Found Stray cat

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I just found what I think is a stray cat living in our shed. I THINK it's a nutered make but it howling like a female in heat? I can't get a good look at the under carriage 😂 I myself have an un-nutered make kitten so I'm not letting it in the house in case it's sick or is a female, but I gave it food and water. It's so super friendly and I've posted about it on social media and will give it a few days to see if someone claims it. If not, I plan on taking it to the vet and then I'd love to keep it. So my question is, in the meantime, what should I do for this cat to make it feel more comfortable outside? It has really crusty eyes, so if anyone knows what that could be from and what I can do until I can get it to the vet, I'd really appreciate it. My biggest concern is petting the stray and then giving something to my healthy cat. So any tips for keeping the stray and myself as clean as possible so there is no transfer of illnesses is also appreciated. Thanks In advance!

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
It is very kind of you to want to help this kitty. He/She looks almost identical to my Fiona. From the pic, I think that the cat looks very thin and the crusty eyes indicate that no one is really looking after him. Of course, he could have owners who don't take good care of him, so you may get a response to your posts. The fact that it has been living in your shed also indicates that it is probably homeless, not feral by any means. Do you think that the cat has a URI? There are a lot of reasons a cat can have crusty eyes and some are entirely non contagious, but some are.

You are evidently feeding the cat and it has shelter in your shed. I would go to the vet sooner than later though in case it needs some antibiotics or care, along with a reassurance that it is healthy aside from the present condition. Some non fatal cat illnesses like URIs are very easy to transmit, so make sure that you wash your hands. I feed a stray at some apartments nearby and while I think that she is healthy, and I can see that she has been TNRed, I put on shoes and pants that I only wear when I go to feed her and take them off at the back door where I keep them in a place that my cats won't get to them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I also thought of leaving out some jeans to change in and out of to protect myself from scratches. I've decided to call the vet tomorrow and explain the situation and see if I can get ahold of a TNR program if it's not spayed/nutered. I was made aware of a woman who kind of "collects" cats near by and this one might be one of her's. But it's skinny and I don't know if I necessarily feel comfortable bringing it back to her if this is the condition the cats are in.

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww I just found out it's actually been living in our basement ☹ I went out to check the water and was calling and calling and heard meowing from the basement door. you can only access it from outside and the door is broken so that it doesn't close all the way. I'm not sure how long it's been living there until it was comfortable enough with seeing me to come out and make itself known.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow! This cat wants to be in your space for whatever reason. Let the door to stay open for her to use your basement, keep the door closed from your basement to the rest of your house secured. Follow up on your vet and the TNR aspect, and in the meantime keep an eye on this cat, and continue to give her food/water. You might even consider adding a litter box her her. She definitely wants to belong somewhere - and, at this time, IMO, don't worry about the 'cat collector'. This particular cat seems to want something beyond that.

Last edited:

Meg142!

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I scheduled a vet appointment for two weeks from today. Unfortunately they couldn't get me in any sooner. I am thinking that this is a very very young male. Maybe 5 months old? No visible parts, so to speak, and still has a baby meow. he ate a 13oz can of food within the first 24 hours I found him, and seems to be slowing down now so he must have been scarfing down as much as he could incase I didn't come back ☹

My next plan is to set up an old dog crate with some old towels and his food and water inside the basement. That way he's more comfortable and starts learning that this is home base and a safe spot to stay at night. I'm also going to see if he's interested in playing. I try not to pet him too much because I don't know if he has any illnesses that I can give to our other cat and dog. But I know he's really craving human interaction so I'm hoping playing with him will help.

He has briefly met our dog when I let him out yesterday. He did hiss, but didn't run away so that could be a good sign. I really do want to keep him but we will have to wait and see if he will get along with my cat. If not, my best friend is a vet tech and is more than willing to take him if he's not a good fit for our home.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He looked young to me in the pic. This is such good news that he is settling in and he must wonder at his good luck to have food on a regular basis and a place to stay. You might try getting a wand type cat toy that will allow you to play and touch him without actually handling him excessively.