Found out I have diabetes

jeeperscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure everything will be fine, good luck on Monday. Look at it this way at least you know why you've been feeling so awful and now you'll have the right help to do something about it.

hopefully I will have the emotional strength to take care of myself properly
I'll bet you feel so much better this won't even be an issue. Take care and let us know how it goes on Monday

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I'm really not freaked out about it or anything, I'm just a little worried and angry (at myself.)

Originally posted by a_loveless_gem
I used to work in a pharmacy and from there I gained some knowledge of Type II Diabetes. It's definitely not the end of the world. It is relatively easy to manage your condition. The diet isn't hard to follow. It will sound very similiar to advice given to someone to eat healthy.
Yes, I worked in an Thoracic intensive care unit for 13 years and am pretty familiar with Diabetes too. Although I certainly wouldn't claim to be an expert by any means, we saw a lot of diabetics of both Type I and Type II. The only thing I'm really kind of worried about is I have a lot of other medical issues that won't necessarily make things that easy. For example, a little over a year ago I had a tiny stroke. I won't go into everything because you'd all be bored stiff!
But it was hell trying to learn to focus again and to regain balance. And the dizziness.... WOOOO!! Who needs drugs?!

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Knowledge is power. Now that you know the problem you have the power to learn and control all of the factors that you are able to. There will always be things you can't control, but I hope that everything works out well for you! I will keep you in my prayers.

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tammie, I sorry to hear that, but still it´s good that you know, so you can change what needs to be changed.
Good luck! ((((((((((HUG))))))))))

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by mzjazz2u
I can't believe it. I saw someone else mention it a week or two ago and shortly after that I had blood work ordered for me. And today my doctor called me to tell me I have type II diabetes and she's refering me to the Diabetic Health Center. I know it's not the end of the world, if I take care of myself. But it still makes me a little nervous. It also explains a lot of things that have been happening lately. Anyway, I go to the Diabetic center Monday to get educated and hopefully I will have the emotional strength to take care of myself properly! Sheesh!
That person--would be me! I was the one that posted that 2 weeks ago. I actually go to a dietician tomorrow afternoon! I don't have diabetes yet--but have to be careful since my whole family is a diabetic. Best wishes to you with your new lifestyle. Since I have been strict on mine--I have lost an additional 5 pounds in the last month!

yoviher

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(((((HUGS))))))

Both my parents are diabetics and many in my family are diabetics. I know a lot about it... and with how common it is in the family I would easily be next. ): At least it wouldn't be that bad, since I've got already experience with it and could handle it responsibly.

When glucose goes high or low... dizziness, hands trembling, slightly blurred vision... I have to agree, who needs drugs?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by caprice
That person--would be me! I was the one that posted that 2 weeks ago. I actually go to a dietician tomorrow afternoon! I don't have diabetes yet--but have to be careful since my whole family is a diabetic. Best wishes to you with your new lifestyle. Since I have been strict on mine--I have lost an additional 5 pounds in the last month!
I thought it was you! I've been good since I found out and I've already lost 4 lbs. It's not hard when I'm working. We'll see how it goes on my week off (I work seven days then have seven off).

I have to check my sugar at least 2 times a day so at least that is a reminder if I am tempted. Today someone brought in chocolate cake for a co workers birthday and I wasn't even really tempted. So I'm pretty proud of myself so far!

I have to go feed Hallie... Rachel was in the refrigerator and didn't know Hallie was too! When she shut the door, Hallie was caught and got the door shut on her. Do you think she is hungry??
Rachel said "stupid cat" but she really felt terrible. I told her Hallie isn't stupid and in fact is pretty smart. She knows where the food is kept doesn't she?

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that! My prayers are with you!!!!!!

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sam-Yeah the appointment went great! I learned a lot of stuff that I didn't know about. I have lost a total of 27 pounds now!! I can't ask for anything better!! I got about 10 more pounds to go!! YIPPIE!!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by caprice
Sam-Yeah the appointment went great! I learned a lot of stuff that I didn't know about. I have lost a total of 27 pounds now!! I can't ask for anything better!! I got about 10 more pounds to go!! YIPPIE!!
Whoa! Congratulations! How long did it take you to loose that much weight? I've lost 7 lbs in about 10 days and I thought I was doing good!