Found the best grain free cat food

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

wow thanks a lot it honestly seems like you guys know what you are talking about more than vets i know

okay my one last food id like compared is called T/D cat perscription diet. It is a food my vet has always been telling me to get! Saying its great blah blah blah.

I fed them it for a while but than changed to grain free

I am trying to find the ingred it is a canadian brand i believe brb
Vets do have an agenda with Hills... They have very little, close to none training in nutrition, and the little they get, they usually get from Hills, which is why they push it. If your cat doesn't have a health problem that would require a certain prescription food, get away from it. It is pretty much junk, and the ingredients are awful. Follow the other plan you have in mind

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is costs to feed wet will depend entirely on what you feed and where you live. I pay $1.69 per 3.5 ounce can of Merrick food for Bijou. He eats one can a day - 1/2 in the am and 1/2 at night. In between he has 1/3 cup of Orijen (I am going to be switching him to Acana when the Orijen is finished which should be soon). I do not get a discount by buying by the case - I still pay $1.69 per can. I know Merrick's is much cheaper in the US but I think it's a great food quality wise and as long as I can afford it I'll buy it.

I also pay a lot for Orijen but again, I don't mind paying for quality food as long as I can afford it.

There are good quality foods out there that won't cost as much as I pay, but Bijou is picky and won't eat any other wet foods.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I feed the three who eat wet 3-6 oz 2 times a day so I get up too two days per 13 oz can ....

BUY big cans of wet
.. I also buy a case at a time which cuts 10% off the bill
How do you get your cats to eat "leftovers?" Or do I just have two spoiled picky-pants cats who know mom will open up a new can if they don't eat what I give them the first time?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

How do you get your cats to eat "leftovers?" Or do I just have two spoiled picky-pants cats who know mom will open up a new can if they don't eat what I give them the first time?
You have spoiled cats.

I usually add a couple tablespoons of hot water to the food I take out of the fridge to warm it up a bit for Bijou.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I have 3 eating machines and they actually eat the same flavor for a month strait ....

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

okay my one last food id like compared is called T/D cat perscription diet. It is a food my vet has always been telling me to get! Saying its great blah blah blah.
My vet encourages me to use this food as well, because it is designed for dental health. I believe there are only one or two foods that have been shown to help with dental hygiene, and this is one of them.

I don't like the ingredients either, but one of my guys has a touch of gingivitis, and he's pretty young. I compromise by feeding my choice of food but giving him a few t/d kibbles at night as a treat. If my cat didn't have dental issues, though, I'd probably skip it.

I do wish we had more scientific studies on feline nutrition!