Found dead cat with collar, dont know where to post found ad?

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found a dead, half eaten cat wearing a collar. I have no idea whos it might be and there is no address on the collar. I put up flyers near the area the cat was found describing what color the cat was and collar color, and posted an ad on craigslist under lost and found with my town location. Petfinder no longer allows lost and found ads which is dumb because thats the first place I thought to post.

Is there any other website people check for lost pets?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The body smells horrible and is ripped apart and decomposing, I took a photo I could show as proof. They are closed now but I cannot move the body its too gruesome. Unless they can meet me at the area to scan it tomorrow.

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called the local animal shelter and animal hospital.

The animal hospital doesn't even allow you to bring in a dead animal to scan which is ridiculous!
The shelter said they don't allow it either, and I had them look in there records for a lost cat no description matches who I found. They made a note if anyone asks but they don't put up found cat ads at all.

This poor kitty belonged to someone and unless I find a chip scanner I'll have no way to find the owner. :(

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If there are any cat sanctuaries where you live, call them and see if you can borrow a scanner or meet you where the cat is. 

Shame about the policy of the animal shelter.

Good luck.

bugmankeith

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have some good news and bad news. The good news, I found a person who works for a local rescue who came by and was able to scan the cat, the bad news, the cat had no microchip. :( At least I know I did all I could to try and find the owner though.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep the collar if you can.  Perhaps the owner will show up looking for a lost cat.  Maybe the cat wandered too far from home. 

You did as much as you could.  Thank you for trying.

RIP unknown kitty

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep the collar if you can.  Perhaps the owner will show up looking for a lost cat.  Maybe the cat wandered too far from home. 

You did as much as you could.  Thank you for trying.

RIP unknown kitty

Yeah. But as you did write him up as well you could, there is a possibility the owner reads, but dont contact you.

That is what befell me once, when I was in a similiar situation.  I wrote him up in the willages messages table. I found the owners name and adresse. She wasnt at home, but I left a letter in her post box in her door.

I phoned the Animal Society, as I heard a kitten inside. They promised they would continue to try to reach her.

The Animal society allowed me to bury the deceased at their animal burial place for free, so I did it. And I wept and had the sorrow for it.  So it was done, thus this cats soul does rests it peace.

But the owner never contacted me.

Tx a lot for caring.

RIP, unkown kitty.

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our local animal control picks up all dead animals and takes them to the shelter to be scanned for microchips.  If they have one, they at least try to call the owner and let them know their pet is deceased.  We have a freezer to keep dead animals until they can be disposed of.

scm15010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Post it on craigslist lost and found and pets with description,  and you can also search and see if a cat is posted fitting description. Less is more w/craigslist searches like just "cat" or by dominate color.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our local animal control picks up all dead animals and takes them to the shelter to be scanned for microchips.  If they have one, they at least try to call the owner and let them know their pet is deceased.  We have a freezer to keep dead animals until they can be disposed of.

:yeah: Same here in my county. Animal control would come and pick up the body and try to locate the owner. I am soooo very sorry for this situation. How utterly upsetting for you and this poor, poor kitty. :sobbing: