  Also, if you can get fresh goat milk, its always a good alternative /  supplement.

Re the shots.  In USA and Europe they are given somewhat earlier as several told. Also, as they have no longer access to moms milk, they dont have as much natural antibodies as they would get from momma.  They arent completerly without defences - they got apparently the first 3 weeks worth, so its not so bad considering.  But kittens with momma would be protected by her immune system another three weeks at least.

What sorts of vaccine?  The most important is the so called core vaccine - against distemper and two sorts of "cat flu" Feline Herpesvirus 1, Feline Calicivirus and Feline Panleukopenia Virus Vaccines   Panleukopenia = "distemper".    Also the rabies vaccine is wise to give.   I dont know if rabies vaccine is demanded by law in Philippines, but if there is rabies in Philippines - do it.

Other vaccines only if its necessary. 

OK, re their behavior. Remember, till a couple of days ago, they had their mom with them. Perhaps even some more littermates.  So they of course do miss them. That is why they nibble on you. And surely a big part of the meowing.  Yes be very mommy to them. Be sure they have warmth.   Although I imagine Philippnes are warmer then the cold Sweden - you may eve have the other problem, to NOT having it too hot...

At 3 weeks they begin to be able to regulate themselves their body temp, so its not longer as desperate as with infants.

And re playing - you dont need to play very much - they are three, and can play with themselves - THIS is a big advantage of having at least 2kittens.   :)

But you must do the part of mother role  (btw, some cat males are good caretakers, so if you happen to be a boy, dont feel discriminated  :)  )

And yes, the poo seems to be practically perfect.   I see the eyes seems clear and nice.  I though they perhaps had some "gee" in them, as you mentioned the eyes were still closed.

You are a lucky guy they  are essentially healthy...   :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 3 weeks old they should weigh around 12 ounces. This means they would need to be fed 96 mL of formula apiece each day. If you feed every 3 hours that means each kitten needs to eat 12 mL of formula at EACH feeding. If they are meowing they are hungry.

Thank you for saving them!